2013-2014 Programs by Discipline | Page 55 | Golden Skate

2013-2014 Programs by Discipline

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The IN article mentioned that Davis and White aren't going to reveal their music until after Champs Camp. Why does the beginning of this thread say they're skating to Schehrezade for their FD? I'm assuming it's based on rumors?

It was reported in Doppio Axel, the well known Italian figure skating site. It may not be true. One can never make assumptions about US skaters until after Champs camp, because sometimes the federation will shoot down a program. ....

Because Doppio Axel is a generally reliable source, we left Scheherazade listed, but we won't really know until after Champs Camp in any case.

The hint that @CharlieaWhite tweeted yesterday -- "I can say we'll be showing how to get to Sesame Street" -- suggests that the report of Scheherazade for Davis/White's FD could very well be correct.

The iconic Sesame Street song's lyrics include: "It's a magic carpet ride" :yes: :think:.

FSGMT

Record Breaker

phaeljones

On the Ice
Let's give it some time. The program is for the freakin' Olympics and I think he will find a way. I don't think he will water down the technical content, but he has a lot of time to tweak the program here and there to improve the chance for a clean skate. Besides, it's still summer and I don't expect him to be super sharp. As it looks now, the program asks for a great amount of stamina, so he needs to work on that too.

This is very true (except that I agree with Karne about whether it is within his psyche to tweak any skate to make it clean). He may be able to put this together and win with it in time. He is a great skater and he does amazing stuff. What I am wondering however, is whether he really peaked two years ago and basically this program is just another cold calculation of how to hold on. That is what it looks like to me. There is nothing wrong with holding on. He is a skater of the highest level and he wins (putting aside whether he should be getting the scores he is receiving). For me, though, it just isn't that much fun to watch, and (IMO) at least a couple of other skaters are surpassing (ie have surpassed) him. I find this feeling of pre-fabrication and lack of creativity in his skating makes him less interesting (more tedious) to watch and, although this program and its nature was not a surprise, I wish that he gone in a different direction.

I have to say that I am one of the cynical ones about his always bringing up this as a tribute to Colson. I have to think that Chan has said so many things in the press (like his comments about Oda, Ten, WTT, Skate Canada) that are un-Colson-like, that, whatever connection there was to that great man, this skater - as great a skater as he is - is just playing everyone in that regard. Let the program speak for itself. I think that is what Colson would have said.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chan landed a 4t+2t, stepped out of the second quad, and did a 2a. Most of the rest of the jumps were doubles. I've seen Chan skate as early as mid July, landing most of his jumps. This FS was technically underwhelming and I would hope that Skate Canada leans on him to get himself to a technical coach ASAP. ISU judges won't give him 264 for that FS.

hanca

Record Breaker
Chan landed a 4t+2t, stepped out of the second quad, and did a 2a. Most of the rest of the jumps were doubles. I've seen Chan skate as early as mid July, landing most of his jumps. This FS was technically underwhelming and I would hope that Skate Canada leans on him to get himself to a technical coach ASAP. ISU judges won't give him 264 for that FS.

Unfortunately they will... :slink:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't know why everyone thinks he needs a jump coach. He peaked when he needed to last year without one. He is no more or less consistent now than he has been in the past.

BlackPack

Medalist
Don't know if this has been posted yet. Bobrova & Soloviev's new FD. Reminiscent of their White Nights FD. Haunting music and Russian-style ice romance full of longing suits them. Very rough around the edges, some lifts aren't well-formulated yet, lines aren't polished, but their strength and conditioning is there. I imagine the program will be ready in a month or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPZSzdId3uM

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
It really wouldnt matter what Chan will be skating to
he will still get ridiculous PCS and oke GOE for landing jumps on his butt :rolleye:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
drivingmissdaisy said:
I don't know why everyone thinks he needs a jump coach. He peaked when he needed to last year without one. He is no more or less consistent now than he has been in the past.

I'd say he is. Did you see him land one 3A with positive GOE in the LP this season (despite nationals, I don't really remember how he skated there...)? He seems to be more prone to popping his jumps too.
I'm not saying he will crash and burn next season, or that his jumps when he lands them lost quality. But it would definitly feel more secure if he had a technical coach.

spikydurian

Medalist
I have to say that I am one of the cynical ones about his always bringing up this as a tribute to Colson. I have to think that Chan has said so many things in the press (like his comments about Oda, Ten, WTT, Skate Canada) that are un-Colson-like, that, whatever connection there was to that great man, this skater - as great a skater as he is - is just playing everyone in that regard. Let the program speak for itself. I think that is what Colson would have said.
Do you know Colson well? I don’t see anything wrong or cynical with Patrick dedicating his (likely) final LP to his late coach with whom he had a ‘more than coach-student’ relationship. If we can dedicate books to special people, why not skating programs? And this not the first time he dedicated a skate to Colson, his EX 'Yesterday' being the other one. His special bond with Colson developed long before he became National and World Champions.

As you said, let the program speaks for itself. Some may like it and some not. It’s personal preference and that’s understandable.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'd say he is. Did you see him land one 3A with positive GOE in the LP this season (despite nationals, I don't really remember how he skated there...)?

I don't think that was ever a strong jump for him. He has focused a lot on the performance aspect of skating and it seems to be working for him. It is hard to argue with his results. Having a technical coach could be difficult if they try to make changes to his technique or focus more on jumps at the expense of the performance. Just because a skater gets a technical coach doesn't mean their results will automatically improve in that area, or that improvements will not negatively impact other aspects of the programs.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Do you know Colson well? I don’t see anything wrong or cynical with Patrick dedicating his (likely) final LP to his late coach with whom he had a ‘more than coach-student’ relationship. If we can dedicate books to special people, why not skating programs? And this not the first time he dedicated a skate to Colson, his EX 'Yesterday' being the other one. His special bond with Colson developed long before he became National and World Champions.

As you said, let the program speaks for itself. Some may like it and some not. It’s personal preference and that’s understandable.

This.

If Patrick wants to dedicate his Olympic program to his late coach, then let him. He and Colson obviously had a very close relationship; Patrick probably grants Colson with giving him the foundation that allowed him to become a three-time World champion. Now that Sochi is approaching, Patrick more than likely feels a twinge of sadness that Colson won't be here to watch him perform. What impact do his sometimes-controversial remarks have on the genuineness of his memories? What is there to be cynical about, at all? Being cynical simply for the sake of being cynical is never a good reason.

Honestly, disliking Patrick/his skating is one thing. Accusing him of using his coach's memory as propaganda is just ridiculous. :rolleye:

Macassar88

Medalist
Don't know if this has been posted yet. Bobrova & Soloviev's new FD. Reminiscent of their White Nights FD. Haunting music and Russian-style ice romance full of longing suits them. Very rough around the edges, some lifts aren't well-formulated yet, lines aren't polished, but their strength and conditioning is there. I imagine the program will be ready in a month or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPZSzdId3uM

I think it has a lot of promise. I noticed a lot more transitions than last year's program which should hopefully help their PCS.

Can't wait to see it with costumes at their first event!

gmyers

Record Breaker
The reason they were 4th in the FD was because of their TES. They still need to improve that area. Regardless of coach Kustarova or Zhulin they are putting themselves in danger of losses to I/K at Euros and bronze to C/L because the team of B/S just seems to be weak technically. The PCS and GOE from more transitions could help them but they have a problem! Last in the FD at the GPF. Second to I/K in the Euros FD, 4th in the FD at worlds. All because they can't maintain good levels across the board in the FD. But obviously if they win Olympic bronze with a fourth in the FD they wont care LOL! It just makes them constantly at risk of not medaling.