Male skaters and make up | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Male skaters and make up

Meoima

Match Penalty
very useful tips (not just for athletes but also for workout too) : http://www.examiner.com/article/the-best-makeup-for-avoiding-a-mid-workout-meltdown

Some of them definitely don't want to get caught wearing make-up no matter how great the products are. Just different preference like everything in life. ;)
Thank you. :biggrin: I am curious about this stuff because normally it very easy for us to point out if a person we meet wears make up or not. Through images and camera, it's harder. Ladies wear obvious make up so there is nothing to debate here. But for men, it's really hard to say. If their make-up is so visible even through camera, that means they must have wear heavy make up. Other than that, it's almost impossible to tell if they wear it subtle or no make up at all.
I mean, look at Charlie White, I am sock to know that Meryl makes up for him. She must have been really good, for I couldn't see the powder layer on his face. :laugh:

desertskates

Medalist
Thanks for sharing the gallery, Icey!!!
I would think for men, powder to cut shine would the norm. And if your eyelashes are blond, a little waterproof mascara. But guyliner annoys the heck out of me!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think most men especially in ice dance user powder for the face and lipstick
especially with the bright lights to add texture to the face at it usually washes the face out

anyanka

Record Breaker
I would have expected they all wear some make-up, but not splatter it on like they're clowns or going out at Halloween. Maybe foundation and contouring to even out skin tones, a bit of eyeliner, and some lipstick. Like it or not, they are almost always being filmed in competition / exhibition and they understand that they need to visually prepare as if they are on a TV or film set. Features wash out, so they may need some so that eyes, lips and noses stand out a bit more once they add all that harsh lighting. To what degree each uses make-up depends on what each skater wants to emphasize. I'm sure they have consultants to test and guide them, and experiment to see what works best from presentation point of view.

Let's also not forget: they're on a sheet of ice. Combined with the lighting of the camera that is a LOT of white space showing up on camera. They would something to make their faces stand out. Expression would be more obvious to the judges and would add to the presentation aspect. If I were a judge and let's say for example Yuzu was on the other end of the ice, I would not be able to see him emote as clearly, but if I see the face with just the right make-up, it would stand out in the instant I saw it when he intended to in that moment, and would be more inclined to give a better mark.

Some skaters I understand also take acting classes. With what they learn to express themselves in their faces, (some) make-up can help them stand out for sure and make it more obvious to a judge or spectator.

I wonder, with all that sweat pouring at the end of each skate if we can look at the close-ups in the K&C area, can we see what they've been using?

Mafke

Medalist
I'd be surprised if any elite skaters (in the last three groups or so) don't wear some makeup, especially for televized competitions. Spotlights don't do anyone's natural skin tones (regardless of ethnic/racial background) any favors.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
In the Johnny Weir documentary, "Pop Star On Ice," his friend Paris said something to the effect of: people made a big deal about Johnny wearing makeup, but all male skaters do for competitions.

Meoima

Match Penalty
In the Johnny Weir documentary, "Pop Star On Ice," his friend Paris said something to the effect of: people made a big deal about Johnny wearing makeup, but all male skaters do for competitions.
I think top skater might use powder, or lipstick. It's very subtle so we can't see it through camera.
But mascara and eyeliner like Weir or Sandhu? I think not. Because mascara and eyeliners are so obvious the camera couldn't miss it.
Close up in the top men face like PChan, Ten, Javi or Hanyu show no track of mascara or eyeliners. I am not sure if they use lipstick or not, their lips look pale, though.
Powder? Maybe. But since they are all sweaty it's so difficult to tell.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I think top skater might use powder, or lipstick. It's very subtle so we can't see it through camera.
But mascara and eyeliner like Weir or Sandhu? I think not. Because mascara and eyeliners heavy are so obvious the camera couldn't miss it.
Close up in the top men face like PChan, Ten, Javi or Hanyu show no track of mascara or eyeliners. I am not sure if they use lipstick or not, their lips look pale, though.
Powder? Maybe. But since they are all sweaty it's so difficult to tell.
Agree you can notice eyeliner and lipstick.

Maybe they limit to base and powder.

Kalina

On the Ice
Most of the Asian men seem to have very good skin even off ice (Tatsuki being an exception). The Japanese skaters look no different in and out of the ice, and even Daisuke who is quite fashion conscious, when seen in close ups does not seem to wear any. Hanyu of course sweats so much that he literally dunks his face into his towel as soon as he steps out of the ice, with very little care about make up, and has often visible shadows under his eyes and the occasional spot. I'm pretty sure they do have make up artists working backstage during their shows though.
I don't think Patrick wears any, either.
As for Javier, I remember seeing one picture of him in the Kiss&Cry after his Chaplin during the 2013 Europeans, and his face was a shade different from his neck, it was quite noticeable (here).

evangeline

Record Breaker
I expect that quite a few male skaters would use a product like mattefying powder or primer to make sure their faces don't get too shiny under the bright lights and to even out their skin tone, and probably concealer to conceal some minor imperfections. It's all part of the "no makeup makeup" look.