2013-2014 Programs by Discipline | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2013-2014 Programs by Discipline

yuki

Final Flight
(Sorry if this has already been posted!)

Li Zijun:

SP: "Tango Lorca" (Choreographed by Lori Nichol).
FS: "Coppélia" by Leo Delibes (Choreographed by Lori Nichol).

The name of the tango that she's skating to is Danzarin (by, I assume, Tango Lorca) and it was indeed the music for Mirai's SP in the 2011-2012 season.

russell30

Final Flight
The name of the tango that she's skating to is Danzarin (by, I assume, Tango Lorca) and it was indeed the music for Mirai's SP in the 2011-2012 season.

I feel sorry for these skaters, they pay a lot for choreography only to get recycled old programs or the SAME music used by other skaters, I would certainly not like it myself and put my foot down to them and SAY NO I want something original PLEASE!! that I can aspire too.

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
Tango SP from Artistry on Ice: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTY5NTM2ODg0.html

It was hard to see but I liked what I saw! I think the music choice is very smart as it is a more lyrical arrangement yet still has a distinct tango character. Obviously a WIP but there's some actual choreography in there and I see a marked improvement in her upper body usage. This program has got great potential!

I really like it also. Looks great!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I feel sorry for these skaters, they pay a lot for choreography only to get recycled old programs or the SAME music used by other skaters, I would certainly not like it myself and put my foot down to them and SAY NO I want something original PLEASE!! that I can aspire too.
I agree, Lori is really becoming the "recycling queen"... :disapp: SOMETHING NEW PLEASE!!!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And people wondered why I was so upset when I found out that Max Aaron was using Lori Nichol!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
And people wondered why I was so upset when I found out that Max Aaron was using Lori Nichol!
Well, maybe I didn't express my feelings well: I like Lori's style and I love most of the programs she creates (Caro's, for example ;) ), but I don't like the fact that she tends to use again and again the same themes and sometimes even the same musics...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well, maybe I didn't express my feelings well: I like Lori's style and I love most of the programs she creates (Caro's, for example ;) ), but I don't like the fact that she tends to use again and again the same themes and sometimes even the same musics...

Which is precisely my concern. I don't want to see Max given something recycled from another skater. Max's style is unique. He's not going to suit something made for any other skater.

cornell08

Final Flight
I wish she used Sound of Music as her LP instead. It isn't hard to find an instrumental version of The Lonely Goatherd and add 30~40 seconds of another Sound of Music piece, is it?

ITA!

I love the placement of the split jump and ina bauer too, perfectly timed with the music. Wish she would've used "Something Good" instead of Lonely Goatherd for the extended segment though..

Way more excited about this than Coppelia. When you've conquered Sleeping Beauty you don't step down to Coppelia :sarcasm: Its not even that Lori has done this program in the recent past-- I just am not a fan of Coppelia for senior ladies who've already made their debut.

icellist

On the Ice
I hate the tango for Zijun, and this is coming from a fan of hers from 2010. Her best programs were definitely 2011-2012. Her Sleeping Beauty was good, so I'm hoping for a good Coppelia. Gosh, I'm going to rewatch her scenes of summer now

vlaurend

Final Flight
Why is everyone hating on Lori Nichol? It's not like she picks everyone's music and the coaches and skaters have no say in it. Besides, there's a history of well-used music winning Olympic gold medals, so if we aren't seeing a lot of unique choices for the 2013-14 season, it should come as no surprise.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Yes, it's the fault of the rules and skating culture that originality is a high risk, low reward proposition. Part of the PCS score is supposed to reward originality, but like almost all the criteria for the PCS, judges ignore it. A strongly worded memo from the ISU could fix all that, but it's not going to happen.

Lori Nichol choreographs probably hundreds of programs every season, and most of them for skaters who barely have any aptitude for dance. At this point, she must be as numb to the process as we are to the results. Still, she does manage to occasionally surprise and delight me. A few seasons ago, Nichol picked "I Vow to Thee, My Country" for Mao Asada. Now who would've thought that it'd be a good idea for a female Japanese skater to skate to a boy soprano singing a patriotic British hymn? Nichol did, and it was magic.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Zijun's program looks pretty good, but it's not show-stopping. It's still obviously in the works; my main concern from watching the video is that her smiley, cutesy style doesn't exactly fit the tango music -- she could still be skating to Sleeping Beauty. Hopefully, Zijun can and will channel her inner Yuna at competition.

LeCygne

Final Flight
I wish she used Sound of Music as her LP instead. It isn't hard to find an instrumental version of The Lonely Goatherd and add 30~40 seconds of another Sound of Music piece, is it?

I agree too! Sound of Music suits her style perfectly. And the majority of it is instrumental already anyway. If she could perform like that in a Sound of Music competitive LP, it would be golden (not literally, but still).

The way it is now, her programs for next year are a lot like her programs this past season: fiery short and balletic long. :eek:hwell:

shine

Record Breaker
I hate the tango for Zijun, and this is coming from a fan of hers from 2010. Her best programs were definitely 2011-2012. Her Sleeping Beauty was good, so I'm hoping for a good Coppelia. Gosh, I'm going to rewatch her scenes of summer now

Excepct that program which David Wilson allegedly choreographed wasn't much of a program at all...

Zijun's program looks pretty good, but it's not show-stopping. It's still obviously in the works; my main concern from watching the video is that her smiley, cutesy style doesn't exactly fit the tango music -- she could still be skating to Sleeping Beauty. Hopefully, Zijun can and will channel her inner Yuna at competition.
Wait, you can see that she's smiling and being cutesy in that fan cam video?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
We'll get to see Jason's new Riverdance program at the Broadmoor Open on June 29, sans all triples because he doesn't have the stamina yet.

figureskate

On the Ice

On the contrary, from what I see from that vid, it is a light and playful tango and the music well underlines the intricacy of her steps. However, we will need to see the competitive version of it and possibly filmed with a better camera for judging it