Alena Leonova Leaves Morozov To Join Rukavitsin | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Alena Leonova Leaves Morozov To Join Rukavitsin

hanca

Record Breaker
I wish her all the best but I don't think she should get her hopes up too much. :disapp:

There is always pairs discipline. Leonova is only 1.59 m (5 ft 2 1⁄2 in) and 23 years old, whereas Gerboldt is 1.63 m (5 ft 4 in) and 25 years old (and has been injured for 2 seasons). So on paper Leonova could make it work in pairs. Enbert is 25 years old, 1.89 m (6 ft 2 in) - good match! And they could do 3T-3T as side by side jumps, and 3F as their solo jump (Leonova likes toe jumps) - that could work. The only problem is that Russia now will have a lot of pairs. The juniors have to move to seniors.

tulosai

Record Breaker
The problem with Leonova changing country is that the Federation probably won't release her. Why should they release past world silver medalist? Would USA release her? (Probably, after letting her wait for 4 seasons!)

ETA: she is also already 23 years old. If she had to sit out two seasons, that would make her 25 years old and that's nearing to her retirement. Saying that, she is quite small, maybe she could switch to pairs. She can't be possibly worse than Gerboldt.

Leonova is fully 1.65 meters tall (5' 5"). She cannot switch to pairs, even if that were easy to do. Further, Russia's pairs are nearly as deep as their ladies.

ETA: Her ISU bio is saying she is shorter than Wikipedia says she is... maybe I am wrong. Regardless, i don't think this is actually a viable option for her at the age of 23.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
Proklova is not age eligible yet for this coming season (2014-15), but to be honest, Leonova should have been beaten not only by Proklova but also by Sakhanovich and Medvedeva. They both skated much better than Leonova too. I felt that Leonova was a bit held up, probably because they needed third eligible lady for Europeans and Tuktamysheva and Pogorilaya messed up.

Someone pointed out that Proklova was still too young last page, so that's why I left her out :)
I agree with you about everyone else. Leonova was the best option to send as third after everyone else screwed up, so they kept her up too.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Total mixed feelings! She reached her career apex with him! Then she reached her career nadir. But she was amazing and at her best when he was her coach.

hanca

Record Breaker
Leonova is fully 1.65 meters tall (5' 5"). She cannot switch to pairs, even if that were easy to do. Further, Russia's pairs are nearly as deep as their ladies.

ETA: Her ISU bio is saying she is shorter than Wikipedia says she is... maybe I am wrong. Regardless, i don't think this is actually a viable option for her at the age of 23.

Well, Gerboldt is starting nearly from zero at the age of 25. I know she in theory has now the pairs elements because she has competed with them a season or two, but then she was injured for two seasons, so my thinking was that Leonova is not that much behind Gerboldt and is 2 years younger and healthy. I am aware that Russia currently has a lot of pairs, but I disagree that the situation is as competitive as in ladies. In pairs: Some of the pairs are newly created. Rogonov- Astachova, Larionov with his new partner - in both cases the female skater is on much lower level than the male skater. Some of the pairs are moving from juniors and don't have the competitive content yet. So if you look at their pairs critically, at this particular moment only 3-4 pairs are pretty decent. The others only have potential but are not quite there yet. Whereas in ladies there is a long queue of ladies who have the full set of triple jumps, difficult 3-3 combo or sometimes even two, and more are coming every year, also with much more technical content than Leonova will ever be able to do. LAdies are much more competitive than pair, but pairs are definitely quite competitive too.

aschiutza

On the Ice
I cannot see Leonova as pairs skater. She is not in the type we are getting use to see in pairs, so she would need a partner to match her personality.

hanca

Record Breaker
I cannot see Leonova as pairs skater. She is not in the type we are getting use to see in pairs, so she would need a partner to match her personality.

Vygalova's personality also stands out and she is doing pairs.

dress

On the Ice
Canada would take a good woman skater. They would probably like to take a few japanese men as well

anyanka

Record Breaker
Canada would take a good woman skater. They would probably like to take a few japanese men as well

I think so too. Don't get me wrong, I like Osmond, but she hasn't delivered the way Skate Canada has been wanting her to (and she'd like to improve I'm sure). If she doesn't improve she may fall by the wayside, leaving room for the next up-and-comer or an accomplished transplant. And if the Japanese men continue to have too much internal competition, their #5 or #6 nationally ranked skater may consider switching countries, especially while Canada waits to see if Nam Nguyen becomes the next Chan.

bramweld

Record Breaker
All his relationships have been voluntary unless some know differently.

No meds on earth will rescue gmyers from his current disposition. If that man seduced my 17 year old daughter, they wouldn't find even a single drop of his blood. He was preparing her ultimately for the olympics. Her partner is still carrying a torch for her. He was what maybe 36 at the time, old enough to be her father and wise enough to know that the consequences could be severe. He must have known that Nikita would eventually walk away. He is low down dirty scum. Now unless he has a life changing experience he should not be allowed to coach anyone in my book. Anyone. Think about it what girl who thinks highly of herself would do such a thing, obviously something is out of whack with how she sees things with regard to romantic relationships. She was 17 people, think about that the next time you look at your teenager, tell me it could never happen to your daughter.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
All his relationships have been voluntary unless some know differently.

What skeeves me out about him and Elena is that he was in a position of power over her, not the age difference. Because in Russia, it was legal.
The age difference creeps me out but not as much as the amount of power he held over her and Nikita and their careers. He could've ruined her entire career.

bramweld

Record Breaker
What skeeves me out about him and Elena is that he was in a position of power over her, not the age difference. Because in Russia, it was legal.
The age difference creeps me out but not as much as the amount of power he held over her and Nikita and their careers. He could've ruined her entire career.

You got it just right. He abused that power and no one it seems could convince her otherwise (I'm assuming persons must have tried here). Why she so desperately hung on to him should have been another red flag. What does a 17 year old want with someone in his position, not to mention his age? We all know what he wanted from her.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
It's hard for us to know exactly why Morozov seems to have such power over women - we can only theorize based on what we have observed. It appears to be a combination of 2 factors: 1) He is good-looking, particularly when he was younger; 2) He is in a position of power and influence over his younger skaters.

However, it hasn't just been young women around 18 that have been taken in by this routine, but older and independent women, as well. For example, he convinced Shae-Lynn Bourne into marrying him. It's hard for me, sitting over here in Canada, to know exactly what the deal is with this guy, but it certainly says something when a guy is only 36 years old and has already been married 3 times.

Alba

Record Breaker
I think so too. Don't get me wrong, I like Osmond, but she hasn't delivered the way Skate Canada has been wanting her to (and she'd like to improve I'm sure). If she doesn't improve she may fall by the wayside, leaving room for the next up-and-comer or an accomplished transplant. And if the Japanese men continue to have too much internal competition, their #5 or #6 nationally ranked skater may consider switching countries, especially while Canada waits to see if Nam Nguyen becomes the next Chan.

Osmond was injured. I expect her to do well next season. I like her, she is a natural born performer.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Osmond was injured. I expect her to do well next season. I like her, she is a natural born performer.

I hope so too! She's definitely engaging. Now she needs more consistency, and I hope she takes time to recover fully and not feel pressured to rush back into the swing of things.

Anyhow, I took this topic on a tangent, let's get back to discussing Alena, shall we?