The Korean Ferry Disaster | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Korean Ferry Disaster

BusyMom

Medalist
Any latest information? Couldn't find any updates on survivors. Do they manage to rescue any more kids? Hope for some good news.

They've issued arrest warrants for the captain and two crew members. The captain apparently left the inexperienced third mate in charge at one point in the journey.

I know there are a lot of people who resent government regulations on various industries, but this accident may turn out to show that rigorous procedures and constant practice of protocols ought to be mandatory in this branch of transportation. Whether this system is set up by self-policing within an industry or an outside body such as a government agency doesn't much matter, but when it doesn't exist, this is the result. Did the boat make a wrong turn? Did it turn too fast and get overbalanced? These are matters of human error that could have been prevented. Finally, when the accident did happen, why weren't procedures followed? Why were dozens of lifeboats left unfilled? Complying with even some of those procedures would have saved perhaps hundreds of innocent lives.

To add to the anguish, the vice-principal of the school, who survived the crash, was so devastated that he has apparently taken his own life. If crew laziness is at the bottom of this tragedy, here is one more result of it.

You can't sleep through life and expect things to go smoothly, unless you have no job and no other life obligations. Yes, I am furious. I hope you all are, too.

BusyMom

Medalist
They've issued arrest warrants for the captain and two crew members. The captain apparently left the inexperienced third mate in charge at one point in the journey.

I know there are a lot of people who resent government regulations on various industries, but this accident may turn out to show that rigorous procedures and constant practice of protocols ought to be mandatory in this branch of transportation. Whether this system is set up by self-policing within an industry or an outside body such as a government agency doesn't much matter, but when it doesn't exist, this is the result. Did the boat make a wrong turn? Did it turn too fast and get overbalanced? These are matters of human error that could have been prevented. Finally, when the accident did happen, why weren't procedures followed? Why were dozens of lifeboats left unfilled? Complying with even some of those procedures would have saved perhaps hundreds of innocent lives.

To add to the anguish, the vice-principal of the school, who survived the crash, was so devastated that he has apparently taken his own life. If crew laziness is at the bottom of this tragedy, here is one more result of it.

You can't sleep through life and expect things to go smoothly, unless you have no job and no other life obligations. Yes, I am furious. I hope you all are, too.

Of course I am very furious, especially when the innocent youngsters became the victims of ignorant selfish b******. Korean government keeping people in the dark is not a good sign. Today news only involve around the VP suicide, the arrest of the captain and co. and about pumping oxygen into the ferry. Nothing at all about the rescue.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Of course I am very furious, especially when the innocent youngsters became the victims of ignorant selfish b******. Korean government keeping people in the dark is not a good sign. Today news only involve around the VP suicide, the arrest of the captain and co. and about pumping oxygen into the ferry. Nothing at all about the rescue.
Still nothing new about the rescue: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27077694
Damn, I can't image how parents of these teenagers feel at this moment. :cry:

Oh, no!

One problem with coastal ferries is that they have a large passenger capacity to begin with, and they're often overcrowded because people need to get to their destination and can't wait for the next boat. So when something bad happens, the loss of life is greater, and in fact the extra people can make the boat even less stable. But I imagine that a country like Indonesia really depends on such ferries because it's an archipelago spread across hundreds of inhabited islands and many additional smaller ones. There's no large continental mainland.

My co-worker, who is Korean, says that although she didn't have any loved ones on the ferry, she has been crying since she heard. It hurts for everyone who hears about such an event, but when it's your country or your city, the anguish is even greater.

Sometimes reading the news is the hardest thing you can do all day.

Jewels

On the Ice
Oh, no!

One problem with coastal ferries is that they have a large passenger capacity to begin with, and they're often overcrowded because people need to get to their destination and can't wait for the next boat. So when something bad happens, the loss of life is greater, and in fact the extra people can make the boat even less stable. But I imagine that a country like Indonesia really depends on such ferries because it's an archipelago spread across hundreds of inhabited islands and many additional smaller ones. There's no large continental mainland.

My co-worker, who is Korean, says that although she didn't have any loved ones on the ferry, she has been crying since she heard. It hurts for everyone who hears about such an event, but when it's your country or your city, the anguish is even greater.

Sometimes reading the news is the hardest thing you can do all day.

Our family cried too. And now it being near impossible that there can be more survivors......

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I too can't help but feel anguished by this tragedy as a fellow human being, more so because I live here in Korea and also it being Holy Week right now for us Catholics where we reflect on Jesus's Calvary. It is Calvary that the families of those still missing are experiencing right now.

It's a good point that Olympia made about the need for regulations in the transport industry. Indeed at least under my country's law, the contract of carriage carries with it the highest form of diligence, i.e., "extraordinary diligence," higher even than that of a good father of the family, the definition of "ordinary diligence." The challenge is to make sure that regulations, assuming they are in place, are strictly observed by the carriers and enforced by the appropriate government agency/ies to prevent similar tragedies in the future.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm sure the families will appreciate the money.

I just hope Yuna's fans aren't going to use this opportunity to bash or shame those skaters who aren't as well-off as Yuna for not donating.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
I just hope Yuna's fans aren't going to use this opportunity to bash or shame those skaters who aren't as well-off as Yuna for not donating.
No. The tragedy in Korea and Yuna is Korean, so that's makes sense for her to help her country. Other skaters are not responsible for this situation, so many thanks to them if they care, if not it's still absolutely fine.