Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Alena Leonova Leaves Morozov To Join Rukavitsin

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Hey, I would do it myself, except I've already offered myself up to another... (See this post)
    omg!!!

Custom Title
    The problem with Leonova changing country is that the Federation probably won't release her. Why should they release past world silver medalist? Would USA release her? (Probably, after letting her wait for 4 seasons!)

ETA: she is also already 23 years old. If she had to sit out two seasons, that would make her 25 years old and that's nearing to her retirement. Saying that, she is quite small, maybe she could switch to pairs. She can't be possibly worse than Gerboldt.

P/B Appreciation Squad fleeting's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    The problem with Leonova changing country is that the Federation probably won't release her. Why should they release past world silver medalist? Would USA release her? (Probably, after letting her wait for 4 seasons!)
    I'm getting Morgan Matthews flashbacks at that. I still feel terrible for her about the crap the USFSA put her through that basically pushed her to retirement because she was out of options.

And who knows? With Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya, Pogo, and Radionova, they have three top finishers and the backup. Unless one of them has a worse than Wagner at US Nationals blowup, she's firmly fifth in the senior Russian circuit and that's still excluding Proklova who also beat her at Russian Nationals.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    I think it's great she finally left him but I agree...it should have happened sooner.

The field has likely passed her by at this point. If she improves she has a chance to do decently on the GP and maybe get a few more medals there, but I don't think she'd make it out of Russian nationals which means no more trips to worlds and probably none for Euros either. Russia's field is mind-bogglingly deep and has been for the past several years.

Alena's time was after that silver medal at worlds in 2012 but she completely fell off the past two seasons. She showed some signs of life at nationals and Euros this year but I feel like she's missed her opportunity. Age was the one advantage Alena had over Adelina/Liza/Julia, etc. but now that's gone. All of them plus Elena, Anna and about three or four other junior newbies are eligible now which means, 9 times out of 10, Alena will be passed over for a spot to one of the bigger events.

I wish her all the best but I don't think she should get her hopes up too much.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fleeting View Post
    I'm getting Morgan Matthews flashbacks at that. I still feel terrible for her about the crap the USFSA put her through that basically pushed her to retirement because she was out of options.

And who knows? With Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya, Pogo, and Radionova, they have three top finishers and the backup. Unless one of them has a worse than Wagner at US Nationals blowup, she's firmly fifth in the senior Russian circuit and that's still excluding Proklova who also beat her at Russian Nationals.
    Proklova is not age eligible yet for this coming season (2014-15), but to be honest, Leonova should have been beaten not only by Proklova but also by Sakhanovich and Medvedeva. They both skated much better than Leonova too. I felt that Leonova was a bit held up, probably because they needed third eligible lady for Europeans and Tuktamysheva and Pogorilaya messed up.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post

I wish her all the best but I don't think she should get her hopes up too much.
    There is always pairs discipline. Leonova is only 1.59 m (5 ft 2 1⁄2 in) and 23 years old, whereas Gerboldt is 1.63 m (5 ft 4 in) and 25 years old (and has been injured for 2 seasons). So on paper Leonova could make it work in pairs. Enbert is 25 years old, 1.89 m (6 ft 2 in) - good match! And they could do 3T-3T as side by side jumps, and 3F as their solo jump (Leonova likes toe jumps) - that could work. The only problem is that Russia now will have a lot of pairs. The juniors have to move to seniors.

ETA: she is also already 23 years old. If she had to sit out two seasons, that would make her 25 years old and that's nearing to her retirement. Saying that, she is quite small, maybe she could switch to pairs. She can't be possibly worse than Gerboldt.
    Leonova is fully 1.65 meters tall (5' 5"). She cannot switch to pairs, even if that were easy to do. Further, Russia's pairs are nearly as deep as their ladies.

ETA: Her ISU bio is saying she is shorter than Wikipedia says she is... maybe I am wrong. Regardless, i don't think this is actually a viable option for her at the age of 23.

P/B Appreciation Squad fleeting's Avatar
    Proklova is not age eligible yet for this coming season (2014-15), but to be honest, Leonova should have been beaten not only by Proklova but also by Sakhanovich and Medvedeva. They both skated much better than Leonova too. I felt that Leonova was a bit held up, probably because they needed third eligible lady for Europeans and Tuktamysheva and Pogorilaya messed up.
    Someone pointed out that Proklova was still too young last page, so that's why I left her out
    I agree with you about everyone else. Leonova was the best option to send as third after everyone else screwed up, so they kept her up too.

Custom Title
    Total mixed feelings! She reached her career apex with him! Then she reached her career nadir. But she was amazing and at her best when he was her coach.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Leonova is fully 1.65 meters tall (5' 5"). She cannot switch to pairs, even if that were easy to do. Further, Russia's pairs are nearly as deep as their ladies.

ETA: Her ISU bio is saying she is shorter than Wikipedia says she is... maybe I am wrong. Regardless, i don't think this is actually a viable option for her at the age of 23.
    Well, Gerboldt is starting nearly from zero at the age of 25. I know she in theory has now the pairs elements because she has competed with them a season or two, but then she was injured for two seasons, so my thinking was that Leonova is not that much behind Gerboldt and is 2 years younger and healthy. I am aware that Russia currently has a lot of pairs, but I disagree that the situation is as competitive as in ladies. In pairs: Some of the pairs are newly created. Rogonov- Astachova, Larionov with his new partner - in both cases the female skater is on much lower level than the male skater. Some of the pairs are moving from juniors and don't have the competitive content yet. So if you look at their pairs critically, at this particular moment only 3-4 pairs are pretty decent. The others only have potential but are not quite there yet. Whereas in ladies there is a long queue of ladies who have the full set of triple jumps, difficult 3-3 combo or sometimes even two, and more are coming every year, also with much more technical content than Leonova will ever be able to do. LAdies are much more competitive than pair, but pairs are definitely quite competitive too.

Custom Title
    I cannot see Leonova as pairs skater. She is not in the type we are getting use to see in pairs, so she would need a partner to match her personality.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aschiutza View Post
    I cannot see Leonova as pairs skater. She is not in the type we are getting use to see in pairs, so she would need a partner to match her personality.
    Vygalova's personality also stands out and she is doing pairs.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aschiutza View Post
    Can she please change her country as well? I will miss her from the international arena.
    Sure. How about releasing her to Canada?

Custom Title
    Canada would take a good woman skater. They would probably like to take a few japanese men as well

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dress View Post
    Canada would take a good woman skater. They would probably like to take a few japanese men as well
    I think so too. Don't get me wrong, I like Osmond, but she hasn't delivered the way Skate Canada has been wanting her to (and she'd like to improve I'm sure). If she doesn't improve she may fall by the wayside, leaving room for the next up-and-comer or an accomplished transplant. And if the Japanese men continue to have too much internal competition, their #5 or #6 nationally ranked skater may consider switching countries, especially while Canada waits to see if Nam Nguyen becomes the next Chan.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast