Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Male skaters and make up

fairy dust distributor ~Pamina~'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzceleste View Post
    ^Sometimes it can look good, it helps is the model is a beatiful man http://www.elle.com/pop-culture/cele...k=next#slide-5
    that helps a lot

Banned
    I think most men especially in ice dance user powder for the face and lipstick
    especially with the bright lights to add texture to the face at it usually washes the face out

Custom Title
    I would have expected they all wear some make-up, but not splatter it on like they're clowns or going out at Halloween. Maybe foundation and contouring to even out skin tones, a bit of eyeliner, and some lipstick. Like it or not, they are almost always being filmed in competition / exhibition and they understand that they need to visually prepare as if they are on a TV or film set. Features wash out, so they may need some so that eyes, lips and noses stand out a bit more once they add all that harsh lighting. To what degree each uses make-up depends on what each skater wants to emphasize. I'm sure they have consultants to test and guide them, and experiment to see what works best from presentation point of view.

Let's also not forget: they're on a sheet of ice. Combined with the lighting of the camera that is a LOT of white space showing up on camera. They would something to make their faces stand out. Expression would be more obvious to the judges and would add to the presentation aspect. If I were a judge and let's say for example Yuzu was on the other end of the ice, I would not be able to see him emote as clearly, but if I see the face with just the right make-up, it would stand out in the instant I saw it when he intended to in that moment, and would be more inclined to give a better mark.

Some skaters I understand also take acting classes. With what they learn to express themselves in their faces, (some) make-up can help them stand out for sure and make it more obvious to a judge or spectator.

I wonder, with all that sweat pouring at the end of each skate if we can look at the close-ups in the K&C area, can we see what they've been using?

I'd be surprised if any elite skaters (in the last three groups or so) don't wear some makeup, especially for televized competitions. Spotlights don't do anyone's natural skin tones (regardless of ethnic/racial background) any favors.

In the Johnny Weir documentary, "Pop Star On Ice," his friend Paris said something to the effect of: people made a big deal about Johnny wearing makeup, but all male skaters do for competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by gallavich View Post
    In the Johnny Weir documentary, "Pop Star On Ice," his friend Paris said something to the effect of: people made a big deal about Johnny wearing makeup, but all male skaters do for competitions.
    I think top skater might use powder, or lipstick. It's very subtle so we can't see it through camera.
    But mascara and eyeliner like Weir or Sandhu? I think not. Because mascara and eyeliners are so obvious the camera couldn't miss it.
    Close up in the top men face like PChan, Ten, Javi or Hanyu show no track of mascara or eyeliners. I am not sure if they use lipstick or not, their lips look pale, though.
    Powder? Maybe. But since they are all sweaty it's so difficult to tell.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    No makeup? You mean Evan Lysacek is actually orange in real life?

Okay - that made me laugh outloud!!! Good one Mathman.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    I think top skater might use powder, or lipstick. It's very subtle so we can't see it through camera.
    But mascara and eyeliner like Weir or Sandhu? I think not. Because mascara and eyeliners heavy are so obvious the camera couldn't miss it.
    Close up in the top men face like PChan, Ten, Javi or Hanyu show no track of mascara or eyeliners. I am not sure if they use lipstick or not, their lips look pale, though.
    Powder? Maybe. But since they are all sweaty it's so difficult to tell.
    Agree you can notice eyeliner and lipstick.

Maybe they limit to base and powder.

Custom Title
    Most of the Asian men seem to have very good skin even off ice (Tatsuki being an exception). The Japanese skaters look no different in and out of the ice, and even Daisuke who is quite fashion conscious, when seen in close ups does not seem to wear any. Hanyu of course sweats so much that he literally dunks his face into his towel as soon as he steps out of the ice, with very little care about make up, and has often visible shadows under his eyes and the occasional spot. I'm pretty sure they do have make up artists working backstage during their shows though.
    I don't think Patrick wears any, either.
    As for Javier, I remember seeing one picture of him in the Kiss&Cry after his Chaplin during the 2013 Europeans, and his face was a shade different from his neck, it was quite noticeable (here).

Custom Title
    I expect that quite a few male skaters would use a product like mattefying powder or primer to make sure their faces don't get too shiny under the bright lights and to even out their skin tone, and probably concealer to conceal some minor imperfections. It's all part of the "no makeup makeup" look.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    Let's also not forget: they're on a sheet of ice. Combined with the lighting of the camera that is a LOT of white space showing up on camera. They would something to make their faces stand out. Expression would be more obvious to the judges and would add to the presentation aspect. If I were a judge and let's say for example Yuzu was on the other end of the ice, I would not be able to see him emote as clearly, but if I see the face with just the right make-up, it would stand out in the instant I saw it when he intended to in that moment, and would be more inclined to give a better mark.
    Yes the light and the ice sheet play so much factor on the skaters appearance on the ice. I have one set of my daughter's photo to proof that. We were late and had no time for the make up. Since she was only 9 at the time, I though her youth would pull that off to some extent. But nope...I was so wrong. From that set of pictures, she could have been the extra from the Walking Dead.

Tripping on the Podium
    Stéphane and Johnny make-up session. Classics
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er0dl7iore8

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cristina View Post
    Stéphane and Johnny make-up session. Classics
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er0dl7iore8
    This video is epic!!!! Should I be surprise that Johnny has more make up than me?

Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom View Post
    But nope...I was so wrong. From that set of pictures, she could have been the extra from the Walking Dead.
    Ladies and gentlement, we have Yuzuzombie:

Kiss and cry at TEB 2013: http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Y...yHii3mhe8l.jpg
    In practice: http://assets.espn.go.com/i/oly/wint...zuru_Hanyu.jpg

Damn, I wish I had his skin. Or at least the base and powder that they are using for him, if he had any make-up on that face.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzceleste View Post
    This video is epic!!!! Should I be surprise that Johnny has more make up than me?
    I assume Johnny has more make up than even Tara Lipinski

tripping on the toe pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    But mascara and eyeliner like Weir or Sandhu? I think not. Because mascara and eyeliners are so obvious the camera couldn't miss it.
    Well, if you use cheap and crappy mascara and/or don't know how to apply it properly... Good mascara, right colour, proper application = looks "natural". Also, eyeliner doesn't only come in black. There are more subtle colours which help you accentuate your eyes without being very obvious.

I suck at using primer+foundation+matifying powder so I usually don't bother, but the right producs and someone who knows how to use them = ten times better looking skin that still looks "natural".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast