Artistry and Scoring Amongst the Youngsters | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Artistry and Scoring Amongst the Youngsters

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What do you think of Maria Vigalova(?) and Egor Zakroev. I started watching them for a completely shallow reason. I was looking up the protocols for the GPF and they when I scrolled down to check something on the Ladies one when I happened to see the podium picture for the JR pairs. Something about Maria's face was fascinating and I ended up watching their programs. They capture my attention despite the fact that I dislike some of their choreography and I'm indifferent to their music. Well, that's unfair. I think it's just the choreo, because there's something very interesting about their SP music.

SP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w1zWTlLkt8
LP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsGBmIXpDdE

Unfortunately, they are going to have to move up to Seniors because he has aged out under the new rules. Most of the Russian pairs teams that skated in the JGP/JW this past season have aged out, including:

TARASOVA / MOROZOV 19 and 21
CHERNIVSKAIA / SOUZA-KORDYERU 15 and 21
GAINETDINOVA / BICH 16 and 21
FEDOROVA / MIROSHKIN 16 and 20
VIGALOVA / ZAKROEV 15 and 20

NAGALATI / BOBROV and DAVANKOVA / DEPUTAT have split; DEPUTAT is skating Senior with BAZAROVA and DAVANKOVA is skating with BOBROV (at 16 and 17 they will stay junior).

There is reportedly a proposal to cancel the new age rules and return the top age for men to 20 (instead of 19 as in the new rule). If the proposal is passed at the congress in June, that would give VIGALOVA/ZAKROEV and FEDEROVA/MIROSHKIN one more year as juniors.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Well, they did come in third at Russian Nationals, just behind two Olympic entries so conceivably they could do alright on the Senior GP. It would be better if they had another year in JR though. Would they even get any SGP spots?

I looked at the seasons best scores and they're currently #23, but there are about 3-4(?) teams not competing from that list though so they are guaranteed one spot. Will they be able to have 2?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Joshua is still the more technical. His jumps are superior and he is closer to having a consistent quad. Poor thing keeps getting injured, though. They both have good IJS spins. Jason has more unorthodox positions which grab your attention instantly and can make you go "whoa."

Jason I don't think has ever landed two clean triple axels in one competition. I tend to appreciate Jason's programs more, from an ijs perspective. They are very difficult and expertly choreographed. He's a great performer.

Joshua's jumps are gorgeous. Looooooooooove to watch them. He also has that gorgeous long camel line that I love so much. Jason's hard work has paid off and now he's Little Mr Bendy so I love seeing what new or further-pushed positions he can come up with each season.

By the way, Jason almost always lands two 3As at each competition now, since I don't think he's had a < call on his SP one all season, and he almost always nails the first 3A of the LP. It's a confidence thing, I think. Once he's even more comfortable with the jump, it'll get better, naturally.

But that Junior Worlds was a thing of beauty - three 3As total, no < calls - one in the SP and two in the LP.

Nope. Josh fell on his quad in the FS. In fact, Jason won the FS and beat Josh by a few points.

The only time Josh has landed a clean quad was at JGP Lake Placid in 2013. It's not a consistent jump for him yet.

Here we go - 2012 JGP Lake Placid. Josh lands the quad and it's simply gorgeous, like butter and silk. And I also love his cute little grin when he realises he's landed it! (This also has a great example of his lovely 3A-3T.)

The point difference between Josh and Jason at JW2013 was four points. Jason muffed his combo in the short, doing a 3Lz-turn-2T instead of a 3Lz-3T, which cost him approximately...four points. But then, if Josh had landed the quad, the result wouldn't have been in doubt - though I'd have been VERY interested to see how things would have gone if they'd both been squeaky clean. I suspect the judges would have given it to Josh anyway, but Liebestraume was so beautiful...

Components

Match Penalty
Joshua's jumps are gorgeous. Looooooooooove to watch them. He also has that gorgeous long camel line that I love so much. Jason's hard work has paid off and now he's Little Mr Bendy so I love seeing what new or further-pushed positions he can come up with each season.

By the way, Jason almost always lands two 3As at each competition now, since I don't think he's had a < call on his SP one all season, and he almost always nails the first 3A of the LP. It's a confidence thing, I think. Once he's even more comfortable with the jump, it'll get better, naturally.

But that Junior Worlds was a thing of beauty - three 3As total, no < calls - one in the SP and two in the LP.

Here we go - 2012 JGP Lake Placid. Josh lands the quad and it's simply gorgeous, like butter and silk. And I also love his cute little grin when he realises he's landed it! (This also has a great example of his lovely 3A-3T.)

The point difference between Josh and Jason at JW2013 was four points. Jason muffed his combo in the short, doing a 3Lz-turn-2T instead of a 3Lz-3T, which cost him approximately...four points. But then, if Josh had landed the quad, the result wouldn't have been in doubt - though I'd have been VERY interested to see how things would have gone if they'd both been squeaky clean. I suspect the judges would have given it to Josh anyway, but Liebestraume was so beautiful...

I meant in the FS. And he's prone to URing other jumps as well.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I meant in the FS. And he's prone to URing other jumps as well.

He's has five perfect SPs with 3A, 3F-3T, 3Z in a row with no URs (Nebelhorn, Skate America, Trophee Eric Bompard, Nationals, Olympics)

Besides the second 3A, his only URs this season was on a 3F at Nebelhorn FS, a 3S fall at the Sochi team event FS, and a the 3T on his 3A-3T at Sochi FS. That's not exactly what I call "prone" to UR. When I think "prone" I think some sort of pattern. The only jump he is prone to UR in is the second 3A.

Jason isn't the best jumper no, but he's good enough.

Components

Match Penalty
l said the FS . I don't care about something I wasn't even talking about . Sorry for the confusion.

Prone means he's often borderline on rotation which is true.

I didn't say he was bad.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
l said the FS . I don't care about something I wasn't even talking about . Sorry for the confusion.

Prone means he's often borderline on rotation which is true.

I didn't say he was bad.

No, you said that he'd never landed two clean 3As in COMPETITION. A competition is made up of the SP and the LP whether you like it or not, so your claim was untrue and has been debunked. (If you persist with the long program theory - your claim that he's never landed two clean 3As in an LP has also been debunked.)

Jason does need a little more height, that's true, especially in the second jumps of his combos. But he's hardly ever borderline rotation. I fancy that once he gets those twelve pounds back, and maybe a little more, he'll start getting better height.

That's what you seem to be saying.

Components

Match Penalty
No, you said that he'd never landed two clean 3As in COMPETITION. A competition is made up of the SP and the LP whether you like it or not, so your claim was untrue and has been debunked. (If you persist with the long program theory - your claim that he's never landed two clean 3As in an LP has also been debunked.)

Jason does need a little more height, that's true, especially in the second jumps of his combos. But he's hardly ever borderline rotation. I fancy that once he gets those twelve pounds back, and maybe a little more, he'll start getting better height.

That's what you seem to be saying.

I meant in the FS. You can't seriously argue my intent with me.