Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Korean Ferry Disaster

Say no to horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    I click F5 button repeatedly on CNN site, but nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    I click F5 button repeatedly on CNN site, but nothing new.
    Not sure if CNN is current, but according to Korean portal sites, death toll has risen to 25..... This is so sad

Not everyone had made it to the top deck, because "the announcement asked not to move since it could be dangerous. So everyone stayed where they were. But when the water started coming in, people started moving to the upper level," he said.
    What kind of order is this? The officers who abandoned the ships and passenger? Is there any news regarding this? I am so sad, they are just teenagers.

Custom Title
    What kind of order is this? The officers who abandoned the ships and passenger? Is there any news regarding this? I am so sad, they are just teenagers.
    I just saw the news, when the ship started to sink, they told the passengers to stay put because it would be safer. Well, I can understand they may have made a mistake there. But what I can't understand is, at 9'oclock, the police who had been reported, told them to start moving out of the ship, but they still told them to stay inside, and we STILL don't know why. And when it became too dangerous they got out of the ship ALONE. The first reporter wasn't the captian either, it was one of the students' parents I think. Really, I'd like to question his sanity. One crew, who was only 20 or 21(22 in Korean age) girl herself, was the only one to check all the students, hand out the lifevests, and told them to get out of the ship. And she died in the process.
    It makes me sick, all those high school students who died knowing nothing. If I were them, I would have believed what the crew told them too, because who else would they believe when they knew they could die? When the ship sank.....god I don't even want to think about it....and their parents......

Custom Title
    That is nauseating indeed, Jewels. I also read that only one lifeboat was deployed from the ferry. It sounds as if there was no disaster plan in place, or as if the crew was not trained in such a plan. These coastal ferry boats are huge, carrying hundreds of people, so any accident can mean a huge loss of life. But it seems as though there was a lot of human error involved in this particular situation, which is inexcusable. There's going to be a lot more misery and anger in this story before it's through, I fear.

Now it's only bow remains above the water. This is so disastrous. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27075632

Custom Title
    Any latest information? Couldn't find any updates on survivors. Do they manage to rescue any more kids? Hope for some good news.

Custom Title
    They've issued arrest warrants for the captain and two crew members. The captain apparently left the inexperienced third mate in charge at one point in the journey.

I know there are a lot of people who resent government regulations on various industries, but this accident may turn out to show that rigorous procedures and constant practice of protocols ought to be mandatory in this branch of transportation. Whether this system is set up by self-policing within an industry or an outside body such as a government agency doesn't much matter, but when it doesn't exist, this is the result. Did the boat make a wrong turn? Did it turn too fast and get overbalanced? These are matters of human error that could have been prevented. Finally, when the accident did happen, why weren't procedures followed? Why were dozens of lifeboats left unfilled? Complying with even some of those procedures would have saved perhaps hundreds of innocent lives.

To add to the anguish, the vice-principal of the school, who survived the crash, was so devastated that he has apparently taken his own life. If crew laziness is at the bottom of this tragedy, here is one more result of it.

You can't sleep through life and expect things to go smoothly, unless you have no job and no other life obligations. Yes, I am furious. I hope you all are, too.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    They've issued arrest warrants for the captain and two crew members. The captain apparently left the inexperienced third mate in charge at one point in the journey.

I know there are a lot of people who resent government regulations on various industries, but this accident may turn out to show that rigorous procedures and constant practice of protocols ought to be mandatory in this branch of transportation. Whether this system is set up by self-policing within an industry or an outside body such as a government agency doesn't much matter, but when it doesn't exist, this is the result. Did the boat make a wrong turn? Did it turn too fast and get overbalanced? These are matters of human error that could have been prevented. Finally, when the accident did happen, why weren't procedures followed? Why were dozens of lifeboats left unfilled? Complying with even some of those procedures would have saved perhaps hundreds of innocent lives.

To add to the anguish, the vice-principal of the school, who survived the crash, was so devastated that he has apparently taken his own life. If crew laziness is at the bottom of this tragedy, here is one more result of it.

You can't sleep through life and expect things to go smoothly, unless you have no job and no other life obligations. Yes, I am furious. I hope you all are, too.
    Of course I am very furious, especially when the innocent youngsters became the victims of ignorant selfish b******. Korean government keeping people in the dark is not a good sign. Today news only involve around the VP suicide, the arrest of the captain and co. and about pumping oxygen into the ferry. Nothing at all about the rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom View Post
    Of course I am very furious, especially when the innocent youngsters became the victims of ignorant selfish b******. Korean government keeping people in the dark is not a good sign. Today news only involve around the VP suicide, the arrest of the captain and co. and about pumping oxygen into the ferry. Nothing at all about the rescue.
    Still nothing new about the rescue: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27077694
    Damn, I can't image how parents of these teenagers feel at this moment.

Custom Title
    Still nothing new about the rescue: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27077694
    Damn, I can't image how parents of these teenagers feel at this moment.
    When CNN, BBC, Reuters and any other major news agencies keep repost only the early reports usually means they were kept in the dark too. Make me think that someone in the high place owns this doom ferry company.

Custom Title
    More bad news from my region: Boat Capsized in Indonesia.
    http://abcnews.go.com/International/...scued-23375257

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom View Post
    More bad news from my region: Boat Capsized in Indonesia.
    http://abcnews.go.com/International/...scued-23375257
    Oh, no!

One problem with coastal ferries is that they have a large passenger capacity to begin with, and they're often overcrowded because people need to get to their destination and can't wait for the next boat. So when something bad happens, the loss of life is greater, and in fact the extra people can make the boat even less stable. But I imagine that a country like Indonesia really depends on such ferries because it's an archipelago spread across hundreds of inhabited islands and many additional smaller ones. There's no large continental mainland.

My co-worker, who is Korean, says that although she didn't have any loved ones on the ferry, she has been crying since she heard. It hurts for everyone who hears about such an event, but when it's your country or your city, the anguish is even greater.

Sometimes reading the news is the hardest thing you can do all day.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Oh, no!

One problem with coastal ferries is that they have a large passenger capacity to begin with, and they're often overcrowded because people need to get to their destination and can't wait for the next boat. So when something bad happens, the loss of life is greater, and in fact the extra people can make the boat even less stable. But I imagine that a country like Indonesia really depends on such ferries because it's an archipelago spread across hundreds of inhabited islands and many additional smaller ones. There's no large continental mainland.

My co-worker, who is Korean, says that although she didn't have any loved ones on the ferry, she has been crying since she heard. It hurts for everyone who hears about such an event, but when it's your country or your city, the anguish is even greater.

Sometimes reading the news is the hardest thing you can do all day.
    Our family cried too. And now it being near impossible that there can be more survivors......

Custom Title
    I too can't help but feel anguished by this tragedy as a fellow human being, more so because I live here in Korea and also it being Holy Week right now for us Catholics where we reflect on Jesus's Calvary. It is Calvary that the families of those still missing are experiencing right now.

It's a good point that Olympia made about the need for regulations in the transport industry. Indeed at least under my country's law, the contract of carriage carries with it the highest form of diligence, i.e., "extraordinary diligence," higher even than that of a good father of the family, the definition of "ordinary diligence." The challenge is to make sure that regulations, assuming they are in place, are strictly observed by the carriers and enforced by the appropriate government agency/ies to prevent similar tragedies in the future.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast