Which country will be the next to have a gold in history in each skating discipline | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Which country will be the next to have a gold in history in each skating discipline

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
^^^^^
Now that's a winning strategy! And help Steuer start a school in the USA, too.

Bonnie F

On the Ice
In terms of Olympic Golds Russia alone (only in existence since he 94 games) has 14, just 1 less than the U.S with 15. Combining Russia and the old USSR it is 27 to 15 in favor of USSR/Russia, and I believe only 1 of those was from a non Russian- Petrenko in 1992, so is probably 26 to 15 in Russian based golds. It is very much unlike gymnastics where post of the pre breakup greats were actually from Ukraine, but which the lazy U.S media potrays as Russian all along.

I also found it interesting that Grishuk and Platov were both from the Ukraine but competed for Russia. I've never heard if they ever considered representing Ukraine but combine them with Baiul and Petrenko and it would seem the Ukraine is only half a pair away from an unofficial sweep.;)

whatif

Medalist
We have won two. Sale & Pelletier, and Wagner & Paul completing their run of total dominance from 57-60 with the Olympic Gold to go with their 4 straight world titles. Dafoe & Bowden also should have won the 1956 Olympic gold and the 56 world title to go with their 54 and 55 world titles, but were robbed of the gold by a political deal for the Austrians who needed an Olympic Champion to promote their ice show.

Of course it's always politics that rob Canadians. Thank you for reminding us all. But I forgot about Wagner/Paul. S/P did NOT win Gold Medal.

Mafke

Medalist
S/P did NOT win Gold Medal.

I think of them as the silver medalists. On the other hand I enjoyed them (although I loathe Love Story) several times more than the one-note olympics of the unbearably precious B/S (great skating skills I just never warmed to them, I much preferred P/T among the Russians)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Are you saying they will do it again before anyone else completes one?

anyanka

Record Breaker
I also found it interesting that Grishuk and Platov were both from the Ukraine but competed for Russia. I've never heard if they ever considered representing Ukraine but combine them with Baiul and Petrenko and it would seem the Ukraine is only half a pair away from an unofficial sweep.;)

Good catch! And by "half a pair away from an unofficial sweep" I presume you mentioned Volosozhar, right? ;)

aschiutza

On the Ice
My tip is on USA. USA loves team competitions and the new team competition will be an incentive to develop all four categories.

I wish they will add also at the world competition a team one, but with the money disscusion and getting rid of short programs would be a not a great chance i suppose...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It will likely be Canada. I would expect a Canadian man to win the OGM before the US Pairs. There's something about US Pairs that isn't exactly packaged ideally. Perhaps the next best US/World pair is right around the corner, but I think Nguyen in 2022 could stand a shot at gold.

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
Technically Petrenko won gold as a member of the "unified team" under the flag of the IOC (since the USSR had dissolved by the beginning of the games)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Team_at_the_1992_Winter_Olympics

It's not clear at all if Ukraine will ever have a winter olympic team again, given Russia's territorial ambitions there.

There is a lot going on in Ukraine right now (Yulia Tymoshenko is now back in the government, unelected people like Dmitro Yarosh hold high-ranking government positions, the new president will likely be worse than the old one, etc), and it's unfair to peg it ALL on Russia. Unfortunately, it's impossible to say who's really in the right in this case because of all of the media propaganda that Russia and USA are spewing out.

Alba

Record Breaker
It will likely be Canada. I would expect a Canadian man to win the OGM before the US Pairs. There's something about US Pairs that isn't exactly packaged ideally. Perhaps the next best US/World pair is right around the corner, but I think Nguyen in 2022 could stand a shot at gold.

I expect Canada as well.

Originally Posted by Risa
I also found it interesting that Grishuk and Platov were both from the Ukraine but competed for Russia. I've never heard if they ever considered representing Ukraine but combine them with Baiul and Petrenko and it would seem the Ukraine is only half a pair away from an unofficial sweep.

I think Evgeny is a russian origin from Odessa, if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, they were formed and trained mostly in Moscow, and had the best possible options in Russia, as far as coaching, training and other facilities is concerned. So it made sense to skate for Russia. I also think that the strong competition inside Russia help them a lot to become a strong couple.
We don't know if they would have had the same results if they had stayed in Ukraine.

BlackPack

Medalist
I think the Olympic Team Event probably reflects the countries' prospective domination in all disciplines. Russia-Canada-USA would be the main ones for many years to come because they have so many skaters in the top 10 in all disciplines.

Japan has depth in ladies and men, but not in ice dancing and pairs.

China lost a lot of momentum; at first it seemed that it was going to be a new era in 2006 and 2010, and all China needed to complete the ascent was to find a top ice dancing couple and man to have medalists in all disciplines. Chinese skaters we nowhere near the podium in Sochi at all. Li Zijun and Han Yan might medal one of these days but at the moment gold is a long shot. No ice dancing for China either; the Chinese ice dance team - what happened to them? They didn't qualify?

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
The U.S has not had a potential gold medal pair in a long time. Babilionia & Gardner were probably their best ever chance. They had to unfortunately WD from the 1980 Olympics with his injury. Even had they skated though the politics of skating would have made it hard to beat the legend Rodnina in her swan song event, and I am not sure if it was possible.

This. I know it was really painful for Tai and Randy, but it might have been a blessing in disguise. Imagine Tai skating flawless programs and bringing the arena to its feet, and then the stern and unmusical Rodnina winning the judges just because she's Rodnina. Fratianne couldn't handle her loss, and maybe Tai and Randy would have only bad feelings also if they went clean and lost due to obvious politics. I still do not understand Rodnina's appeal. Yes, she was tiny and skated fast, but there was no beauty, no grace, no feeling, it was all just like a robot. Slutskaya had more grace than Rodnina, which is appalling.

Given this list, I can only imagine Canada making this club. They've come SO CLOSE so many times. It's bound to happen in the next twenty years. American pairs? They change partners more often than their underwear, so I don't imagine US ever getting Oly gold in pairs.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Given this list, I can only imagine Canada making this club. They've come SO CLOSE so many times. It's bound to happen in the next twenty years. American pairs? They change partners more often than their underwear, so I don't imagine US ever getting Oly gold in pairs.

You're so right re: American pairs. These days none of them stick together long enough to reach that altered state where two people truly do "skate as one," as Dick Button always described it. IIRC, the last US pair on the podium @ the Olys was Watson/Oppegard in 1988. So long...

Love the history in this thread, though!