Alena Leonova Leaves Morozov To Join Rukavitsin | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Alena Leonova Leaves Morozov To Join Rukavitsin

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I think the age difference is a problem. People date their coaches, it happens. He and Shae are the same age, so it's not weird at all that they were married. Even a 5-8 year age difference isn't that weird (23 and 30, for example). But 17 and 37? Yuck.

Yes, and Shae-Lynn was more of an equal - she was a strong, independent woman who was in her mid-20's at the time. She wasn't a teenage skater just starting out in her career who looked up to a much older man in a position of power.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Yes, and Shae-Lynn was more of an equal - she was a strong, independent woman who was in her mid-20's at the time. She wasn't a teenage skater just starting out in her career who looked up to a much older man in a position of power.

I wasn't even that weirded out when he dated Miki. She was in her 20s too, she was established internationally, etc. But Elena crosses a line.

gmyers

Record Breaker
gmyers, I really don't know how to explain to you that your coach has power over you. The coach is the one who makes decisions - where to compete, when... The coach is the one that prepares you for competition. So the coach is the most important person who can make or break skaters career. The coach is the professional that gets paid to share his skills, knowledge and experience. The coach is the person the Federation rely on that the skaters are competition ready. On the coach's word the skaters can be withdrawn from the competition. The coach is the one who either arrange choreographer for the couple, or creates programs for them. The program can also be either such a rubbish like the Ghost last year, or on the contrary a very nice program like the Schindler's list. The coach is supposed to know his skaters well and therefore he knows what is skateable for them and what isn't. So when something is not working, sometimes a little change like changing the order of elements in the program can help. Coach is usually aware of his skaters' health problems. Ilushetchkina's coach talked into media about Ilushetchkina's health problems. So disclosing them to media if a skater wants to split up with your favourite student... Doctor has no right to disclose any health problems. Pavlova and Mozer are not doctors and therefore they seem to believe that it is ok to be telling media about their skater's health problems. If Zueva spoke at length about Virtue's leg problems, the chances are that they would loose several gold medals and D/W would gain some medals, because the judges would suddenly start noticing little things... That's why the whole camp pretended that Virtue is absolutely fine! Can you see the power the coach actually has?

I am not disputing a coach having lots of power. I am saying if a coach uses that power to create a sexual relationship that's rape. If Elena felt that having sex with morozov was the only way for her to compete and has a career that is rape.

hanca

Record Breaker
I am not disputing a coach having lots of power. I am saying if a coach uses that power to create a sexual relationship that's rape. If Elena felt that having sex with morozov was the only way for her to compete and has a career that is rape.

You don't seem to be grasping that not everything is so black and white. Elena was young, very infatuated by Morozov and therefore willing participant, so it is not like if he told her that she has to have relationship with him or he would ruin her career. If you look at it from this point of view, it definitely was not rape. However, that still does not make it right. If one in relationship has all the power, it is not an equal partnership, no matter whether the other one was willing participant or not.