Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Artistry and Scoring Amongst the Youngsters

Custom Title
    Yulia is a one trick pony when it comes to what kind of programs she can skate too. While Polina is inexperienced she also showed in her SP she can do something fun and light but her LP is much more solemn and she pulled that off fairly well also. Now just imagine Yulia doing Poilina's Cha Cha Cha program. Exactly.

Banned
    Yea we get it. Yulia is a robotic gumby. And Sotnikova has all the grace of a neanderthal.

Just my opinion but Yulia has a really high xfactor. Anything she does will stand out.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    EVERYBODY acts to some extent. That's part of performance. The only question is how well they do it.

I personally like programs that are "story-driven"
    I agree. I think audiences like programs like that, and judges too. One of the most famous examples is 'Love Story'. The word story is even in the title! Having a narrative, with characters and interaction between the people can be an excellent vehicle for a skating team, and Sale & Pelletier utilized it to the utmost. It had so much impact that even after winning the World Title in 2001 with 'Tristan & Isolde' (another story-driven program with characters), they went back to 'Love Story' for the 2002 Olympics. (They ended up abandoning the 'Orchid' program, which was too abstract for the audience or judges to relate to).

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar

Artistry and Scoring Amongst the Youngsters

Apparently there is interest in discussing Polina,Yulia, Gracie, etc.. and their artistic abilities and shortcomings and most importantly how they are scored.

Maybe the mods can move some of the coments from the prediction thread over here. Please be nice

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Julia currently may have the elements (except for jumps) over Polina, but she has nothing on Polina when it comes to actual skating skills. Julia may appear "neater" to the viewer, but that's partly because Polina is looking all gangly due to her long limbs and awkward teenage phase. I'm sure she'll soon grow into her body and become more refined. She already skates bigger and has way more musicality.
    That's what Polina has over Yulia---musicality. In her FS, Polina seems to float over the ice---it's one smooth move after another, no jarring contortionist poses out of nowhere that pass for 'transitions' in Yulia's programs. Polina has studied ballet seriously since she was a small child and it's clear she loves music and feels it when she skates. Right now, she's gangly, the same way Kostner was at the same age, but time will take care of that.

Custom Title
    Major difference between Polina and Yulia on the second mark? Polina hears and feels the music. You could put any music on behind Yulia and she would react the same way.

Predictions for next season: The more silly of the Yuliatrons try and rip Joshua Farris apart for "copying Yulia", but can only sit and watch as the rest of the world realises that this is what an actual Schindler's List looks like.

Banned
    A lot of criticism for a girl that won 5 golds and 3 silvers last season.

Tripping on the Podium
    I didn't realize this was a Yulia vs Polina thread ... Bye.

I created a thread so this one can go back to the actual topic. http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...the-Youngsters
    This is a much better place to insult each other and some of our greatest up and coming talents. Have fun.

Thank you Karne for using Yuliatron. It's much better than being called a bot. I understand Yulia isn't everyone's cup of tea but she's not as bad as some try to make her out to be.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Thank you Karne for using Yuliatron. It's much better than being called a bot. I understand Yulia isn't everyone's cup of yea but she's not as bad as some try to make her out to be.
    You're welcome. Please note that I did differentiate between different types of Yuliatron. I'm fully armed and ready to shut down any fool who is going to accuse Josh of being a copycat.

Also, knife boots. Makes me laugh, every time.

I don't have beef with any skaters honestly and Josh does Schindlers amazingly also

Custom Title
    I don't have beef with any skaters honestly and Josh does Schindlers just fine.
    Wasn't talking about you, of course But I am quite sure that they are out there.

Of course, I believe that Josh's Schindler's is better than "fine" but on that, I fear, we shall never agree.

^^fixed

Hey..mods. Can you move the last couple pages of the "predictions thread"over here? Sorry to be a pain but its become quite sidetracked

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Hey..mods. Can you move the last couple pages of the "predictions thread"over here? Sorry to be a pain but its become quite sidetracked
    I feel bad b/c some of the Polina/Yulia thing seemed to start after a post that I thought was a pretty neutral statement re: a possible rivalry between them. Then I agreed w/ someone re: Polina's artistry and politely disagreed re: Yulia's and suddenly we were off to the races. Sorry!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast