2013-2014 Programs by Discipline | Page 39 | Golden Skate

2013-2014 Programs by Discipline

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
I went over the list from page 1, and to my surprise not that many skaters have chosen something Russian or Russian-themed. Compared to a non-Olympic season it seems about average.

Popular this season is something more Spanish or Latin-themed. Carmen seems popular (as always).

Lés Miserables is also a hit this season.

I just remember at the 2006 Winter Olympics, quite a lot of the eventuel medalists skated to something Italian-composed. Of course, a lot the top-skaters have yet to announce their program music.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Even for Vancouver you had those country themes because the United States was right next to Canada! LOL? But few are doing Russian composers.

zydeco88

On the Ice
Jason Brown's "Riverdance" LP at Glacier Falls Summer Classic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU8144f_01I

He won the event with a total score of 242.29. You can see the senior men's final result here and breakdown of the free skate scores (a bit fuzzy, but it's better than nothing).

Keegan Messing's "The Mask of Zorro" LP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzDiaDWeEB4

Karen Chen's LP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn9_1rr-IdY

Satoko Miyahara's "Poeta" LP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNOlQ5kxHwg

LeCygne

Final Flight
This is probably a dumb question, but I'm not a skater so I've always wondered how skaters learn and remember their choreo after first getting their programs choreographed. Is it written down/recorded/documented somehow? Often these early season showings seem a little empty or incomplete in places, so how is it that skaters fill in these gaps on their own after spending just a week or so with their choreographers? I know many skaters will go back for more sessions and fine-tuning throughout the season, but what do they initially take home?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Karen Chen updated her bio on IN

SP Esperanza by Maxime Rodriguez; choreo Cindy Stuart (SP),
LP Selections from the Miss Saigon soundtrack by Claude-Michel Schonberg; choreo Mark Pillay (FS)

roma

On the Ice
Just saw these on my twitter and FB feeds:

Carolina Kostner
Cari amici, ho scelto le musiche dei miei due nuovi programmi!

Programma corto: "Humoresque" di A. Dvorak
Programma lungo: "Scheherazade" di N.Rimsky-Korsakov

@sport_folio: Carolina Kostner's new programs are: Humoresque by A. Dvorak (SP) and Scheherazade by N.Rimsky-Korsakov (FS)

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
Although scheherazade seems like a very risky move as it's been done countless times, i trust that Lori Nichols always gives her best work for Carolina and that it will probably be amazing.

The short music sounds unusual imo and my first instinct is "omg this sounds terrible" but then i remember saying similar things when i first listened to her 2011-2012 sp "Allegretto from Trio No. 2" and we all know that turned out amazing

Willemijn

Rinkside
Humoresque is far from unusual.
That depends on the one Carolina has chosen. If it will be the seventh one, than the music is pretty overused indeed. But as sk8tingcoach suggested before, maybe it will be an unusual program on usual music.

shine

Record Breaker
I like what I'm seeing from Satoko!

I love this girl! The maturity and interpretation are far beyond her age, and she's so musical :love: I don't think it's a coincidence that she shares the same coach as one of the most beautiful and musical skaters ever, Yukina Ota.

I little surprised at Carolina's music choices as they are both such familiar tunes. But I trust that she'll continue bringing something new to the ice every year :)

mateusp1

On the Ice
I have sent a message to Caro, giving her suggestion of 2 very nice songs for her new programs. Since Caro does not have a public twitter or facebook, it was very hard, for me, to send her the suggestions. I even think that she has not seen the messages I sent.

I would like to read your opinions about the songs I suggested.

SP: Shooting Stars(Instrumental Version) by Bag Raiders(my favorite band ever!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2GVaKUTyQ0

LP: Cookie Breath by Nathan W. McKee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP-M4eVg8LQ

The two songs are very "Carolina". And I do not see another skater who could skate to them.

So, what do you think?

Hugs from Brazil!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Since Caro does not have a public twitter or facebook ...

Not sure if you are aware of Kostner's official Twitter and Facebook accounts?

Some of the entries there are written in the first person: e.g., 'I have revealed my music ..."; "I would like to tell you ..."; etc.
Others make no pretense of being from the skater herself, and clearly are from Team Kostner in general.
But if you want to leave no stone unturned in attempting to get your message into her own hands, I would not leap to the conclusion that these are black holes of no use.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Virtue/Moir

SD:
The program features selections from Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald, kicking off with "Dream a Little Dream."
"The second part is 'Muskrat Ramble,' which has a jazzy sound," Moir said. "The third piece is the well-known 'Dancing Cheek to Cheek.' We worked with (French-Canadian ballroom dance champion) Jean-Marc Généreux, who we first met 10 years ago."
Zoueva's concept is ballroom but wth a twist.
"Tessa and Scott are taking a more jazzy [approach] to the quickstep and foxtrot," she said.

FD:
Virtue and Moir will perform their free dance to selections from two turn-of-the-20th-century Russian composers, Alexander Glazunov and Alexander Scriabin.
"The free dance was a longer process [than the short dance] because the music was specially arranged for us," Moir said. "We're using music from Glazunov's ballet Seasons and Scriabin's 'Piano Concerto in F-sharp minor.'"
Dancer Sergei Volodin helped create new lifts, and Ontario dance instructor and choreographer Jennifer Swan assisted with movement. Zoueva picked the music and oversaw the work.
"The program is about the man-woman relationship and how it changes throughout the seasons of life," Zoueva said. "The music is not unusual, but I cannot remember ever seeing it used for a free dance, although it is dance music including a waltz.

Source:
Secret's out: Virtue, Moir disclose program music
Olympic champions to jazz it up in short, go classical route in free
By Klaus-Reinhold Kany and Lynn Rutherford, special to icenetwork.com
(08/05/2013)
http://www.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130805&content_id=55949358&vkey=ice_news

The IN article has bits of other news.
- Virtue: "we have five new lifts and other new elements in our programs."
- Per Zoueva, Finlandia likely will be V/M's first international competition. (As marikat previously reported in the V/M fan thread, they will skate their SD on Sat Aug 10 at the Quebec summer championships.)
- "Virtue -- who had operations in 2008 and 2010 to correct compartmental exertion syndrome in her legs -- emphasized that full-time training has not been a problem for her."
- Virtue says they don't know whether they will retire after Sochi. [:yay:]
- Zoueva will not reveal Davis/White's music until Champs Camp, but the article quotes Z: "Meryl and Charlie's short dance will be quick, designed to show flow and speed," Zoueva said. "The difference is day and night. The couples are super different."​

TheCzar

On the Ice
I like what I'm seeing from Satoko!

Say what you will about Miyahara's micro jumps- but in one summer, the improvements in her skating have gone from strength to strength. THIS is what we mean by artistic maturity- NOT whatever it is Zoueva is forcing down Gracie's throat. and let's note that she is YOUNGER too. Any young skater who can bring out the artistry in Poeta is one I would root for. She can be a little bit faster, and yes the jumps bigger- but she looks like she's grown a bit and that opening flip looked good. Keep up the good work Team Miyahara!