2013-2014 Programs by Discipline | Page 66 | Golden Skate

2013-2014 Programs by Discipline

JewelInTheSun

Rinkside
That was a disaster! S/Z's version is unbeatable for pairs and S/S is not good at classic music at all.
Ingo should not find DW for them in Olympic season because it's too risky and the fact proves this.
S/S are always impressive for their choice of music but Nutcracker is overused for so many years.
So sad for this pair's final choice.

Calm down! I hate these superfluous comparisions before people haven't even seen a new program. How do you know S/S are not good at classic music? They never used one before.. S/S want to make their own Nutcracker and people should stop comparing new programs with so called "unbeatable" versions of the past.
Besides - no risk, no reward.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm wondering whether they are going to use some of the quirkier cuts rather than the usual stuff that ladies singles nutcrackers do, or the usual pas de deux part.

Maybe they can both be the Russian dancers, or Robin the mouse king or Robin the nutcracker or Drosselmeyer, and absolutely not the prince. I'm interested to see what they do with it.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not to mention that there are more to the Nutcracker than Pas de deux!!! Yeah people really need to calm down.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Calm down! I hate these superfluous comparisions before people haven't even seen a new program. How do you know S/S are not good at classic music? They never used one before.. S/S want to make their own Nutcracker and people should stop comparing new programs with so called "unbeatable" versions of the past.
Besides - no risk, no reward.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how skating to The Nutcracker is a risk. It's overused music. Maybe they're taking a "risk" by not skating to film music like they usually do, but it's not so much of a risk to skate to Christmas ballet music.

ang709

Rinkside
I see Jeremy Abbott is skating to Muse again. I really enjoy that program. I hope he has much success with it this season.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sorry, but I fail to see how skating to The Nutcracker is a risk. It's overused music. Maybe they're taking a "risk" by not skating to film music like they usually do, but it's not so much of a risk to skate to Christmas ballet music.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not a fan of the Nutcracker as skating music. It just seems odd after Christmas.

I like "O Holy Night." I think it's beautiful. But I don't want to hear it in February or March.

Of course, I have a negative bias against Nutcracker, since my wife forced me to go once to see her little cousin be a mouse or some-such, and I wished for a pair of scissors to stab myself in the jugular.

babyalligator

On the Ice
I suppose Nutcracker could be risky in the sense that S/S haven't done anything like it. It's a strange choice once a skater has left the junior circuit.

Aesthetics

Rinkside
Maybe it seems that Orser favors Javier more because he knows what to do with him and doesn't quite know what direction to take with Yuzu. Javier is easy to package.
There is more to this sport than politics but some people love to find conspiracy and conflict in just about everything.
I don’t think it’s just conspiracy. Politics IS IMPORTANT in this sport. Otherwise how could PChan win last worlds when he did not deserve to win? Also Akiko should have won NHK last year but she lost to Asada, who had the support of JSF and her strong agency—the same IMG.

Whether Orser is helpful to Hanyu or not? I think Orser’s team is helpful technically, but not artistically. Hanyu’s skating skills and transitions improved after he went to Canada. Now he’s getting close to PChan’s level in SS and TR. You should give credit to Orser and Tracy for this. But artistically I think Orser and DWilson are not as good and creative as the Russian couple who choreographed Hanyu’s 2011-2012 programs. If Orser’s team can’t package Hanyu properly, then I wish Hanyu will have opportunity to work with other choreographers besides Orser’s friends and business partners. I don’t want to see young talent wasted by uncreative programs just because the choreographer is the coach’s friend and business partner.

Whether Orser favors Javi because of IMG? IIRC earlier this year Orser said he thinks Javi is the contender for Sochi Olympics, not Hanyu. Many people were confused why would Orser say that and annouce his favoritism for one student over the other one, especially when the other one just broke the world record twice. Now I finally understand it.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Whether Orser favors Javi because of IMG? IIRC earlier this year Orser said he thinks Javi is the contender for Sochi Olympics, not Hanyu. Many people were confused why would Orser say that and annouce his favoritism for one student over the other one, especially when the other one just broke the world record twice. Now I finally understand it.

But Javier has the highest total and free skating scores of the season--higher than that of Patrick, Yuzuru, or Daisuke. Javier's total score was six points off of Patrick's WR total and his free skating score was a little more than a point away from Patrick's WR FS. Yuzuru, on the other hand, is closer to Patrick in the SP score than Javier (about five points off), but is also ten points off in the FS and sixteen points off in the total score. In terms of higher scores, Javier beats Yuzuru.

Yuzuru has very, very impressive combinations (variations of 3-4 or 4-3), but he has yet to show them in competition. Javier, on the other hand, has shown that he is quite capable of putting out three quads in the long program and at least one in the short. Javier has also attempted more quad jumps than Yuzuru these past three years and is just a little more successful at getting them fully ratified.

ser22

On the Ice
Sorry my bad english...
I think it unnecessary to compare them, since two of the same caliber skater. About what is going on in the background, not know anything.
Orser would wrong. And he has can feel . Yuzu is smart enough to go back to Japan.

Aesthetics

Rinkside
But Javier has the highest total and free skating scores of the season--higher than that of Patrick, Yuzuru, or Daisuke. Javier's total score was six points off of Patrick's WR total and his free skating score was a little more than a point away from Patrick's WR FS. Yuzuru, on the other hand, is closer to Patrick in the SP score than Javier (about five points off), but is also ten points off in the FS and sixteen points off in the total score. In terms of higher scores, Javier beats Yuzuru.
Who’s five points off from whom? P Chan’s sp record was 98.37, Hanyu’s sp sb score was 95.32, Javi’s sp sb was 88.80. So the difference between Hanyu and Javi’s sp sb was 6.52 points. If you want to compare Javi and Hanyu, then Javi is a 4s genius. In this area he definitely beats Hanyu. But all other areas—4t, 3a, spins, skating skills, transitions, Hanyu all beat Javi. Which program gets higher score also depends on the choreography, which is one reason Hanyu’s Notre Dame free skate was not successful—its choreography was not as good as Javi’s Chaplin program. DWilson’s Notre Dame FS copies Hanyu’s 2011-2012 R&J program, but not as beautiful and creative as R&J. Hanyu’s FS tes was actually higher than Javi at last Worlds, but Hanyu lost to Javi due to pcs—the judges and many audience do not like the program DWilson gave to Hanyu.

Like jennyanydots posted, Orser’s team probably doesn’t know how to package Hanyu. So I replied I wish Hanyu will have opportunity to work with other choreographers besides Orser’s friends and business partners. More important I think Orser should not favor any one student, especially since Hanyu is capable of breaking WR and his Notre Dame free skate was not successful partly because DWilson did not choreograph it well in the beginning. OTOH, even if Orser favors one student in his mind, he did not have to announce to the public. Usually coaches would not publicly announce which student they favor. The better way to say that would be “I hope both my students will be successful and they are both contenders at Olympics.”

Yuzuru has very, very impressive combinations (variations of 3-4 or 4-3), but he has yet to show them in competition. Javier, on the other hand, has shown that he is quite capable of putting out three quads in the long program and at least one in the short. Javier has also attempted more quad jumps than Yuzuru these past three years and is just a little more successful at getting them fully ratified.
Which combination do you mean? Hanyu has not been trying to do a 4-3 in competitions last season. His main problems are the 4s and bad choreography of Notre Dame free skate. He does not need to do 4-3t because he’s doing 3a-3t in the second half, with the extra points. Javi is a 4s genius, so he does two 4s and one 4t. But remember quads are not the only jumps in a program. Javi only has one 3a while Hanyu has two 3a in the second half, and Javi usually pops or falls on the easier jumps in his free skate as he did at last two Worlds. Like P Chan had two perfect 4t and 4t-3t in FS at last Worlds, but he failed several easier jumps. If any skater has nice quad(s) but pops/falls on the easier triple jumps, then he still would not score high on the tes.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
A lot of competitors and alternates for the JGP have updated their ISU bios, listing their programs.

Here's what I found

Angelique Abachkina & Louis Thauron FRA
SD Quickstep, Foxtrot, Quickstep; choreo by R. Haguenauer
FD Real in Rio by John Powell; Mas Qu Nada by Jorge Ben; Bird Fight; choreo by R. Haguenauer

Laura Abts & Maarten Buckens BEL
SD Foxtrot: Call Me Irresponsible by Michael Buble, Quickstep: It Don't Mean a Thing (If it Ain't Got That Swing)
FD Falls, River, Asuncion, On Earth As It Is In Heaven, all from "The Mission" soundtrack by Ennio Morricone

Florence Clarke & Tim Dieck GER
SD Slow Fox: Puttin' on the Ritz by Irving Berlin
Quickstep: Puttin' on the Ritz by Irving Berlin; choreo Mark Hanratty & Philipp Askew
FD Moonlight Serenade; choreo Mark Hanratty & Philipp Askew

Lauren Collins & Danny Seymour CAN
SD L-O-V-E performed by Nat King Cole, Peppy and George (from "The Artist" soundtrack) by Ludovic Bource; choreo Kelly Johnson & Anjelika Krylova
FD To Love You More by Davdi Foster, Journey by Michael Montes; choreo Kelly Johnson & Anjelika Krylova

Brianna Delmaestro & Timothy Lum CAN
SD Foxtrot: Something Gotta Give by Sammy Davis jr, Quickstep: Girls, Girls, Girls; choreo by Wing & Lowe
FD Eye Patch by Axel Ruiz, Church Shootout (from "Once Upon a Time in Mexico") by Robert Rodriguez, Siente Mi Amour by Salma Hayek (from "Once Upon a Time in Mexico"), Malaguena by Ernesto Lecuona performed by Brian Setzer; choreo by Wing & Lowe

Cagla Demirsal & Berk Akalin TUR
SD Quickstep: When You Smile by Roberta Flack, Charleston: Kiss by Prince; choreo by Natalia Dubova & Oleg Voiko
FD Russian Folk Music Medley; choreo by Natalia Dubova & Oleg Voiko

Marina Elias & Denis Koreline EST
SD Foxtrot: Capone by Ronan Hardiman, Quickstep: Boyfriend by Lou Bega; choreo by Lea Rand
FD Imma Be by Black Eyed Peas, No Air by Chris Brown, Ghetto Music by Outkast; chore by Lea Rand

Valeria Gaistruk & Alexei Olejnik UKR
SD Quickstep: Boyfriend by Lou Bega, Foxtrot: I Can't Dance by Genesis, Quickstep: Boyfriend by Lou Bega; choreo by Maria Tumanovskaia
FD Magic World of the Ocean (from Cirque du Soleil) by Benoit Jutras and Rene Dupere; choreo by Maria Tumanovskaia

Loreen Geiler & Sven Miersch GER
SD Slow Fox: More by Nat King Cole Quickstep: Don't Forget by Nat King Cole; choreo by Maurizio Margaglio
FD The Shag-Adelic, Evil by They Might Be Giants, Soul Bossa Nova by Quicny Jones and Orchestra (all from "Austin Powers" soundtrack); choreo by Maurizio Margaglio

Kathrin Häuser & Sevan Lerche GER
SD Slowfox: 16 Tons, Quickstep: I Hate Your Boyfriend; choreo Mark Hanratty & Philip Askew
FD L'Opera , Je dors sur les roses, Le bien qui fait mal, all by Mikelangelo Loconte, Claire Perot, Melissa Mars; choreo Mark Hanratty & Philipp Askew

Rebeka Kim & Kirill Minov KOR
SD Quickstep: Show Me How You Burlesque (from "Burlesque" soundtrack), Foxtrot: Speaking of Happiness by Gloria Lynne, Quickstep: Show Me How You Burlesque (from "Burlesque" soundtrack); choreo by Irina Zhuk & Alexander Svinin
FD Scheherazade by Nikolai Rimksi-Korsakov; choreo by Irina Zhuk & Alexander Svinin

Katerina Konickova & Matej Lang CZE
SD Quickstep: Happy Feet by Derek Martin, Foxtrot: Toujours l'amour, Quickstep: Happy Feet by Derek Martin; Maurizio Margaglio, Lucie Kadlcakova
FD Saltimbanco (from Cirque du Soleil); choreo Maurizio Margaglio, Lucie Kadlcakova

Evgenia Kosigina & Nikolai Miroshkin RUS
SD Blues and Swing: Lord of the Dance - Capone by Ronan Hardiman; choreo by Viktor Kanevski
FD Michael Jackson Medley; choreo by Viktor Kanevski

Tatiana Kozmava & Aleksandr Zolotarev GEO
SD Quickstep, Foxtrot, Quickstep; choreo by Igor Lukanin
FD Tango; choreo by Igor Lukanin

Cortney Mansour (KAZ) & Michal Ceska (CZE)
SD Foxtrot: Kiss Me by Brenda Boykin, Quickstep: It Don't Mean A Thing performed by Club des Belugas; choreo by Lane & Razgulajevs
Great Gatsby (soundtrack); choreo by Lane & Razgulajevs

Melinda Meng & Andrew Meng Can
SD Foxtrot: The Pink Panther by Henri Mancini, Quickstep: It Don't Mean a Thing (If it Ain't got that Swing) by Duke Ellington; choreo by Samuel Chouinard, Marie-France Dubreuil
FD Opening Title (from "House of Flying Daggers" soundtrack) by Shigeru Umebayashi, Night Fight (from "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" soundtrack) by Tan Dun, Lovers from "House of Flying Daggers" soundtrack) by Shigeru Umebayashi; choreo by Samuel Chouinard, Marie-France Dubreuil

Caroline Moschen & Adam Lukas HUN
SD Quickstep: Tu Vuo Fa l'Americano by The Puppini Sisters, Foxtrot: Tu Vuo Fa l'Americano by Renato Carsone, Quickstep: Tu Vuo Fa l'Americano by The Puppini Sisters; choreo by Barbara Fusar Poli & Corrado Giordani
FD Don't Stop Till You Get Enough by Michael Jackson, Earth Song by Michael Jackson, Wann Be Startin' Somethin' by Michael Jackson; choreo by Barbara Fusar Poli & Corrado Giordani

Alexandra Nazarova & Maxim Nikitin UKR
SD Quickstep: Man With the Hex performed by The Atomic Fireballs, Foxtrot: Mack the Knife by Kurt Weill Music; choreo by Sergei Petukhov
FD Cabaret by Fred Ebb, John Kander; choreo by Sergei Petukhov

Peroline Ojardais & Pierre Souquet FRA
SD Quickstep: I'm Not Sleepin' by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Slow Fox: Fool For Your Love by Tom Gaebel, Quickstep: I'm Not Sleepin' by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
FD Isolated System by Muse, Unnatural Selection by Muse; choreo by R. Haguenauer

Sarah Marine Rouffanche & Geoffrey Brissaud FRA
SD Quickstep: Show Me How You Burlesque (from "Burlesque" soundtrack) by DJ Masksy and Christina Aguilera, Slow Fox: My Baby Just Cares For Me by Walter Donaldson, Quickstep; choreo by R. Haguenauer
FD West Side Story by Leonard Bernstein; choreo by R. Haguenauer

Ria Schiffner & Julian Salatzki GER
SD Quickstep: It's De-Lovely by Robbie Williams, Slowfox: It's De-Lovely by Robbie Williams; choreo by Maria Tumanovskaia & Lela Kokic
FD Anna Karenina (soundtrack) by Dario Marianelli; choreo by Maria Tumanovskaia & Lela Kokic

Oliva Smart & Joseph Buckland GBR
SD Quickstep: Puttin' On the Ritz by Irving Berlin, Charleston: Bang Bang; choreo by Evgeni Platov & Philip Askew
FD Paso Doble, El Mariachi, Once Upon A Time In Mexico by Robert Rodriguez; choreo by Evgeni Platov & Philip Askew

Christine Smith & Simon Eisenbauer AUT
SD Foxtrot: Keep in Touch, Quickstep: Im schönen Wienerwald; choreo by Jana Huebler
FD Suspicious Minds by Elvis Presley; Way Down by Elvis Presley; choreo by Jana Huebler

Carolane Soucisse & Simon Tanguay CAN
SD Quickstep: Overture (from "Chicago" soundtrack), Foxtrot: Roxie (from "Chicago" soundtrack), Nowadays (from "Chicago" soundtrack); choreo by Marie-France Dubreuil & Pascal Denis
FD Romance of Love - Forbidden Games by Tom Jones, Santa Marta (Rumba Foundation) by Jesse Cook; choreo by Marie-France Dubreuil & Pascal Denis

Leah Steffan & Benjamin Steffan GER
SD Quickstep: Puttn' On the Ritz performed by Miss Kookie, Slow Fox: Summertime , Quickstep: Puttn' On the Ritz performed by Miss Kookie; choreo by Maurizio Margaglio
FD Battle Without Honor or Humanity (from "Kill Bill" soundtrack) by Tomoyasu Hotei, Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) by Lyn Paul, Woo Hoo by The 5.6.7.8.s (from "Kill Bill" soundtrack); chore by Maurizio Margaglio

Beatrice Tomczak & Damian Binkowski POL
SD Quickstep by Andy Williams, Foxtrot: Boom by Andy Williams
FD Oh, Pretty Woman by Roy Orbison, Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers,
Hound Dog by Elvis Presley

Slavyana Tsenova & Egor Zaytsev BUL
SD Foxtrot: Baby, It's Cold Outside, Quickstep: Sailor - Girls, Girls; choreo Nadezhda Hristova & Anna Nikolova
FD Samba, Rhumba, Samba; choreo Nadezhda Hristova & Anna Nikolova

Sarah Vadskjare Grapek & Malcolm Jones DEN
SD Foxtrot: Friendship by Cole Porter, Quickstep: Anything Goes by Cole Porter; choreo by Michelle Marvin
FD Sherlock Holmes (soundtrack) by Hans Zimmer, Stay by Rihanna; choreo by Michelle Marvin

Joanna Zajac & Cezary Zawadski POL
SD Quickstep: Muppets Show by Christopher Beck; choreo by Sebastin Kolasinski
FD Cats by Andrew Lloyd Webber; choreo by Sebastian Kolasinski

Yue Zhao & Chang Liu CHN
SD Quickstep: All I Do Is Dream Of You by Gene Kelly, Foxtrot: Singin' in the Rain by Gene Kelly; choreo by Hongyan Xi
FD Sparkling Diamonds (from "Moulin Rouge" soundtrack), Come What May (from "Moulin Rouge" soundtrack), El Tango Roxanne (from "Moulin Rouge" soundtrack); choreo by Hongyan Xi

Kalina

On the Ice
He does not need to do 4-3t because he’s doing 3a-3t in the second half, with the extra points.

Yes, that's why their base value last season was just slightly different. It's high quality as well, so he receives high GOE. During the 2012 GPF's free skate, Yuzuru's 3A-3T ended up being worth more than Javier's 4S-3T (15.86 / 15.31).
This season he's planning to do spread eagle --> counter --> 3A-3T, so with difficult transitions, if landed cleanly, he doesn't need to worry about doing 'only' two quads.

treeloving

Medalist
I don’t think it’s just conspiracy. Politics IS IMPORTANT in this sport. Otherwise how could PChan win last worlds when he did not deserve to win? Also Akiko should have won NHK last year but she lost to Asada, who had the support of JSF and her strong agency—the same IMG.

Whether Orser is helpful to Hanyu or not? I think Orser’s team is helpful technically, but not artistically. Hanyu’s skating skills and transitions improved after he went to Canada. Now he’s getting close to PChan’s level in SS and TR. You should give credit to Orser and Tracy for this. But artistically I think Orser and DWilson are not as good and creative as the Russian couple who choreographed Hanyu’s 2011-2012 programs. If Orser’s team can’t package Hanyu properly, then I wish Hanyu will have opportunity to work with other choreographers besides Orser’s friends and business partners. I don’t want to see young talent wasted by uncreative programs just because the choreographer is the coach’s friend and business partner.

I totally agree with the bold part, I think this is a thing I don't like about this coaching team; everything must come in package! I think Wilson don't really know Yuzuru style, I wish he has a chance to work with others! Anyway, let's see how his new program turn out!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think Brian Orser is treating both Hanyu and Fernandez with respect and as individuals. What their federations do is another issue. I really wish Orser would work with Chan though. what is Chan thinking???? He needs a real coach; I blame Patrick for him not getting an Olympic gold or medal. years down the road he will realize he is a dunder head. Relying on a dance coach and who knows if he even marries the daughter of the dance coach. How foolish of him; like a hotshot but this is his last chance it would appear to get OGM. There is still time for him to crawl back to Krall. such a talent; he should have been working on that quad sal last year insteaad he struggled with the lutz, axel and quad toe. Fernandez is looking good and so is Hanyu if he skates cleanly I am not sure Tak has it in him to do the quad consistently but really I see the young guns Fernandez and Hanyu as the faves and heck Reynolds could beat Chan; if chan is using four seasons to compete against Evan, Plushy, Fernandez et al he will have to improve it and make sure it is as intricate and difficult as his past performances. Does anyone know are they adding to it to ensure it is Chan worthy as to pcs? With question marks for a lot if Evan is healthy and Hanyu has problems with consistency it could be Evan v. Fernandez and a Japanese skater

Moment

Final Flight
I love this conspiracy talk. So much fun.

Not that I really agree on it though. And I (much) prefer Javier because he looks less contrived.