The Korean Ferry Disaster | Golden Skate

The Korean Ferry Disaster

skateluvr

Record Breaker
My heart goes out to Korea grieving so many young ones from the capsized ferry. RIP and all are with God. So sad for families.:cry::cry:

MiRé

Match Penalty
This news struck me so hard this morning...... I hope there are more survivors

Jewels

On the Ice
Ah so this is where the non figure skating related posts go.... Please let there be more survivors, hundreds of them just high school students, 16 year olds..... what have they done wrong??? oh god

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
I saw the news this morning, such a desafortunate accident, I hope they find more survivors because there are still missing a lot :/

Dreadful, dreadful news. I didn't realize how young so many of them were. John Donne wrote that "any man's death diminishes me," but the death of young people is an extra loss. What would they have done to move the world forward? What scientists, artists, inventors, and diplomats were taken from us and from their families on that ferry? May their loved ones find comfort.

figureskateobasan

On the Ice
I heard that the captain and the crew fled even before evacuating the passengers.. hope they investigate them thoroughly!

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
A national tragedy. I am praying that more survivors will be found and also for strength and solace for the victims' families.

GF2445

Record Breaker
This is so sad. The weather has gotten worse which is hampering rescue efforts.
Most of those kids were high school children going on a school trip! This is tragic.

9 confirmed dead. :(

BusyMom

Medalist
It will be more heart wrenching in the day to come. This is just a confirmed dead.

During 2004 Tsunami, the first day the confirmed dead in Thailand was under a 100 and the next day was in a few hundred range. But you could see body lying everywhere. The toll climbed up drastically after the first few days. As you all know, the final toll in Thailand was around 250,000 more or less.

This ferry accident casualties are mainly teenagers. It will haunt the entire country for a long time. :cry:

MiRé

Match Penalty
20 confirmed deaths so far.... I can't imagine what the parents of missing children are feeling right now...

Meoima

Match Penalty
Almost 300 people remain unaccounted, and most of them are high school kids, omg I can't believe such a disaster could happen. :cry:

cooper

Medalist
this is a national tragedy in korea... it's heartbreaking especially when you read messages from the victims to their families... :cry: i'm praying that they can rescue all those who are still inside the ferry.. and stay strong.. :cry:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Not everyone had made it to the top deck, because "the announcement asked not to move since it could be dangerous. So everyone stayed where they were. But when the water started coming in, people started moving to the upper level," he said.
What kind of order is this? The officers who abandoned the ships and passenger? Is there any news regarding this? I am so sad, they are just teenagers.:cry:

Jewels

On the Ice
What kind of order is this? The officers who abandoned the ships and passenger? Is there any news regarding this? I am so sad, they are just teenagers.:cry:

I just saw the news, when the ship started to sink, they told the passengers to stay put because it would be safer. Well, I can understand they may have made a mistake there. But what I can't understand is, at 9'oclock, the police who had been reported, told them to start moving out of the ship, but they still told them to stay inside, and we STILL don't know why. And when it became too dangerous they got out of the ship ALONE. The first reporter wasn't the captian either, it was one of the students' parents I think. Really, I'd like to question his sanity. One crew, who was only 20 or 21(22 in Korean age) girl herself, was the only one to check all the students, hand out the lifevests, and told them to get out of the ship. And she died in the process. :cry:
It makes me sick, all those high school students who died knowing nothing. If I were them, I would have believed what the crew told them too, because who else would they believe when they knew they could die? When the ship sank.....god I don't even want to think about it....and their parents......:cry::cry:

That is nauseating indeed, Jewels. I also read that only one lifeboat was deployed from the ferry. It sounds as if there was no disaster plan in place, or as if the crew was not trained in such a plan. These coastal ferry boats are huge, carrying hundreds of people, so any accident can mean a huge loss of life. But it seems as though there was a lot of human error involved in this particular situation, which is inexcusable. There's going to be a lot more misery and anger in this story before it's through, I fear.