2013-2014 Programs by Discipline | Page 46 | Golden Skate

2013-2014 Programs by Discipline

tulosai

Record Breaker
You can tell that Tukt has belly fat? I'm sorry, but I don't see it. She looks perfectly fit to me; she's short and has very muscular legs, which make her look undeniably broader. And that's fine. Not every skater can be the reedy, long-legged type. Just look at Harding versus Baiul, or Ito versus Kerrigan. Or, to use a gymnastics example, Nastia Liukin versus Shawn Johnson.

There's a BIG difference between losing weight and getting into shape. You can eat less to lose weight, but getting in shape requires a lot more intensive resistance training (and more carb and protein-based calories in the diet). Returning elite skaters have to get back in shape, and they do so by regaining muscle mass, which weighs more than fat anyway. The point here is that until Tukt decides to publicize her weight, we can't simply "assume" that she needs to lose ten or twenty pounds in order to be a better skater.

THIS. Tukt has no problem jumping. She is perfectly fit as a skater. While she did briefly have some jump issues, I think it's certain they were puberty, not weight, related. ciocio I think you should be honest and admit that what you mean is that Tukt and Flatt's body types aren't aesthetically pleasing to you. Flatt had no problem jumping during her career either (at least till around 2011) and she had the same body type throughout most of that time. Tukt's body is fine for skating. She will never be a baby ballerina like Cohen but she can turn triple triples. She could use better artistry and ice coverage but the first is wholly unrelated to what 'shape' she is in.

Icey

Record Breaker
OT Refresh my memory: In an Olympic year, do most skaters have a costume for the Olympics only. I hope so.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kaetlyn skated at Wild Rose last summer and skated well, landing her jumps. Of course, she was slated for Nebelhorn in September and had to be in competition shape. If she's not doing any "B" comps in September, she might be a month behind in her training and just isn't in competition shape right now.

I'd still like to see her wear more flattering costumes. I don't get the white for Cleopatra at all. White does nothing for her---she looks best in brighter colors. And please, no open backs! That is not a flattering look for her.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
OT Refresh my memory: In an Olympic year, do most skaters have a costume for the Olympics only. I hope so.

I don't think so. The only ladies' skaters I can think of who debuted a new costume (free skate) for the Olympics were Sasha Cohen, Shizuka Arakawa, and Miki Ando (who had a different dress in every competition she entered for the 2009-2010 season).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Kaetlyn skated at Wild Rose last summer and skated well, landing her jumps. Of course, she was slated for Nebelhorn in September and had to be in competition shape. If she's not doing any "B" comps in September, she might be a month behind in her training and just isn't in competition shape right now.

I'd still like to see her wear more flattering costumes. I don't get the white for Cleopatra at all. White does nothing for her---she looks best in brighter colors. And please, no open backs! That is not a flattering look for her.

It was common for people to wear white in Ancient Egypt: http://ancientegyptonline.co.uk/clothing.html

Also if you look at photos of people playing Cleopatra in plays and movies they're wearing white.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In ancient Egypt, people wore white, but it was LINEN, a soft, drapy material and not shiny like Kaetlyn's costume. Hollywood, of course, ignored that and dressed the ladies in satin and polyester.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
In ancient Egypt, people wore white, but it was LINEN, a soft, drapy material and not shiny like Kaetlyn's costume. Hollywood, of course, ignored that and dressed the ladies in satin and polyester.

But have skating costumes ever been made with linen? Figure skating costumes have always been shiny by nature....Anyway...maybe we should take this to a costume thread.

jennyanydots

On the Ice

I saw the free skate live and she was awesome. Small jumps of course but she rotates so fast. Also very cute in person.
Tatsuki Machida also did well landing 4T-3T and 3A-2T combos. Looks like he's keeping his Firebird program, which is great because I love it.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
I didn't watch the full video, as the way the ice tilted in it made me feel seasick - but it did seem to me that the video was... wider? widening?... somehow? I think we should wait and see until we see a more "proper" video to make any judgements on the issue at all.

I think the video is distorted too. There was another video showing her at a dress fitting and she looked pretty much the same as last season. I'm actually ok with the dress theme wise, compared to some horrendous Egyptian themed dresses that have been put out there. Yeah, the cut and color doesn't flatter her body but I'm not sure of what actually would. She has a thick torso kind of like Elizaveta which may make her look unfit, but in reality it's probably almost pure muscle.

zydeco88

On the Ice
Looks like he's keeping his Firebird program, which is great because I love it.
He has confirmed it himself that he's carrying over the 'Firebird' LP to the Olympic season in an article published on July 25 by Osaka Nichinichi Shimbun, his hometown's local paper, under the 'Serialization and Featured Articles' section.
http://www.nnn.co.jp/dainichi/rensai/skate/130725/20130725048.html

I'm cross-posting this from the 'Asian Open Trophy Thailand' thread.
Just an excerpt of the whole article, it reads:

Last season while I was able to portray the image of a Firebird flapping its wings at the GP series events, it all came crumbling down at the Japanese Nats. Firebird is a god of resurrection and samsara. This season, I wish to reinvent this program and go with the theme of "resurrection".

Firebird symbolizes consecrated fire.
I talked things out with Phillip Mills and brushed it up to make the soaring image more vivid. I want to create a new Firebird. I intend to put out something worth seeing and befitting of an Olympic season.

Misha Ge's LP music identification:

Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Op.43 by Sergei Rachmaninoff, which consists of the following variations: 1 (Precedente), 12, 13, 14, 18 (Andante cantabile), 22, and 24.

Macassar88

Medalist

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Oh, how quickly people are to jump on Osmond. And really, going after her weight/shape?

She clearly had a bad competition, but the season hasn't even started yet. There are plenty of skaters last season who had terrible pre-season or early season jitters. The point is, her program is pleasant to watch (I agree about less Egyptian hands in her FS). Commenting on her weight and calling her bloated is just pathetic. :disapp:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Oh, how quickly people are to jump on Osmond. And really, going after her weight/shape?

She clearly had a bad competition, but the season hasn't even started yet. There are plenty of skaters last season who had terrible pre-season or early season jitters. The point is, her program is pleasant to watch (I agree about less Egyptian hands in her FS). Commenting on her weight and calling her bloated is just pathetic. :disapp:

Perhaps this is the first time when I agree with you? ;)

thinspread

On the Ice
To me she looks about the same as last year physique wise. It's Olympic season for everybody so she will show up in a better form by GPs. Her programs are fine. Her SP looks like a sequel to last year's though.