Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 146

Thread: Skaters who revolutionized/made an impact in Figure Skating

  1. #91
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    21
    [QUOTE=sky_fly20;917496]but no innovations there[/QUOTE

    you started this thread with "Skaters who revolutionized/made an impact in Figure Skating"
    so Katia didn't innovate the sport, but she had an impact on this sport.

  2. #92
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    She actually had a career with Stars on Ice from 1996-2000 and placed as high as 2nd at the World Pro Championships. She wasn't at an elite level but she made more money and did more shows than most singles skaters could dream of. She also got a pretty reliable 3S and 3T if I recall. More importantly she didn't let her husband's tragedy overcome her and continued to share more lovely skating as a singles skater. And to me, that is successful.
    She also introduce the Lutz with she never perfomed during her entire career with Sergei. And the edge on the Lutz shows her incredible skating skills, it's very deep.

  3. #93
    Say no to horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    6,186
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    the new ones:
    I have hopes for 3 skaters who will be the ones to watch out for next quad:

    Yuzuru Hanyu - maximing CoP and pushing technical innovation for FS

    Gracie Gold - could push figure skating back as mainstream for US Sports, she has the appeal, beauty and looks that transcends to Hollywood is looking for
    she just needs more results to back it up

    Julia Lipnitskaya - could be inventing new spin positions in the future
    I agree with you about the 1st and the last. Hanyu and Yulia have the potential to push the boundaries with their jumps and spins. But the middle... I mean, it's true that all three of them are easy to the eyes but Gracie only, other than her looks, seems to be in short compare to Hanyu's jumps and Yulia's spins.
    We will have to wait and see, then.

  4. #94
    Yuzulia & Ruslena Team Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    4,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    I agree with you about the 1st and the last. Hanyu and Yulia have the potential to push the boundaries with their jumps and spins. But the middle... I mean, it's true that all three of them are easy to the eyes but Gracie only, other than her looks, seems to be in short compare to jumps and spins.
    We will have to wait and see, then.
    Gracie is Skyfly's love. She will be in any of her list, no matter what.

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,378
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    I agree with you about the 1st and the last. Hanyu and Yulia have the potential to push the boundaries with their jumps and spins. But the middle... I mean, it's true that all three of them are easy to the eyes but Gracie only, other than her looks, seems to be in short compare to jumps and spins.
    We will have to wait and see, then.
    no skater has transcended into big Hollywood stardom since Sonja Henie,
    Gracie has unique opportunity to put FS map back in the US map at the same time becoming a hollywood name for herself
    she already has the looks Hollywood is looking, blonde, classic hollywood beauty, so we'll see how it goes for her future

    definitely Gracie is up there with Yuzuru and Julia
    who have the potential to make an impact in the sport this quad
    her possible/potential 2016 Worlds win in Boston could boost figure skating popularity back in the US

  6. #96
    Say no to horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    6,186
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    no skater has transcended into big Hollywood stardom since Sonja Henie,
    Gracie has unique opportunity to put FS map back in the US map at the same time becoming a hollywood name for herself
    she already has the looks Hollywood is looking, blonde, classic hollywood beauty, so we'll see how it goes for her future

    definitely Gracie is up there with Yuzuru and Julia
    who have the potential to make an impact in the sport this quad
    okay... I would rather watch a skating movie staring Hanyu and Yulia in which they only jump and spin than a movie in which Gracie cosplaying Elsa from Frozen.

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,378
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    okay... I would rather watch a skating movie staring Hanyu and Yulia in which they only jump and spin than a movie in which Gracie cosplaying Elsa from Frozen.
    Im saying Gracie being American has the unique opportunity to transcend from figure skater to also a Hollywood Actress, that itself will be making an impact this quad
    it will be difficult for Julia and Yuzu to transcend because of langauage barriers and they are not us citizens, US media is still the biggest influence in the World

  8. #98
    Say no to horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    6,186
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Im saying Gracie being American has the unique opportunity to transcend from figure skater to also a Hollywood Actress, that itself will be making an impact this quad
    it will be difficult for Julia and Yuzu to transcend because of langauage barriers and they are not us citizens, US media is still the biggest influence in the World
    Okay, I got your fantasy. Steven Spielberg better gets his eyes on Gracie, rather than Yulia, then. Or Tailor Swift should ask Gracie to star a role in her next MV.

  9. #99
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble77 View Post
    I would say Ekaterina Gordeeva has had an impact on this sport, after all she is the only skater (worth mentioning) who after having a sucessful career in pairs, went to have another sucessful career in singles.
    I woudn't call that a sucessful career in singles either. While she is very lovely in her skating qualities, she did nothing extraordinary as a single skater.

  10. #100
    Custard Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Franklin99 View Post
    And yet mao's beautiful 3axel is overly scrutinized. And Harding had one of the most ugliest and choppiest 3axel ever. Her jumps were never on an axel, but straight up and down while she's up in the air. Case in point: http://youtu.be/29SMYaEwGyM
    Well it's scrutinized because she's the only one who's done so many under CoP. You'll notice that Meissner and Nakano's were pretty much never ratified so they have it up entirely. Can't exactly scrutinize the nonexistent. Mao on the other hand was good enough to do respectable ones consistently.

  11. #101
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5,489
    [QUOTE=trouble77;917503]
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    but no innovations there[/QUOTE

    you started this thread with "Skaters who revolutionized/made an impact in Figure Skating"
    so Katia didn't innovate the sport, but she had an impact on this sport.
    Agreed. This is about impact on the sport and Gordeeva was one of the greats. She was hugely popular in the US, including a Sports illustrated cover, Oprah show, her best seller book, and a ton of endorsements. More than celebrity status, she inspired a lot of people with her story, her ability to market herself to American audiences, and with her beautiful skates afterwards.

    Exactly what is so "innovative" about Gold? Her jumps are usually strong and her spins are solid but she doesn't have anything yet that makes her special... unless you count her blonde dye job, which some folks seem to be enamoured with.

    Although it's laughable and unfair to compare Gordeeva to Gold.

  12. #102
    Custom Title hurrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,148
    This fan animation says it all:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq4fz...ature=youtu.be

    Can't wait for Part 2!

  13. #103
    The Comeback Kid Minze2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    866
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    This fan animation says it all:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq4fz...ature=youtu.be

    Can't wait for Part 2!
    Thank You for sharing. Loved it

  14. #104
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,028
    wow! great!

  15. #105
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,225
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble77 View Post

    Agreed. This is about impact on the sport and Gordeeva was one of the greats. She was hugely popular in the US, including a Sports illustrated cover, Oprah show, her best seller book, and a ton of endorsements. More than celebrity status, she inspired a lot of people with her story, her ability to market herself to American audiences, and with her beautiful skates afterwards.
    It's true, over here Katia in the 90s was a MAJOR sporting star. Even amongst casual skating viewers, just by doing a rough poll, people here in US / Canada still remember them today. Her Oprah appearance gave her additional exposure, she loved having skaters on her show. When Sergey shockingly died young it was on the news as well - not at the end of the hour, but up-front as a top story at the time. I was surprised to hear it on the radio in the car getting out of school and I remember the next day in a suburban American high school even teenagers were talking about it. And IIRC she had a second book as well. So she definitely had impact, at least over here in the Americas.

    I understand she's happy raising her kids with Ilia Kulik in Orange County. Good for Katia!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •