Thread: Which country will be the next to have a gold in history in each skating discipline

Hybrid View

Banned

Which country will be the next to have a gold in history in each skating discipline

Now that Russia is officialy the first country to ever win an Olympic gold in each skating discipline which country will be the next? Right now the U.S lacks only pairs. Canada lacks only men. France I believe lack only ladies. Germany lacks only dance I believe. Britian lacks only the pairs. Austria lacks only the ice dancing gold. So that is atleast 6 countries with 3 out of 4. So who will be next, and how far into the future might it be.

Also should we now add needing the team gold to complete that set.

I think it will be a long time, perhaps atleast 20 years, before any country joins the club. I dont see a pairs gold for the U.S on the horizon. Canada could win a mens gold with someone like Nguyen or another up and comer, but not sure it will happen. We do still have a strong mens program going though. So Canada is probably the most likely. France does not look likely to do it in ladies anytime soon. The other countries seem out of gold contention in any event for the moment, other than possibly Germany in pairs.

Medalist
    I'll vote for Canada, none of the others have a shot imo because the discipline they each lack doesn't seem to be very popular or promising in the lacking country. I think it may be a while, if ever, for Canada though. Also, who were the french pair to win gold?

Hic Rhodus, hic salta
    Quote Originally Posted by Risa View Post
    I'll vote for Canada, none of the others have a shot imo because the discipline they each lack doesn't seem to be very popular or promising in the lacking country. I think it may be a while, if ever, for Canada though. Also, who were the french pair to win gold?
    Pierre Brunet and his wife Andrée Joly-Brunet, double Olympic champions back in 1928 and 1932. No Frenchman nor Frenchwoman has ever won in Men's or Ladies' singles, though: the best achievements are a silver medal (Alain Calmat 1964) and a bronze medal (Jacqueline du Bief 1952)

Custom Title
    I say the US. We already have golds in Ladies, Men's and Dance. The only Olympic Gold missing is Pairs. Though I don't know how soon it will come. I don't really follow pairs anymore, but as I understand the US pairs field is not that deep right now and probably won't be anytime soon.

Yeah, Canada is probably going to do it next, and it may be Nguyen. I think Nguyen has a better chance of winning gold in 2018 than any of the current US pairs. It would take some team really shooting up the ranks or a totally new team blowing everyone out of the water for the US to get a pairs gold. Britain doesn't even have any pairs in which both partners are currently citizens, Meite won't win gold in 2018, and Z/G won't either, if they even continue that long. I can't even remember the current top Austrian dance team! ETA: According to Euros results, it's Silna/Kurakin. Wouldn't have known.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Yeah, Canada is probably going to do it next, and it may be Nguyen. I think Nguyen has a better chance of winning gold in 2018 than any of the current US pairs. It would take some team really shooting up the ranks or a totally new team blowing everyone out of the water for the US to get a pairs gold. Britain doesn't even have any pairs in which both partners are currently citizens, Meite won't win gold in 2018, and Z/G won't either, if they even continue that long. I can't even remember the current top Austrian dance team! ETA: According to Euros results, it's Silna/Kurakin. Wouldn't have known.
    I didn't know Canada had a gold in ladies when I originally posted. Apparently they received gold in 1948 (Barbara Ann Scott). So I change my vote. :D I think Canada will be next to have an OGM in all figure skating disciplines.

Something else surprising and interesting I just learned, at least according to Wikipedia, the US has the most figure skating Olympic medals (48). Russia (26) is next. However, if you combine Russia and the Soviet Union(24) they have more than the US.

Custom Title
    All countries had to wait for Russia's fail, because with current rules I can't see them to lost Olympic Team Gold Medal. Canada close with team and mens gold. I can't see USA getting team gold over both Russia and Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I dont think Nguyen's chances of gold in 2018 are good at all. Maybe 15% at best, and that might be generous. Hanyu right is the early favorite for 2018, and Fernandez should be around and still strong by then. Who knows who else of the current skaters could be an OGM by then, but there could be 1 or 2 others. Then amongst his age peers someone like Nathan Chen probably has as much or more chance of winning the 2018 OGM as he does, and there are others he doesnt dominate as things are now.

Still there probably is a chance, and that aleady puts Canada ahead of the others.
    Yeah, there's not that much chance of Nguyen winning in 2018, but there's more chance of that than the other scenarios mentioned. Maybe Nguyen's time will actually be 2022.

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    The U.S has not had a potential gold medal pair in a long time. Babilionia & Gardner were probably their best ever chance. They had to unfortunately WD from the 1980 Olympics with his injury. Even had they skated though the politics of skating would have made it hard to beat the legend Rodnina in her swan song event, and I am not sure if it was possible.
    This. I know it was really painful for Tai and Randy, but it might have been a blessing in disguise. Imagine Tai skating flawless programs and bringing the arena to its feet, and then the stern and unmusical Rodnina winning the judges just because she's Rodnina. Fratianne couldn't handle her loss, and maybe Tai and Randy would have only bad feelings also if they went clean and lost due to obvious politics. I still do not understand Rodnina's appeal. Yes, she was tiny and skated fast, but there was no beauty, no grace, no feeling, it was all just like a robot. Slutskaya had more grace than Rodnina, which is appalling.

Given this list, I can only imagine Canada making this club. They've come SO CLOSE so many times. It's bound to happen in the next twenty years. American pairs? They change partners more often than their underwear, so I don't imagine US ever getting Oly gold in pairs.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    Given this list, I can only imagine Canada making this club. They've come SO CLOSE so many times. It's bound to happen in the next twenty years. American pairs? They change partners more often than their underwear, so I don't imagine US ever getting Oly gold in pairs.
    You're so right re: American pairs. These days none of them stick together long enough to reach that altered state where two people truly do "skate as one," as Dick Button always described it. IIRC, the last US pair on the podium @ the Olys was Watson/Oppegard in 1988. So long...

Love the history in this thread, though!

Custom Title
    Well, if we're counting the team competition (and it continues being an Olympic event), I don't think anyone's gonna win over Russia anytime soon. Well, maybe Canada in 2018 if somebody bombs, and even then it'll be difficult considering Canada lacks pairs and ladies. Assuming Russia keeps it together, they'll end up winning all the disciplines again before anyone else even does so once. I mean, all they need is another ladies champion (easily done if Korea doesn't opt for revenge) and another team medal. They've got enough pairs/ice dance/men's champions to fill an ocean.

Logically, Canada should be the next one. Canada's men are way stronger than USA's pairs. But superstitiously, I really question whether we can ever win the men's category. Just doesn't seem to be in the cards. Orser got outskated in his home country, Stojko got gobbled by injury in Nagano, and Chan--infamous for winning for falls--stayed on his feet and lost to a guy who fell twice. It's like Kwan and that stupid Olympics gold--just can never quite reach it, despite always coming so close.