2013-2014 Programs by Discipline | Page 56 | Golden Skate

2013-2014 Programs by Discipline

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Love Kovtun's FS music, it sounded familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Anyone know the name of the piece?

gmyers

Record Breaker
A different kind of Romero and Juliet? I guess his first was more" kissing you" than a classic r&j.

Moment

Final Flight
I'm indifferent to his choices. It's all more super safe, all been done before than trying to expand his range.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
Has this been posted?

Yuzuru Hanyu
SP: "Parisienne Walkways" (the same as last season's SP)
FS: Nino Rota's "Romeo & Juliet" Soundtrack

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNASDH21013_R20C13A8000000/

I never tire of listening to that version of R&J no matter how much it's overused so hoping it'll be good. Yeah, they're going the safe route and trying recreate the magic of his old R&J program. Rather daunting task considering last season's Notre Dame de Paris fell well short of the mark. Actually, I wouldn't mind if he just brought back his old program although I'm eager to see how the Nino Rota version goes.

Poice

Final Flight
Has this been posted?

Yuzuru Hanyu

Oh no.... I'm his fan but another Romeo&Juliet? I wanted for him some passionate music ;/This one will never be as fascinating as his R&J from 2011/2012 season. On the other hand I'm glad he decided to keep his SP. I love the music and choreography.

Kalina

On the Ice
Giulia, perhaps you have not listened to the music, or you would realise that the two versions are as far apart as they can be :) from powerful, strong and epic (the Romeo+Julie movie) to soft and delicate. There's no 'fighting' and screaming in Nino Rota's Romeo and Juliet. A bit difficult to copy choreography in this case, right?
It's pretty obvious from how he talked about it that he likes it much more than Notte Dame. The fans... we'll see.

giulia95

Medalist
Giulia, perhaps you have not listened to the music, or you would realise that the two versions are as far apart as they can be :) from powerful, strong and epic (the Romeo+Julie movie) to soft and delicate. There's no 'fighting' and screaming in Nino Rota's Romeo and Juliet. A bit difficult to copy choreography in this case, right?
It's pretty obvious from how he talked about it that he likes it much more than Notte Dame. The fans... we'll see.

Hi Kalina, now I would be very, very curious to know if Javier keeps the last year SP and has a recycled character for the FS ....:)

not so much fantasy for sure in the team!:biggrin:

Yes, I know Rota's R&J well but may I say it is just a little bit overused? And didn't Orser emphasize Yuzu had to act like an adult, like a mature person last year?? R&J is probably the most famous teen love story ever...

Mirunna

Record Breaker
If Yuzuru likes it, maybe we'll like it too. His last LP was so boring, any other program will be an improvement. Yes, it's an overused choice of music but with him skating to it, I am not that bothered (plus, I like the music. Hope is not Edvin Marton's version though). His SP was amazing, I am glad he is keeping it.
So many skaters are recycling old programs(perhaps it's more acurate to say recycling old music). We have so far Mao, Patrick, Adelina (ar least partially, we have not seen the program yet), Yuzuru with another RJ but at least the music is different. Am I missing someone?

Finnstep

Final Flight
If Yuzuru likes it, maybe we'll like it too. His last LP was so boring, any other program will be an improvement. Yes, it's an overused choice of music but with him skating to it, I am not that bothered (plus, I like the music. Hope is not Edvin Marton's version though). His SP was amazing, I am glad he is keeping it.
So many skaters are recycling old programs(perhaps it's more acurate to say recycling old music). We have so far Mao, Patrick, Adelina (ar least partially, we have not seen the program yet), Yuzuru with another RJ but at least the music is different. Am I missing someone?

There are few fan-cams on Sotnikova's new LP from test skate.

phaeljones

On the Ice
Do you know Colson well? I don’t see anything wrong or cynical with Patrick dedicating his (likely) final LP to his late coach with whom he had a ‘more than coach-student’ relationship. If we can dedicate books to special people, why not skating programs? And this not the first time he dedicated a skate to Colson, his EX 'Yesterday' being the other one. His special bond with Colson developed long before he became National and World Champions.

As you said, let the program speaks for itself. Some may like it and some not. It’s personal preference and that’s understandable.

Your comment is fair. I should have qualified what I said more. But I stand by what I wrote. He has said what Colson told him as core values a skater should have. For instance, there was a "feel-good" interview in the Globe and Mail shortly after his WTT fiasco. He talked of humility being one of the most important qualities that a skater should have and that Colson constantly emphasized that. It is a quality that Chan lacks in his off the cuff remarks. It seems that whenever he puts his foot in his mouth and says something really strange, it is followed up shortly later somewhere else with his talking about Colson and saying something uncontroversial like it is important to be humble and that Colson told him that. That is what I meant.

Patrick Chan mentioned it. He is made it an issue. He doesn't want the skate to speak for itself. As well, this is not a skater that oozes sincerity. His eq is not up there. That is why I directed comments to it.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Has this been posted?

Yuzuru Hanyu

I have to agree with others, who aren't that impressed. Same SP, when I didn't like it and I doubt it will get better (for me).... :( And another Romeo & Juliet? Ok, it is different, but why do something as weird like this in the olympic season? My excitement for Yuzuru has dropped by a mile, this is honestly boring.

Haven't read everything, what kind of music is Javier skating to? Putting my hopes onto him here.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I have to agree with others, who aren't that impressed. Same SP, when I didn't like it and I doubt it will get better (for me).... :( And another Romeo & Juliet? Ok, it is different, but why do something as weird like this in the olympic season? My excitement for Yuzuru has dropped by a mile, this is honestly boring.

Haven't read everything, what kind of music is Javier skating to? Putting my hopes onto him here.

I have to disagree. His choices are smart for him. The timbre of the two programs couldn't be more different. The sp, my favourite of all sp's from last year, especially when executed perfectly is fresh. Romeo and Juliet classic. It is clear he has his mind set on one thing, winning. I hope he does it. It is high time for a changing of the guard in figure skating and what better time to do it than at the Olympics?

Eris

On the Ice
Romeo and Juliet classic.
There're tons of classic music, really. Why to chose the theme you've already performed? He's a young skater with great potential who is not planning on retiring, why to repeat himself?
Same for Adelina (or any other young skater).
I can understand Patrick and Mao though: these OG will probably be their last ones, they want to bring back their best pieces, to enjoy themselves.

bramweld

Record Breaker
There're tons of classic music, really. Why to chose the theme you've already performed? He's a young skater with great potential who is not planning on retiring, why to repeat himself?
Same for Adelina (or any other young skater).
I can understand Patrick and Mao though: these OG will probably be their last ones, they want to bring back their best pieces, to enjoy themselves.

You have a point. But you know he's young and he can deliver it outstandingly well. So I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. He above all other young figure skaters has consistently shown his class even when not 100%.