2013-2014 Programs by Discipline | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2013-2014 Programs by Discipline

ice coverage

Record Breaker
For those to whom the name of Genereux is new (as it was to me last week), he apparently is well-known as a judge and choreographer for both the Canadian and American versions of So You Think You Can Dance. Jean Marc Genereux ‏@JMGenereux also sent a few other tweets last week about working with V/M, such as:

What a great day! Creating choreo for #2010olympicchamps Scott and Tessa #theroadforsochi2014
6:32 PM - 8 Apr 13
https://twitter.com/JMGenereux/status/321435412751056897

@JMGenereux très talentueux!!!! Scott et Tessa,sont sérieux et déterminés! ....et ça #JACHETE
7:07 PM - 8 Apr 13
https://twitter.com/JMGenereux/status/321444174958321664

Davis/White apparently are working not only with Hough, but also (once again) with Elena Grinenko.

@elenagrinenko
@Just1MoreMinPin @derekhough @Meryl_Davis @CharlieaWhite I worked with them this year as well ;) love that job
8:31 PM - 19 Apr 13
https://twitter.com/elenagrinenko/status/325451636115927040

And as previously discussed elsewhere on GS, the Shibutanis already worked with Corky Ballas once again within the last few weeks.
I do not watch DWTS, but my understanding is that Corky Ballas was (was/is???) Hough's teacher and they go way back together. Wonder if their relationship played any role in facilitating the collaboration of Davis/White and Hough? Maybe not, but maybe so.

Reginald

Match Penalty
For her exhibition, Gracie should skate to Fields of Gold next season! It would be so ironic.

Macassar88

Medalist
Also I think that Sinitsina and Zhiganshun will use Die Fledermaus. They did Samson and Delilah, Phantom, and Tango in a row so it makes sense...

Moment

Final Flight
I hope Daisuke Takahashi works with other choreographers because his programs this season pretty much sucked.

Finnstep

Final Flight
It seems like Yuna is in Canada right now:biggrin:

Link to the Korean article:http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=107&oid=003&aid=0005103809

Translations(on few parts of it)

1.Yuna left Korea last week. She already found an ice rink in Canada, so she can train there, too.
2.She will be discussing things like choreography&music selection for next season with Wilson.
3.Yuna is coming back to Korea in May, though they aren't sure when exactly she'll be coming back.
4.She'll be training for Olympics after June, when she'll already have decided on music for next season.
5.It also seems like that Wilson will be choreographing a new gala program for Yuna, which(hopefully) we'll be able to see at 2013 All That Skate Summer(to be held from June 21st to June 23rd).

They've also said that they don't know when they'll be announcing Yuna's music choices-according to vice president of All That Sports, "We're going to consider this. It's an Olympic season, so not many skaters announce their music choices this early."

noskates

Record Breaker
Derek Hough and his sister Julianne went to live with Corky Ballas and his wife when they were young to study dancing. Derek and Mark Ballas are best friends. I think it's incredibly exciting that my two worlds (figure skating and DWTS) are again meeting up!

I still think Benji Schwimmer's choreography for Jeremy Abbott's 2012 SP was one of the best ever.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Derek Hough and his sister Julianne went to live with Corky Ballas and his wife when they were young to study dancing. Derek and Mark Ballas are best friends. I think it's incredibly exciting that my two worlds (figure skating and DWTS) are again meeting up!

noskates, thanks for elaborating on the history between the Ballases and the Houghs. :) Are you also a devotee of SYTYCD? [Maybe I will have reason to pick your brain again later ... ;)]

Were the Shibutanis at DWTS on Mon night with Davis/White?

Alex Shibutani's tweets over the last couple of days have included what seem to be pointed references to his presence in California -- without saying (as far as I know) exactly why Maia and he are there.
(OTOH, a couple of weeks ago, the Shibs tweeted freely about visiting Corky Ballas in Houston.)

(As an aside, I recall that Kristi Yamaguchi originally got the Shibs together with C. Ballas. I see that she posed for photos with D/W at DWTS ... so maybe she was another middleman who matched them up with D. Hough?? So many interconnections.)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
noskates, thanks for elaborating on the history between the Ballases and the Houghs. :) Are you also a devotee of SYTYCD? [Maybe I will have reason to pick your brain again later ... ;)]

Alex Shibutani's tweets over the last couple of days have included what seem to be pointed references to his presence in California -- without saying (as far as I know) exactly why Maia and he are there.
(OTOH, a couple of weeks ago, the Shibs tweeted freely about visiting Corky Ballas in Houston.)

(As an aside, I recall that Kristi Yamaguchi originally got the Shibs together with C. Ballas. I see that she posed for photos with D/W at DWTS ... so maybe she was another middleman who matched them up with D. Hough?? So many interconnections.)

I didn't see the Shibs on TV, but of course that doesn't mean anything...

LRK

Record Breaker
Well, I linked to this article in the Injuries & Other Ills thread, but it is relevant here too:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130419&content_id=45216452&vkey=ice_news

About Yrétha Silété:

"For next season, she intends to keep the two programs she was preparing for when she injured herself.

"I really love them both, so we will keep polishing them!" she said laughingly. "I will have had two years to work on them!" "

This may have been mentioned already in the thread? - but the article mentions that Brian Joubert means to keep his long & change his short.

About Pechalat/Bourzat:

""We are skating all day long now," Bourzat explained. "We have one week to create our two programs, and that should work."

The duo has elected to create their programs with their longtime choreographer, Laurie May, and renowned comedian and clown Julien Cottereau, with whom they created their "Circus" and "Charlie Chaplin" routines.

"For us, this is the best time of the season," both Péchalat and Bourzat emphasized. "We love creating new programs, building new characters, devising a storyline."

"We should announce our programs at the end of June," Péchalat said. "Right after we come back from our gala tour in Switzerland, Japan and China." "

Bea

On the Ice
Some more news from IN:
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130422&content_id=45488822&vkey=ice_news

About Donlan and Speroff:
"1980 Olympian Sheryl Franks has choreographed Donlan and Speroff's programs for the coming season. Their short program will be to "Meditation" from Thaïs, and they'll be skating to the pas de deux from The Nutcracker for their free skate.
"We wanted to do what we do well," Speroff said. "Last year, we tried too hard."
"We want to polish more than last year," Donlan said. "Last year, we were so concentrated on training that we didn't spend as much time on the small details. Andrew and I will capitalize on our strengths, holding our line, making sure every extension is full and big."
Speroff did mention that all of the lifts and throws in the free skate will be in the second half. "

And about Stephen Carriere:
"Carriere revealed that Tanith Belbin has choreographed his new short program and that David Wilson did the free skate. He declined to say what his music is, but said he plans to compete at Liberty and as many summer competitions as he can."

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Just realized that the Shibs are likely in LA for the Olympic Media summit -- i.e. fun photo and video in wintery backgrounds....

RABID

Final Flight
It seems like Yuna is in Canada right now:biggrin:

1.Yuna left Korea last week. She already found an ice rink in Canada, so she can train there, too.
2.She will be discussing things like choreography&music selection for next season with Wilson.
3.Yuna is coming back to Korea in May, though they aren't sure when exactly she'll be coming back.
4.She'll be training for Olympics after June, when she'll already have decided on music for next season.
5.It also seems like that Wilson will be choreographing a new gala program for Yuna, which(hopefully) we'll be able to see at 2013 All That Skate Summer(to be held from June 21st to June 23rd).

They've also said that they don't know when they'll be announcing Yuna's music choices-according to vice president of All That Sports, "We're going to consider this. It's an Olympic season, so not many skaters announce their music choices this early."

Hello folks, I have been lurking since the latest Worlds. Wouldn't be able to hold up my end of any conversation regarding the technical and historical elements of FS but I do enjoy reading those who can and do. However I have always enjoyed watching FS during the Olympics, specifically the ladies and have been doing so for about 40 years now. Have to admit, Yuna has given me the urge to go deeper. Hence I am here. This particular topic has me intrigued and so I thought I would add my own contribution if you all don't mind. I understand there are limitations to what music is allowed and what is compatible for any given skate but I think it would be very intriguing if Yuna could skate to the accompanying music in the final scene of Peter Weir's 1993 film, Fearless. The music for this scene is from Henryk Gorecki's Symphony #3 (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs). I think it would be a challenge for any skater but as final act in Yuna's competitive career it could be groundbreaking (if I do say so myself). The music is kind of counter intuitive to the normal beats I assume skaters look for and any choreography would be more of a juxtaposition to it. The music in that scene however is heart-wrenching and if any skater could do it it would be Yuna. I could give the Youtube video URL but since this is my first post I am not allowed to (I already tried and got banned). Thanks everyone. Looking forward to all the great conversations and debates.

LRK

Record Breaker

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Just realized that the Shibs are likely in LA for the Olympic Media summit -- i.e. fun photo and video in wintery backgrounds....

I hope that you are correct, Mrs. P. I was aware that Davis/White were attending the media summit. But I did not assume that the Shibutanis were too. If the Shibs are invited to it, then are Chock/Bates included too? Hubbell/Donohue? etc., etc.

I have seen unofficial photos of D/W with Nagasu and Rippon over the last couple of days ... but I was guessing that they all were taking advantage of their proximity to socialize together on their own time. (Am I correct that Rippon and Nagasu live and train in southern California?)

Of the skaters mentioned in this post, only D/W are virtually certain to qualify for Sochi. Wonder what the criteria are for attending the media summit.
Does NBC choose the participants? Or is it the USOC?
KKonas, if you are reading this thread, can you shed light?

Is it possible that Nagasu and Rippon were invited too? If so, again the mind then quickly wonders which other Sochi hopefuls were deemed worthy.

(I see now from USFS tweets today that Gold also is there ... so I guess whoever is in charge of choosing the athletes is casting a wide net. Not saying that she is an extremely long shot, but like the others, she is hardly a slam dunk on the level of D/W.)