Artistry and Scoring Amongst the Youngsters | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Artistry and Scoring Amongst the Youngsters

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^did you see the two videos I posted on the last page. Her SP before GP and at Worlds are drastically improved...technically and artistically!

Manitou

Medalist
That is why I'm not buying what she is selling. To my eyes, she is legitimately talented as a skater, but performance-wise she is robotic, and does not rate the ridiculously high PCS scores she gets.

You know what? It's a prediction thread, and I don't predict anything because every time I do that I screw my fave.
So we can only insult each other over a skater's artistry, or lack thereof, and we will go nowhere because everybody has own ideas what is "shmartistic" or "robotic" and what is not. I only humbly hope she will be good enough the next season, and the seasons after that, to win all possible golds, because her talent deserves it.

And I can't tolerate fake divas, I am allergic to them, this is why I prefer raw natural characters. And I tell you, saying that Yulia is cynically "selling a character" is pure rude and ill-intended. And not to me as I don't care, but to the child who has nothing to do with this "selling or buying". It's your ill-intended mind that is creating those inflammatory remarks.

Manitou

Medalist
There really is no "correct" answer about whether Yulia is a powerful, genuine performer or if she's just a cruddy robotic actor. She connects to some people; she doesn't to others. I can only hope that she genuinely touched the judges and that's why they're giving her monster scores.

I personally find it strange that everyone's talking about Schindler's List, when her short program actually touched me more. Yes, it "sells" her childlike vulnerability. And I bought whatever she was selling. Poor me. :biggrin:

This one hundred times...

shine

Record Breaker
Not sure if serious or sarcastic. :popcorn: If it's the former, lmao.
It has to be.

And to those who say she doesn't act. Oh please. There's so much acting in her Schindler's List with all those dramatic faces and pauses. In fact, that's one thing that turns me off that program in addition to the fact that it so monotonous and frantic.

I really can't wait for Radionova, Proklova, Sotskova and Sakhanovic all turn seniors. To me, they are all better skaters than Julia with better skating skills and much better and more genuine musicality. People compare her to a young Sasha Cohen, whom I used to criticize for being all show and no emotions. But honestly Julia made me realize just how harsh I had been with Cohen. At least Sasha listened to the music and moved with style. Julia? Not so much.

izradria

Rinkside
You know what? It's a prediction thread, and I don't predict anything because every time I do that I screw my fave.
So we can only insult each other over a skater's artistry, or lack thereof, and we will go nowhere because everybody has own ideas what is "shmartistic" or "robotic" and what is not. I only humbly hope she will be good enough the next season, and the seasons after that, to win all possible golds, because her talent deserves it.

And I can't tolerate fake divas, I am allergic to them, this is why I prefer raw natural characters. And I tell you, saying that Yulia is cynically "selling a character" is pure rude and ill-intended. And not to me as I don't care, but to the child who has nothing to do with this "selling or buying". It's your ill-intended mind that is creating those inflammatory remarks.
You say that the Julia criticisms are "rude and ill-intended," but a couple posts back (and the one quoted above) you literally called Carolina's Ave Maria full of annoying and cringe-worthy expressions, Yuna an attention-seeking diva, and every other skater, apart from the all-natural-all-genuine Julia, unrealistic and fake. I mean...still not sure if serious or seriously sarcastic.

Manitou

Medalist
It has to be.

And to those who say she doesn't act. Oh please. There's so much acting in her Schindler's List with all those dramatic faces and pauses. In fact, that's one thing that turns me off that program in addition to the fact that she never changes the way she moves no matter what the music is doing. It's all so monotonous and frantic.

Taking the constructive path from the mutual insults I have to say that at the end of the season all programs appear to be old and tired. ALL OF THEM. What was inspiring, pure and beautiful at the beginning of the season, when performed one hundred times over many months they become worn out, blank and meaningless. How many times can you keep reheating old lunch? No matter how good it was when it was fresh.
And again: it applies to ALL performances. ALL.

flutzy13

On the Ice
I'm not sure Polinas PCS belongs on par with Julia but I think the differences between them on GOE on the jumps is ridiculous. And spins as well but to a lesser degree. Polina is very very good technically and I didn't think the judges went as crazy for her elements which were often just as good as the top names. That said I do think Julia's PCS meteoric rise this season was ridiculous though I do like her very much.

I do not see any big difference however between her and Gracie with regards to choreo, interpretation and performance/execution. I expect her PCS will bump up similarly next year and really she's already much more lyrical and musical than Gracie.

shine

Record Breaker
I know figure skating is subjective, but I will never be able to understand how anyone can call Kostner's Ave Maria from Worlds fake or annoying. Especially when they are praising Lipnitskaya's Schinder's List to high heavens.
Sorry, Yulia may be young but she is super shrewd. She knows what sells, and what sells "Schindler" are the fake facial expressions at the beginning and end of the program. That she can slide so easily into and out of them reveals how fake those expressions really are. If you watch her face as she actually skates the program, you see a skater who is ticking off boxes, not a performer who is into the music and spirit of the piece. She relies on those 'takes' at beginning and end for her 'interpretation'. And BTW, she uses those exact same gimmicks for her SP.
That is why I'm not buying what she is selling. To my eyes, she is legitimately talented as a skater, but performance-wise she is robotic, and does not rate the ridiculously high PCS scores she gets.
Oh my. I can't believe I actually agree with everything chuckm said here. What's the world coming to?
I'm not sure Polinas PCS belongs on par with Julia but I think the differences between them on GOE on the jumps is ridiculous. And spins as well but to a lesser degree. Polina is very very good technically and I didn't think the judges went as crazy for her elements which were often just as good as the top names. That said I do think Julia's PCS meteoric rise this season was ridiculous though I do like her very much.
Julia currently may have the elements (except for jumps) over Polina, but she has nothing on Polina when it comes to actual skating skills. Julia may appear "neater" to the viewer, but that's partly because Polina is looking all gangly due to her long limbs and awkward teenage phase. I'm sure she'll soon grow into her body and become more refined. She already skates bigger and has way more musicality.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
EVERYBODY acts to some extent. That's part of performance. The only question is how well they do it.

I personally like programs that are "story-driven," hence why I enjoy Yulia's two programs. Some people may feel that it comes across as "fake" or whatever. Maybe they want some pure musical interpretation or whatever that even is. That's fine. I hope Yulia continues with her lovely story-driven programs and they don't feel fake to me at all. Whether the judges will reward her for them... we'll see. ;)

flutzy13

On the Ice
Julia currently may have the elements (except for jumps) over Polina, but she has nothing on Polina when it comes to actual skating skills. Julia may appear "neater" to the viewer, but that's partly because Polina is looking all gangly due to her long limbs and awkward teenage phase. I'm sure she'll soon grow into her body and become more refined. She already skates bigger and has way more musicality.

I mostly agree. I think many fans have refused to warm up to Polina or acknowledge how good she is because of a huge misconception IMO that she stole Mirai's spot. The reality is she outskated both Mirai and Ashley at Nationals and her Olympic berth was likely never in question. She's musical, consistent, has the tech goods, has great basic skating skills- probably our best prospect since Cohen was 15. She improved from Nationals to Olympics to Worlds where her FS was absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to see what she does next year and won't be surprised in the least if she makes the GPF and ends up US champion

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yulia is a one trick pony when it comes to what kind of programs she can skate too. While Polina is inexperienced she also showed in her SP she can do something fun and light but her LP is much more solemn and she pulled that off fairly well also. Now just imagine Yulia doing Poilina's Cha Cha Cha program. :eek: Exactly.

YLFan

Match Penalty
Yea we get it. Yulia is a robotic gumby. And Sotnikova has all the grace of a neanderthal. :)

Just my opinion but Yulia has a really high xfactor. Anything she does will stand out.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
EVERYBODY acts to some extent. That's part of performance. The only question is how well they do it.

I personally like programs that are "story-driven"

I agree. I think audiences like programs like that, and judges too. One of the most famous examples is 'Love Story'. The word story is even in the title! Having a narrative, with characters and interaction between the people can be an excellent vehicle for a skating team, and Sale & Pelletier utilized it to the utmost. It had so much impact that even after winning the World Title in 2001 with 'Tristan & Isolde' (another story-driven program with characters), they went back to 'Love Story' for the 2002 Olympics. (They ended up abandoning the 'Orchid' program, which was too abstract for the audience or judges to relate to).

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Apparently there is interest in discussing Polina,Yulia, Gracie, etc.. and their artistic abilities and shortcomings and most importantly how they are scored.

Maybe the mods can move some of the coments from the prediction thread over here. Please be nice;)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

That's what Polina has over Yulia---musicality. In her FS, Polina seems to float over the ice---it's one smooth move after another, no jarring contortionist poses out of nowhere that pass for 'transitions' in Yulia's programs. Polina has studied ballet seriously since she was a small child and it's clear she loves music and feels it when she skates. Right now, she's gangly, the same way Kostner was at the same age, but time will take care of that.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Major difference between Polina and Yulia on the second mark? Polina hears and feels the music. You could put any music on behind Yulia and she would react the same way.

Predictions for next season: The more silly of the Yuliatrons try and rip Joshua Farris apart for "copying Yulia", but can only sit and watch as the rest of the world realises that this is what an actual Schindler's List looks like.

YLFan

Match Penalty
A lot of criticism for a girl that won 5 golds and 3 silvers last season.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thank you Karne for using Yuliatron. It's much better than being called a bot. I understand Yulia isn't everyone's cup of yea but she's not as bad as some try to make her out to be.

You're welcome. Please note that I did differentiate between different types of Yuliatron. :) I'm fully armed and ready to shut down any fool who is going to accuse Josh of being a copycat. :)

Also, knife boots. Makes me laugh, every time. :laugh: