Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 146

Thread: Skaters who revolutionized/made an impact in Figure Skating

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3,935
    Everyone mentioned so far has made an impact, as have others not yet mentioned. But I tend to think the bar is higher for "revolutionized."

    Maybe we should divide the discussion by who revolutionized technical content (and what kinds), who revolutionized artistry/presentation standards, who introduced new, lasting strategies for how to strategize winning programs, etc.

    I think it's too soon to say that anyone still competing in 2014 has had a lasting impact -- we don't know how long their influence will be felt.

  2. #17
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    124
    I don't think you need to be a major champion to make an impact. Surely Lucinda Ruh made an impact with her spins, more than many winners. Also some Rahkamo&Kokko routines were considered revolutionary in their theatricality.

  3. #18
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    stop pushing skaters who not deserve to be in the list
    In No way does Chan an innovator, maybe an innovator in the number of falls
    Surely the point of this type of thread is for everyone to have a say about who they think deserves to be on the list, not for one poster to be able to give the yea or nay?

    What about the guy who innovated the Lutz (Alois Lutz, I have just read)? Has he been mentioned?

  4. #19
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,334
    I agree with most of the choices in the opening post, with a few additions/comments:

    - Michelle Kwan: If Plush was the face of 6.0 for men (though Plush also had success under COP), then Michelle was the face of 6.0 for women. Not only was she responsible for ushering in the 7-triple long program, she also contributed to the idea of a good "overall effect," the whole being the greater than the sum of the parts (which is important under 6.0, imo, since you're giving one holistic mark rather than breaking the program down as in COP).

    - G&G for pairs: They make difficult skates look flowing and effortless. They're the face of one type of pair skating, at least.

    - Torvill & Dean need to be mentioned. At the very least, they made everyone strive for that perfect 6.0.

    - I would say Virtue/Moir are more important for the sport than Davis/White, though that could be my personal bias, as well as the "firsts" achieved by Virtue/Moir (first North American team to win OGM, youngest team to win OGM).

    - I think we should leave Hanyu off the list until his career progresses further. It's much too soon to call. There's an argument to be made for Chan, though again, I think we should let his "legacy" sit and stew for a while before declaring him one of the innovators.

    - I'm on the fence about Alexei Yagudin. His Olympic skates will go down as one of the best pair of Olympic-winning skates ever, but I'm not sure if he "revolutionized" figure skating. He simply went out there with beautifully programs and skated them well. And that's perfectly fine, of course. Still, he is important as one-half of the rivalry that pushed the sport to new heights in a small amount of time, even if Plushenko was the one who initiated most of the technical pushes.

    - This may be neither here or there, but I think Plushenko's longevity, successful comeback(s), and determination to remain in the sport are as significant as his 6.0 success. If we look at almost all the Olympic winners before him, they either retired quickly (Kulik, Yagudin), or continued/came back but were not very successful (Urmanov, Petrenko, Boitano). Of course, some of it has to do with situation (back in the day, pro careers were a bigger thing than they are now, Yagudin's hip, ect. ect.). And time will tell if Plushenko's comebacks will inspire other people to stay in sport. But I think it is something worth mentioning/considering.

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5,298
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    stop pushing skaters who not deserve to be in the list
    In No way does Chan an innovator, maybe an innovator in the number of falls
    You mean like you pushing Hanyu when he has had one good season and other skaters like Chan and Buttle were maximizing the system long before Hanyu? You dare talk about falls when every one of Hanyu's major wins this season had a fall? When his OGM performance had 2 falls - the worst ever by an OGM?

    Chan is an innovator. He actually incorporates every turn into his program and his skating skills are second to none.

    You on the other hand are a hater. You incorporate every spiteful comment into your posts and your bashing skills and anti-Canadian sentiments are second to none.

  6. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,378
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    You mean like you pushing Hanyu when he has had one good season and other skaters like Chan and Buttle were maximizing the system long before Hanyu? You dare talk about falls when every one of Hanyu's major wins this season had a fall? When his OGM performance had 2 falls - the worst ever by an OGM?

    Chan is an innovator. He actually incorporates every turn into his program and his skating skills are second to none.

    You on the other hand are a hater. You incorporate every spiteful comment into your posts and your bashing skills and anti-Canadian sentiments are second to none.
    Yuzuru Hanyu did maximize points at the same time pushing higher technical elements
    Chan has never done both, skating skills is an innovation ? then lets include Michelle Kwan on the list, lol

    this has nothing to do with being anti Canadian
    also Elvis Stojko is a Canadian and he pushed what we have quads now today, what did Chan do ?
    Chan is only known for his scandalous wins and he couldn't even win the Olympics if it was handed up to him as the last one skating

  7. #22
    Medalist
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    91
    I think you've mentioned all skaters who deserves to be named, so I don't want to write them again but there's one name I have to repeat:
    Evgeni Plushenko-I still don't like him so much as a person but as a skater he is legendary. He had great technique for the times when he was the biggest champion, he had(and still has)his own skating style. Also is something as an icon for figure skating. People who don't like or don't watch figure skating often know him.

  8. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,378
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie-Anna View Post
    I think you've mentioned all skaters who deserves to be named, so I don't want to write them again but there's one name I have to repeat:
    Evgeni Plushenko-I still don't like him so much as a person but as a skater he is legendary. He had great technique for the times when he was the biggest champion, he had(and still has)his own skating style. Also is something as an icon for figure skating. People who don't like or don't watch figure skating often know him.
    agreed, a skater who transcends outside FS is surely a legend

  9. #24
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5,298
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Yuzuru Hanyu did maximize points at the same time pushing higher technical elements
    Chan has never done both, skating skills is an innovation ? then lets include Michelle Kwan on the list, lol

    this has nothing to do with being anti Canadian
    also Elvis Stojko is a Canadian and he pushed what we have quads now today, what did Chan do ?
    Chan is only known for his scandalous wins and he couldn't even win the Olympics if it was handed up to him as the last one skating
    Chan was the first skater to get 100+ TES points in a FS. He did 2 quads, was one of the first to do the half loop 3S sequence. And of course transitions between/leading into elements more than the other guys to increase the GOE/difficulty. How is that not maximizing points? He forced guys to go for quads instead of 3F-3T and 3Z-3T like the years prior to him gaining prominence, just so the other guys would have a fighting chance. Chan became know for exceedingly ambitious choreography. He was able to make mistakes since he maximized every aspect of CoP - and widely known as one of the first skater to really squeeze every point out of a program.

    And total bs that it has nothing to so with you being admittedly anti-Canadian, so don't even try to claim anything else. You spew crap about Chan, Osmond, and D/R like nobody's business.

    And I would include Michelle Kwan on the list. Like, duh.

  10. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,378
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Chan was the first skater to get 100+ TES points in a FS. He did 2 quads, was one of the first to do the half loop 3S sequence. And of course transitions leading into elements more than the other guys to increase the GOE/difficulty. How is that not maximizing points? He forced guys to go for quads instead of 3F-3T and 3Z-3T like the years prior to him gaining prominence, just so the other guys would have a fighting chance. He was able to make mistakes evaluate he maximized every aspect of CoP - and widely known as one of the first skater to really squeeze every point out of a program.

    And total bs that it has nothing to so with you being admittedly anti-Canadian, so don't even try to claim anything else. You spew crap about Chan, Osmind, and D/R like nobody's business.
    , Chan is and will not be an innovator,
    Hanyu is young yet his records are already on his way

    Rochette and Stojko were nice and great skaters
    why do we even bring up Osmond or D/R in this thread

  11. #26
    P/B Appreciation Squad fleeting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    516
    Pechalat/Bourzat will have an influence down the road to someone with quirky personalities like theirs. Even though they were consistently underscored (especially over this quad which will also be remembered down the road) they showed that you can skate to something besides warhorses and dress in interesting costumes and still do very, very well.

  12. #27
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    39
    Torvill and Dean revolutionised ice dancing. Instead of giving explanation I'm posting a link to an old thread where Icenut84 explains so well what T&D brought to ice dancing.

    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...p?4287-T-amp-d

  13. #28
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,334
    Quads came back in favour after Lysacek's quadless win in Vancouver. It didn't have anything to do with Chan. In fact, wasn't Chan one of the "anti-quad squad" before the rule change?

    Two quads under COP, while impressive, wasn't done first by Chan. Joubert did three back in 2006.

    Chan is known for his excellent skating skills and complex transitions, so I'll give him that. Unfortunately, he is also known for winning despite splatting. Of course, we can consider all of these "innovations," regardless of whether I--or any one else--like the "splatting" part or not. I simply think we should let some time pass, get some distance, see where the sport goes, before declaring Chan an "innovator."

    Also, while Chan is super COP-friendly due to COP's love for skating skills and forgiveness of falls, his jump layout is actually not the strongest. Someone like Hanyu who has super strong triple axels will be able to take far more advantage of the 10% bonus than Chan.

  14. #29
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    28
    Toller Cranston , Denise Biellman , Janet Lyn , Torvill and Dean , Tai and Randy !!K

  15. #30
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,479
    Deleted

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •