The Korean Ferry Disaster | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The Korean Ferry Disaster

it is generous, but money will not replace children

Yes, I'm sure YuNa would love the magical power to turn the clock back and rescue all the passengers, but this isn't something that anyone can do. So she does what she can, as anyone would. Why put a negative spin on it?

Meoima

Match Penalty
I am so sad for such tragedy to happen. When I heard the news, I hope miracle will happen but time is against us. So sad for these children. I know their families will appreciate Yuna's good will.

mikaboo

Medalist
That's very generous of her. Children who survived, but lost their parent/s could use the money for their education as well.

shine

Record Breaker
So, so sad. It's hard to believe that this kind of tragedy can still happen in this day and age. I will pray for their families and hope the victims are all in a better place now.

cooper

Medalist
I'm sure the families will appreciate the money.

I just hope Yuna's fans aren't going to use this opportunity to bash or shame those skaters who aren't as well-off as Yuna for not donating.

not at all.. i think this tragedy is very personal to the koreans.. more likely they're in mourning right now, others are angry for the lack of response with the government from the start.. while others are still hoping that there is a miracle somehow for more survivors inside the ferry..
there are still 200 plus missing.. majority of them are only high-school students..

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This is another tragedy; my hear tgoes out to the families and friends of those lost. It really is about the frailty of life; i can't believe the Captain didn't do more and was one of the first off the ship.On a side note how in the world did this get into these discussion threads - this has NOTHING to do with figure skating at all - though it is important and worthy of prayer, notice and wishes of good will. I mean disasters happen all over the world; how did this get into FS forum??? In the US we there have been tragic floods in Washington State. In Canada a police officer's son with no motive and thought to be committing suicide killed 5 young people. At the Crimea in the Ukraine is still a place of unrest. Not to mention the Malaysian airplane search continues. I know many are thinking it, Korea, Yuna Kim and there are a lot of Yuna fans but still this is pretty random to get here.

BusyMom

Medalist
At this rate, it's more of a recovery mission than a rescue mission.

:cry: seems that way. There is also the fight between parents on the issue of the mission too. Some parents wanted the government using the crane to pull the ferry up to shore because they want to have the bodies of their love ones intact. One heartbreaking statement stated that they want a chance to hold their kids bodies for the last time. The ones who opposed the idea didn't want to risk a chance of saving any survivors.

lady_bee

Medalist
This is another tragedy; my hear tgoes out to the families and friends of those lost. It really is about the frailty of life; i can't believe the Captain didn't do more and was one of the first off the ship.On a side note how in the world did this get into these discussion threads - this has NOTHING to do with figure skating at all - though it is important and worthy of prayer, notice and wishes of good will. I mean disasters happen all over the world; how did this get into FS forum??? In the US we there have been tragic floods in Washington State. In Canada a police officer's son with no motive and thought to be committing suicide killed 5 young people. At the Crimea in the Ukraine is still a place of unrest. Not to mention the Malaysian airplane search continues. I know many are thinking it, Korea, Yuna Kim and there are a lot of Yuna fans but still this is pretty random to get here.

Let me express my sincere condolences to the victims and their families, first.
Then, I agree with Skater boy & sky_fly20. I wonder why this topic on “The Edge”, which is “the main forum for general figure skating topics and discussions.”?

Let me express my sincere condolences to the victims and their families, first.
Then, I agree with Skater boy & sky_fly20. I wonder why this topic on “The Edge”, which is “the main forum for general figure skating topics and discussions.”?

It's been in the Cafe section for days. I don't know who moved it here. I'm sure the mods will sort things out.

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
This whole thing is heartbreaking. And if the press is to be believed, the mismanagement is insane.

I'm glad Yuna contributed, she's very philanthropic.

heyang

Record Breaker
That's very generous of her. Children who survived, but lost their parent/s could use the money for their education as well.

Very true.

As others have mentioned, the money can be used towards funeral expenses. Funerals in the US can cost $10,000 or more and most people don't have life insurance policies on young people. When my father passed away when I was a teenager, we realized how expensive services can be. So, my mother paid for term life insurance policies for my brother and I, just in case something happened to either of us, she would not have to worry about the expenses.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I started it in café thread...who moved it to edge????? very odd....OT yay yuna-as a person she is top notch!!!!