Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 219 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

won0066

On the Ice
I read somewhere that all Olympians were given Samsung phones at the Olympics...good advertising for Samsung!!

makaihime

Final Flight
He's allowed but he didn't want to ask his parents for one because he didn't want to further burden them with the finances. The laptop he needed for his school work and such. And we all know his obsession with music/headphones hence the iPod. Of course this was a few years ago and his financial situation has now changed drastically :)

winterbell

Rinkside
He's allowed but he didn't want to ask his parents for one because he didn't want to further burden them with the finances. The laptop he needed for his school work and such. And we all know his obsession with music/headphones hence the iPod. Of course this was a few years ago and his financial situation has now changed drastically :)

Oh, so there was financial consideration for not owning a phone. Good boy!

The reason I heard was that he (and his mom) wanted himself to get focused, and not waste his time on those (SNS and msgs I guess). But an iPod Touch is basically the same thing without phone call function, and we know that he uses LINE, and he also reads other people 's blog (he said he read Sashida's blog). But more or less, "I don't have a phone" might have been a good excuse to save him a lot of trouble.

SuzyQ

Medalist
Besides, the senior men's field in Japan is so deep - which is the main problem for Keiji, who is too old for juniors this season and must move to seniors. However, he doesn't even have much of a chance of getting on the podium at Japanese Nationals. His 3a is there, he attempts a quad but it's very inconsistent (has he ever landed it in competition?). Podium at Japanese Nats will most likely always be Yuzuru, Tatsuki, Takahiko/Takahito, meaning Worlds spots will be pretty much decided. Maybe Keiji would be able to go to 4CC, but he'd be overshadowed by the higher ranking Japanese skaters (you are so right about his underconfidence affecting his jumps/overall skating. have you read the interview he's done with Ryuju? but I guess I'd feel the same way when this kid that's younger than me is already Olympic champion...) Yuzuru's main Japanese competition will be Tatsuki. Yuzuru was always an anomaly anyways.

He landed quad at JGP 2013 Czech. This is only one success in the competition as far as I know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8nTTAJlYp0

I think he needs to improve his spins as well. I know we are so demanding as we have got used to Yuzuru's exquisite spins ;)

I like his program "Untouchable".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdo2nsQcKTI

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Thank you ^^
I agree with winterbell, a good boy indeed.
I also only remembered something about him not being allowed to have a phone because it would be a distraction and too much of a temptation to get into the social media stuff... but with him having all those other things, that explanation really stopped making sense at some point. But come to think of it... maybe that's the best reason why. He seems to be really into all those technical devices. Better not give him one more to play with and take up his time :biggrin:

BusyMom

Medalist
Better not give him one more to play with and take up his time :biggrin:

He is a very sensible young man. No worry there. One of the elder Japanese skater at our rink went back to Japan for World2014, and he came back very impressed with Yuzuru. He thinks that Yuzuru is exceptional polite and is very considerated toward elder fans.

skatefan22

Medalist
What does her name mean?

Well, I don't know much Japanese. But I found her name written in Kanji is just beautiful.

Edit:
The 2nd character 綾 means silk, while the 1st one 沙 means sand. People use 紗 more often, which also means silk. But as in the document, her sister'name is 沙 instead of 紗. Perhaps they mean the same in Japanese? Let's wait for our Japanese friends' opinion on this. :biggrin:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
He is a very sensible young man. No worry there. One of the elder Japanese skater at our rink went back to Japan for World2014, and he came back very impressed with Yuzuru. He thinks that Yuzuru is exceptional polite and is very considerated toward elder fans.

Thanks for sharing. :) That kind of personal testimonial warms this fan auntie's heart.

Just saw this competition result of Yuzu's sister in 2005. I am amazed by how beautiful his sister's name is!!!
http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/8523666egw1egigtf4akwj20t22ugngq.jpg

The first two tables show the result of Saya (Yuzu's sister). The 3rd and 4th tables are the result of 末永巧 (don't know his English name), who is the guy that protected Yuzu during the earthquake. The last table shows result of Yuzu.

Thanks for the link. :) Re the guy that protected Yuzuru during the earthquake, can you please give us the details?

I have always been curious about Saya. After all, it was because of the desire to follow his elder sister that Yuzuru took up figure skating. Is it true that when their parents were feeling the financial burden of supporting the competitive skating of the two children, it was Saya who chose to give up her dream so that Yuzuru can in turn pursue his? In any case, she is indisputably part of a strong support system for Yuzuru as I don't think Yuzuru's mother would have felt comfortable leaving Sendai to take care of Yuzuru in Toronto without knowing that Saya would be the one in turn to take care of the father. By all accounts, they appear to be a close-knit family.

Klarnet

On the Ice
Just saw this competition result of Yuzu's sister in 2005. I am amazed by how beautiful his sister's name is!!!
http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/8523666egw1egigtf4akwj20t22ugngq.jpg

The first two tables show the result of Saya (Yuzu's sister). The 3rd and 4th tables are the result of 末永巧 (don't know his English name), who is the guy that protected Yuzu during the earthquake. The last table shows result of Yuzu.

His name is Suenaga Takumi, Yuzu wrote about him in Aoi Honoo, he was with him when the earthquake started http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00008227.htm

skatefan22

Medalist
Re the guy that protected Yuzuru during the earthquake, can you please give us the details?

I remember Yuzu writes in his bibliography that when the earthquake happened, he first hide himself in a small space at the rink together with another fellow skater named 巧. That skater hugged him and covered him while Yuzu was crying out something like ''I am so scared! It is horrible!!'' in his arms. According to the competition result table, that skater is from the same high school as Yuzu at Sendai (so he must also trains at the same rink since there is one rink there) and happens to have the same name as 巧. So I think it is the same person.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I remember Yuzu writes in his bibliography that when the earthquake happened, he first hide himself in a small space at the rink together with another fellow skater named 巧. That skater hugged him and covered him while Yuzu was crying out something like ''I am so scared! It is horrible!!'' in his arms. According to the competition result table, that skater is from the same high school as Yuzu at Sendai (so he must also trains at the same rink since there is one rink there) and happens to have the same name as 巧. So I think it is the same person.

Thank you skatefan22 for that information! I also come from a country within the Ring of Fire so I know how terrifying an earthquake can be. Yuzuru was fortunate to have someone like Takumi Suenaga to comfort him. He's now part of Yuzuru lore.

mikaboo

Medalist
Well, I don't know much Japanese. But as a Chinese, I found her name written in Kanji is just beautiful.

Edit:
The 2nd character 綾 means silk, while the 1st one 沙 means sand. People use 紗 more often, which also means silk. But as in the document, her sister'name is 沙 instead of 紗. Perhaps they mean the same in Japanese? Let's wait for our Japanese friends' opinion on this. :biggrin:

I'm Japanese, but I didn't really study kanji in depth so correct me if I'm wrong!
沙 does seem to mean sand although we usually use this kanji (砂) to describe sand. 綾 means "design", "art" or "beautiful" according to wikipedia.
For silk, we usually use this kanji (絹).
You can look up the meaning of kanji yourselves using this also.
http://www.romajidesu.com/dictionary/meaning-of-沙.html
http://www.romajidesu.com/dictionary/meaning-of-綾.html
For the meaning of Saya's name, you'd have to ask her parents. :)

SuzyQ

Medalist
Well, I don't know much Japanese. But as a Chinese, I found her name written in Kanji is just beautiful.

Edit:

It is very interesting. I didn't know the original meaning of 沙 is sand, and 紗 and 綾 is silk.

沙 and 紗 are both used for the pronunciation/sound for "sa" in names, maybe because the character itself is beautiful, not so many Japanese know the exact difference in the meaning of both :biggrin:

沙良, 沙羅, or 紗良, 紗羅 (Sara)

沙織, 紗織 (Saori)

沙耶, 沙弥, or 紗耶, 紗弥 (Saya)

There are countless combinations :laugh:

I think the image of 綾 is more like twill (綾織り ayaori) than silk in Japan.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/綾織り

Actually, 綾 (aya) is a very popular Kanji character for names, even by itself.

平野綾 (HIRANO Aya) - Voice actress
寺川綾 (TERAKAWA Aya) - Swimmer
石川綾子 (ISHIKAWA Ayako) - Violinist

Yuzuru's sister's name 沙綾 is pronounced as "Saya", but it can also be pronounced as "Sa-aya", or "Sa'aya". When I first saw her name in Kanji, I thought it was Sa-aya.

Anyway, their parents chose very beautiful names, not so common, but still orthodox, for their children. I think they have good taste with sophistication.

skatefan22

Medalist
Thank you, mikaboo and SuzyQ! It is very interesting to see the same character means different in different languages. :biggrin: Still, beautiful name by simply looking at it!