Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Which country will be the next to have a gold in history in each skating discipline

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Yeah, Canada is probably going to do it next, and it may be Nguyen. I think Nguyen has a better chance of winning gold in 2018 than any of the current US pairs. It would take some team really shooting up the ranks or a totally new team blowing everyone out of the water for the US to get a pairs gold. Britain doesn't even have any pairs in which both partners are currently citizens, Meite won't win gold in 2018, and Z/G won't either, if they even continue that long. I can't even remember the current top Austrian dance team! ETA: According to Euros results, it's Silna/Kurakin. Wouldn't have known.
    I didn't know Canada had a gold in ladies when I originally posted. Apparently they received gold in 1948 (Barbara Ann Scott). So I change my vote. :D I think Canada will be next to have an OGM in all figure skating disciplines.

Something else surprising and interesting I just learned, at least according to Wikipedia, the US has the most figure skating Olympic medals (48). Russia (26) is next. However, if you combine Russia and the Soviet Union(24) they have more than the US.

Ice is slippery.
    Quote Originally Posted by kresslia View Post
    Canada has been strong in the men's competition for decades now. We've had titans in the discipline almost nonstop for quite a while. It's only a matter of time before we actually end up snagging the gold. Nguyen is young. He's 15. We can't tell how he will do four years from now - he will be a LOT different. The kid doesn't even have a quad yet. For now, I see promise. A lot of promise. I won't be so silly as to consider him a gold medal contender yet, but I have my eye on him. Who was the junior world champion four years ago? Yeah... Yuzuru Hanyu.
    Jr's podium isn't really a good indicator. On some occasions, its a sign of whats to come but more often than not it doesn't mean much after they get into Sr's.

And Nam's only medal that season was his world's while Yuzuru won Gold in every single Jr. competition he was in that year and his dominance lead to him moving to Sr's. So I hope Nam stay's in Jr for another season and get some more experience and not be pushed to move so soon.

Could be USA. I don't see anything stopping us from developing a few good pairs teams just like we did in ice dancing. Tai and Randy were world champions and olympic contenders. The key is to start a team young and keep them together, like Davis and White.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Could be USA. I don't see anything stopping us from developing a few good pairs teams just like we did in ice dancing. Tai and Randy were world champions and olympic contenders. The key is to start a team young and keep them together, like Davis and White.
    Wouldn't a better strategy be to start a bunch of teams young?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Or y'all could just convince Aljona Savchenko to pair up with an American guy.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    ^^^^^
    Now that's a winning strategy! And help Steuer start a school in the USA, too.

Custom Title
    When did Canada WIN Olympic Gold Medal in Pairs?

P/B Appreciation Squad fleeting's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whatif View Post
    When did Canada WIN Olympic Gold Medal in Pairs?
    Sale/Pelletier after the 2002 scandal in Salt Lake were awarded a OGM as well as Berezhanaya/Sikharulidze in a redone ceremony.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    In terms of Olympic Golds Russia alone (only in existence since he 94 games) has 14, just 1 less than the U.S with 15. Combining Russia and the old USSR it is 27 to 15 in favor of USSR/Russia, and I believe only 1 of those was from a non Russian- Petrenko in 1992, so is probably 26 to 15 in Russian based golds. It is very much unlike gymnastics where post of the pre breakup greats were actually from Ukraine, but which the lazy U.S media potrays as Russian all along.
    I also found it interesting that Grishuk and Platov were both from the Ukraine but competed for Russia. I've never heard if they ever considered representing Ukraine but combine them with Baiul and Petrenko and it would seem the Ukraine is only half a pair away from an unofficial sweep.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    We have won two. Sale & Pelletier, and Wagner & Paul completing their run of total dominance from 57-60 with the Olympic Gold to go with their 4 straight world titles. Dafoe & Bowden also should have won the 1956 Olympic gold and the 56 world title to go with their 54 and 55 world titles, but were robbed of the gold by a political deal for the Austrians who needed an Olympic Champion to promote their ice show.
    Of course it's always politics that rob Canadians. Thank you for reminding us all. But I forgot about Wagner/Paul. S/P did NOT win Gold Medal.

Quote Originally Posted by whatif View Post
    S/P did NOT win Gold Medal.
    I think of them as the silver medalists. On the other hand I enjoyed them (although I loathe Love Story) several times more than the one-note olympics of the unbearably precious B/S (great skating skills I just never warmed to them, I much preferred P/T among the Russians)

Russia.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Are you saying they will do it again before anyone else completes one?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Risa View Post
    I also found it interesting that Grishuk and Platov were both from the Ukraine but competed for Russia. I've never heard if they ever considered representing Ukraine but combine them with Baiul and Petrenko and it would seem the Ukraine is only half a pair away from an unofficial sweep.
    Good catch! And by "half a pair away from an unofficial sweep" I presume you mentioned Volosozhar, right?

Custom Title
    My tip is on USA. USA loves team competitions and the new team competition will be an incentive to develop all four categories.

I wish they will add also at the world competition a team one, but with the money disscusion and getting rid of short programs would be a not a great chance i suppose...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast