SOI Japan Youtube video | Golden Skate

SOI Japan Youtube video

hippomoomin

Record Breaker

ioanablabla

On the Ice
Country
Romania
I'm not trying to be picky or to reopen the same hate-debate towards Sotnikova, but waving at the audience... it kinda ruins the idea of a performance for me. Is it something that other skater do often too?

titatovenaar

Rinkside
I'm not trying to be picky or to reopen the same hate-debate towards Sotnikova, but waving at the audience... it kinda ruins the idea of a performance for me. Is it something that other skater do often too?

Yes shame on her for encouraging audience interaction.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I think it's quite common in exhibitions, especially among male skaters.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I thought Sotnikova moved well, has pretty good body control and was doing her best to sell this EX.
However, when my mom and I were watching it together she asked, 'is this program longer than everyone else's?' -A bad sign if a program 'feels' long. For me a good program will make me forget that time is passing, a so-so one will make me think about the time.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I'm not sure who sings that version of "Come Together" Adelina used, but it sounds like nails on a blackboard to me. :eek: It made it hard to concentrate on her skating.

ioanablabla

On the Ice
Country
Romania
I feel is more than encouraging audience interaction. And don't get me wrong, I like the program (parts of it actually, i find some moves really cool), but she does it A LOT! and it feels like it slows down the flow of it because apart of moving her arms to make the audience clap nothing else happens in those moments.

I just feel it makes it feel fragmented, and that;s a shame.

I feel is more than encouraging audience interaction. And don't get me wrong, I like the program (parts of it actually, i find some moves really cool), but she does it A LOT! and it feels like it slows down the flow of it because apart of moving her arms to make the audience clap nothing else happens in those moments.

I just feel it makes it feel fragmented, and that;s a shame.

I think it's appropriate in an exhibition or a show. Skaters like Philippe Candeloro used to do that all the time.

Thanks so much for the links, by the way, Hippomoomin! Mao looks spectacular. That muted peach shade of her costume is perfect on her!

BusyMom

Medalist
I think it's appropriate in an exhibition or a show. Skaters like Philippe Candeloro used to do that all the time.

:agree: Most of Japanese skaters also do that in most of their shows. No need to point the finger on a poor girl.

Apart from her bad choice of music, this program is getting better and better. The one from the Russian show is very boring. At least she put her effort to make it better. She always gives us something different than putting part of the competitive programs together with the vocal music which lately happened more than too often.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I see nothing wrong with pointing/waving/interacting with the audience. It's part of the whole exhibition experience. Mao gets off the ice, goes into the crowd and shakes hands with people in the audience in her Smile/Wonderful World EX... Adelina wasn't exactly waving in a "oh hey, hi" kinda way. The wave is more of an illustration of the lyrics which say "come together..." I thought it worked fine with the music and program.

I agree re: her choice of that version of the song. She could have stuck with the original Beatles version or went with the even better Michael Jackson version (my favorite!), which probably would have worked better given her costume and even some of her choreography which looked a little MJ-esque.

I do think the music ran too long at the end but overall it was a nice program. Nice smooth edges and she even looked a little more polished in some of her movements. I think she has all of the goods to be a legitimate champion...it's her packaging that gives her that odd almost tacky look on the ice sometimes. Better costumes, music, choreography...she just needs an on-ice makeover and she'd be amazing.

Glad to see her having fun and receiving such a warm reception from the Japanese audience...I'd expect no less from them though. Japan is like the Hollywood of figure skating. Best fans in the world! :)

Icey

Record Breaker

Seems like she is trying to turn that into a trademark feature of her skating. Maybe not so bad here, but certainly not appropriate imo in competition (as she did at the Olympics). I hope someone advises her to stop doing that. I've already begun to find it irritating lol.