2013-2014 Programs by Discipline | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2013-2014 Programs by Discipline

zschultz1986

Final Flight
So, this is gonna come out of left field... but after watching Javier, am I crazy to think that he could pull off "One Jump" from Aladdin as a Short Program? I mean I swear its right up his alley. (I suppose he could do an Exhibition to it, since it may not be well recieved by the judges as a Short, but I think it's totally suitable as a stand alone Short: fast-paced, tells a little vignette.... and its called One Jump, for crying out loud!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Aladdin worked fairly well for Ilia Kulik (second place to Todd Eldredge and ahead of Rudy Galindo in third at the 1996 Worlds). Or you could say that it worked poorly, since he didn't beat Todd.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
He did when he was in Intermediate or Novice.

No way! Is there any documentation of this on the internet? I was watching Joubert's Lord of the Dance program the other day and was thinking what great music it is to skate to, and Jason is very dancey so I think he could pull it off well, his posture is so upright, almost like an ice dancer.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If you have IN, it is probably there. However, none of these sound like Riverdance. Perhaps it was a gala program?

2009 Season Notes
SP Music: "Money" by Pink Floyd
FS Music: Music from Russian cinema performed by the Moscow Symphony Orchestra

Captured the novice bronze medal at the U.S. Championships

2008 Season Notes
FS Music: "Storm" by Vivaldi

Took the intermediate silver medal at the U.S. Junior Championships

2007 Season Notes
Won the juvenile title at the U.S. Junior Championships

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd like someone to reprise the Lincoln music Brian Boitano did in 1994. It's been long enough that it would be "fresh" to most audiences, and sadly, Brian never skated that program well enough for it to become iconic.

The music was beautiful... soft and thoughtful at one moment... dramatic swells in another...

Edit: On second thought, it is subtle and straightforward, so it probably wouldn't lend itself to the wild arm-flapping (like an ostrich trying to take flight) that we see today in an attempt to rack up PCS.

Kinga

Medalist
I don't get this influx of Russian classical music just because it is in Sochi. It is far too obvious for my taste and shows lack of creativity or risk taking.

Does it mean just because the Olympic is in US, skaters should adopt country/jazz/blues music or Gershwin or John Williams? Olympic in Japan, lets all do memoir of a geisha or Hisashi? etc etc.

But the fact is that this is what skaters tend to do. I think it makes them feel that they will get a good response from the audience (and the judges... it seems like they dont mind the overused pieces!).

I would love a pair - e.g. S/S or V/T to skate to the Game of Thrones soundtrack.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Artur Gachinski's new long program is to the "Anna Karenina" OST. He posted two forty-second clips on his vk - the beginning and the end, I think. It looks very lyrical and lovely already.

This is a tumblr post with the videos embedded in it

I'm kinda hoping he goes kickass with his SP. I really liked Pink Floyd, but the one I loved best was St Louis Blues.

For Jason, I'd love to see him keep Liebestraume. If there was an LP I could happily watch for the next five seasons, that is it. Maybe rein in Rohene a little this season and not quite go so out-there for his SP...Prince was a bit much and I don't think the judges really liked it, but sassy, cheeky and playful Jason is definitely something I'd like to see again.

(For that matter, playful Josh would be something great, too!)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Agree St. Louis Blue's was really great for Gatchinski, that's the one program I really appreciated his skating in, everything else I've felt he gets packaged as a jumper skating to background music, but he was so good at the blues! He should really go for something bluesy again...maybe Harlem Nocturne?

I actually think Roehene's upbeat, edgy programs are more impressive. Jason's Liebestraume was nice, but I felt the choreo was a bit generic (of course the :eek: flexibility in the spins but Jason's own stamp on it), like any choreographer could have come up with that program. Jason is such a unique skater so I think he should skate to unique music that isn't overused and sleep-inducing. I liked the idea of using Prince but not the program, think he could do a great Beatles program though, or maybe something edgy like Led Zeppelin! That would be :yay: .

Josh needs to be careful about his music selections this coming season. He's done classical for both programs for the past few seasons now and I think he's maybe boxing himself in and making it easy for people to assign the "boring, generic" label to him. Upbeat could be a great thing, but he should avoid trite or tired pieces. In many ways Farris reminds me of Brezina circa 2010 and I don't think Putting on the Ritz and An American in Paris did much to showcase Brezina personally, and similarly put him into a kind of "young kid with nice jumps and good basics but not much else" category.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Agree St. Louis Blue's was really great for Gatchinski, that's the one program I really appreciated his skating in, everything else I've felt he gets packaged as a jumper skating to background music, but he was so good at the blues! He should really go for something bluesy again...maybe Harlem Nocturne?

I actually think Roehene's upbeat, edgy programs are more impressive. Jason's Liebestraume was nice, but I felt the choreo was a bit generic (of course the :eek: flexibility in the spins but Jason's own stamp on it), like any choreographer could have come up with that program. Jason is such a unique skater so I think he should skate to unique music that isn't overused and sleep-inducing. I liked the idea of using Prince but not the program, think he could do a great Beatles program though, or maybe something edgy like Led Zeppelin! That would be :yay: .

Josh needs to be careful about his music selections this coming season. He's done classical for both programs for the past few seasons now and I think he's maybe boxing himself in and making it easy for people to assign the "boring, generic" label to him. Upbeat could be a great thing, but he should avoid trite or tired pieces. In many ways Farris reminds me of Brezina circa 2010 and I don't think Putting on the Ritz and An American in Paris did much to showcase Brezina personally, and similarly put him into a kind of "young kid with nice jumps and good basics but not much else" category.

Actually IIRC correctly, plenty of people loved Brezina's programs in 2010, in particular his American in Paris program. I know I did. In fact I haven't really liked his programs much since then, though I sort of liked his FS this year.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I think he pull off something with a cool hippy vibe. Like "California Dreamin'." It would be different, and in a good way.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Actually IIRC correctly, plenty of people loved Brezina's programs in 2010, in particular his American in Paris program. I know I did. In fact I haven't really liked his programs much since then, though I sort of liked his FS this year.

I liked the American in Paris program (for the first season anyways) but it really did package him as a cute young nondescript boy with nice jumps, there wasn't really much substance to it. At Nationals, during the warmup and when Josh was skating the comments were all like...he's a young fresh face, he has a youthful vibe, gorgeous jumps, great technique, wide-eyed teenager...it was all just a bit, okay, is there anything else to say besides that he's young and has nice jumps? And right now maybe there isn't a whole lot else, but I see the potential there, even in his exhibition pieces, he shows a lot more emotion and his fluidity and line can be better appreciated, but that's lost a little bit in the competition when he's skating to stuff like Rachmaninoff or Bach that everyone has heard before, plus the sweatshirt tops he seems so fond of distort his arm line a bit. Even the British Eurosport guys at JW were raving about his technical mark and then said...can you imagine when the presentation gets to that level too? Meaning they don't think it's there yet. And it isn't quite but I think it could be more apparent than it is with some of his recent programs. Part of why I think people are so drawn to Jason Brown's skating and rave about his artistry is that he's different and skates to a lot of stuff that hasn't been used before, chooses costumes that stand out, and fully commits to his choreography, which is modern and different and grabs people's attention - at least for the most part, Liebestraume was an exception to this impression IMO and that's why I'd like to see him get a new program.

sigrid

On the Ice
Adam Rippon has posted in his Twitter that his new LP is "The afternoon of a Faun" by Debussy, choreographed by Tom Dickson. He'll skate it next week in the Gardenia Trophy.

And I totally agree with the person who said that someone should skate Two steps from hell music. Archangel is one of my fave pieces ever and I think I've just seen it used in Rhythmic gymnastics, we need it in figure skating as well.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Adam Rippon has posted in his Twitter that his new LP is "The afternoon of a Faun" by Debussy, choreographed by Tom Dickson. He'll skate it next week in the Gardenia Trophy.
Hmm... Interesting! Not a lot of skaters skate their new programs a season before all of the others... Afternoon of a Faun is a great choice for him, though... :yes:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My memory is fading... Afternoon of a Faun... Janet Lynn? John Curry? Both? Neither?:laugh:

I don't recall seeing this music used for quite some time... perhaps that's why the memory is fuzzy.

Edit: YouTube to the rescue! Janet Lynn 1970 long program and 1971 exhibition. John Curry exhibition in an avante-garde dance piece.

More recently: Yuka Sato 2000 Professional competitive program.

lucio48

Spectator
Davis-White : "good bye lenin ", "fire birds stravinsky "
Brian Joubert : short "yallah, yallah " (calogero) free: "michael nyman the draughtsman's contract"
Virtue Moir : free "Yo-Yo Ma - Bach, Cello Suites", "Moonlight - Electric Cello (Inspired by Beethoven) - ThePianoGuys"
Aliona SAVCHENKO Robin SZOLKOWy: i think they must propose again "Mission" Ennio Morricone
Pechalat Bourzat : "district 9 " soundtrack
Patrick chan: "Lawrence d'arabia"