Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Which country will be the next to have a gold in history in each skating discipline

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Yeah, there's not that much chance of Nguyen winning in 2018, but there's more chance of that than the other scenarios mentioned. Maybe Nguyen's time will actually be 2022.
    Agreed. Nguyen could possibly get a top 6 in 2018, which would set himself up well for 2022. He's in good hands with Orser, who will ensure that he develops his skating skills and speed, as well as tailor his programs precisely to CoP.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Yeah, there's not that much chance of Nguyen winning in 2018, but there's more chance of that than the other scenarios mentioned. Maybe Nguyen's time will actually be 2022.
    ^ I was gonna say. He's only 15 now, he'll be 23 by 2022. The next quad will likely be led by Yuzu and the Japanese, Javi, Denis, Yan. Nguyen will be fine, he needs time to develop.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flutzy13 View Post
    I see 2 big issues. 1. I'm not sure we have the coaches who are going to get our pairs back into the medal conversation. I so respect what coaches like Bobby Martin and Jim Peterson are doing and I love some of their teams. But I think maybe US pairs could be helped by importing some coaches who have had success and having them work with younger teams and build from the ground up. Sort of like what we had in dance with Igor and Marina coming and working with teams like D/W and the Shibs from juniors up. Dance was once the token discipline where we couldn't medal- now its pairs. And that was never the case until about a decade ago even if we didn't quite podium at Olympics. Until 2006, there was always the chance the the US could sneak in and we did sometimes at Worlds. 2. I think there's a mentality in the US that pairs is for failed singles skaters. TSL touched on this and I think its an astute point. That doesn't exist as much in other countries. Certainly not Russia or China. How we fix this and get more talented skaters into pairs youngerI have no idea.
    Lots to think about; thanks for the ideas! Importing coaches could help a lot -- I must confess I've had a recurring fantasy of Tamara Moskvina whipping a few US pairs into shape. But seriously, I think the US could do with an infusion of Russian mentality into the pairs program. And it needs to start with the kids.

And yes, you're definitely onto something re: the "failed singles skaters" thing. It's unfortunate, b/c the pairs discipline is unique unto itself and so very beautiful at its best. Some of the challenges are the same but others are profoundly different. And you can't have a great pair w/o great singles skills!

It also occurred to me that the American mindset is essentially individualistic -- it's not that we don't value collaboration, but the primary focus is on the individual. We love our loners, I think. Hence our emphasis on singles. I love our great singles skaters but in not valuing pairs, I think we're missing out on something wonderful. Here's hoping that changes in the near future.

Custom Title
    Well, if we're counting the team competition (and it continues being an Olympic event), I don't think anyone's gonna win over Russia anytime soon. Well, maybe Canada in 2018 if somebody bombs, and even then it'll be difficult considering Canada lacks pairs and ladies. Assuming Russia keeps it together, they'll end up winning all the disciplines again before anyone else even does so once. I mean, all they need is another ladies champion (easily done if Korea doesn't opt for revenge) and another team medal. They've got enough pairs/ice dance/men's champions to fill an ocean.

Logically, Canada should be the next one. Canada's men are way stronger than USA's pairs. But superstitiously, I really question whether we can ever win the men's category. Just doesn't seem to be in the cards. Orser got outskated in his home country, Stojko got gobbled by injury in Nagano, and Chan--infamous for winning for falls--stayed on his feet and lost to a guy who fell twice. It's like Kwan and that stupid Olympics gold--just can never quite reach it, despite always coming so close.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4