2013-2014 Programs by Discipline | Page 65 | Golden Skate

2013-2014 Programs by Discipline

giulia95

Medalist
The problem is Hanyu has expressed more than once that he does not want to skate to the old SP. He has been wanting a new SP. But again and again Orser and Co. persuades him to skate to the old SP. That’s why many Hanyu fans don’t like this.

This has nothing to do with potential. Most people know that Hanyu has potential to win OGM. Sadly this is more politics and money. For example, Brian Orser, Jeffrey Buttle, and Javier Fernandez all belong to IMG. Hanyu does not. IMG has been pursuing Hanyu since last year, but Hanyu does not want to be part of IMG. This is why Fernandez gets all the IMG support and can go to Japan Open and make a documentary to be shown on NBC. Since IMG still can’t get Hanyu until now, it’s not a surprise that Orser and Co. are favoring Fernandez. Remember what IMG did that also made Yuna leave Orser, just because Yuna was not in IMG. I don’t think it’s a surprise IMG and Orser can do similar things again.

:scratch: :slink:

many thanks for the explanation Doctor 2014!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Dance updates from JGP Mexico

Note, the boy in this pair is the son of Juris Razgulaevs, the coach. The ISU spelling looks like an error.

Katie Desveaux & Dmitre Razgulajevs CAN
SD Foxtrot: Witchcraft, Quickstep: Let's Face the Music and Dance by Nat King Cole; choreo by Carol Lane, Juris Razgulaevs
FD Goes Nowhere by Mike Hopkins, Waltz for Erica by Mike Hopkins, Descending by Mike Hopkins; choreo by Carol Lane, Juris Razgulaevs

Charlotte Dyson & Paul Dredge GBR
SD Charleston: No Dignity by Black Street, Quickstep: That Man by Caro Emerald; choreo by Andrew Smykowski
FD Never Tear Us Apart by INXS, Let's Stick Together by Bryan Ferry; choreo by Andrew Smykowski

Madeline Edwards & Zhao Kai Pang CAN
SD Foxtrot, Quickstep; choreo by Megan Wing & Aaron Lowe
FD Les Miserables; choreo by Megan Wing & Aaron Lowe

Carina Glastris & Nicholas Lettner GRE
SD Foxtrot: I Wanna Be Loved By You, Quickstep: The Glove; choreo by Carol Lane & Juris Razguliaevs
FD Tarrango Latin Medley; choreo by Carol Lane & Juris Razguliaevs

Tory Patsis & Joseph Johnson USA
SD Music: "Shake that Thing" by Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks, "Booty Swing" by Parov Stelar
FD Music: The Chemical Brothers medley
choreo by Christopher Dean, Trina Pratt

Mina Zdravkova & Henry Aiken GBR
SD Quickstep: Putting On The Ritz by Irving Berlin, Foxtrot: Cheek To Cheek by Irving Berlin; choreo by Marika Humphreys-Baranov & Kevin Adams
FD Alice's Theme (from "Alice in Wonderland" soundtrack) by Danny Elfman; choreo by Marika Humphreys-Baranov & Kevin Adams

jennyanydots

On the Ice
The problem is Hanyu has expressed more than once that he does not want to skate to the old SP. He has been wanting a new SP. But again and again Orser and Co. persuades him to skate to the old SP. That’s why many Hanyu fans don’t like this.

This has nothing to do with potential. Most people know that Hanyu has potential to win OGM. Sadly this is more politics and money. For example, Brian Orser, Jeffrey Buttle, and Javier Fernandez all belong to IMG. Hanyu does not. IMG has been pursuing Hanyu since last year, but Hanyu does not want to be part of IMG. This is why Fernandez gets all the IMG support and can go to Japan Open and make a documentary to be shown on NBC. Since IMG still can’t get Hanyu until now, it’s not a surprise that Orser and Co. are favoring Fernandez. Remember what IMG did that also made Yuna leave Orser, just because Yuna was not in IMG. I don’t think it’s a surprise IMG and Orser can do similar things again.

I kind of meant that as a generalization although I was aware that Yuzu wanted a new SP. He's a teenager afterall and is probably bored with it. Brian Orser was most likely concerned that they wouldn't be able to come up with something as good so it was more strategic to keep the program because it scores well.

Maybe it seems that Orser favors Javier more because he knows what to do with him and doesn't quite know what direction to take with Yuzu. Javier is easy to package. As for Yuzu, if you refine and package him, he loses his wild child appeal but at the same time he needs to mature. There's also a language barrier and cultural differences that might make Yuzu harder to work with. I would hate to think it was all about agents, politics and money. I don't think it's general knowledge exactly what went down with the Brian and Yuna split but if was due to a conflict of agencies, that just terrible.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
In Jr Pairs

Lina Fedorova & Maxim Miroshkin RUS
SP Clowns and Kids Suite by Alfred Schnittke
LP Cabaret by Liza Minelli

blue eyed birds

Spectator
Dance updates from JGP Mexico

Note, the boy in this pair is the son of Juris Razgulaevs, the coach. The ISU spelling looks like an error.

Katie Desveaux & Dmitre Razgulajevs CAN
SD Foxtrot: Witchcraft, Quickstep: Let's Face the Music and Dance by Nat King Cole; choreo by Carol Lane, Juris Razgulaevs
FD Goes Nowhere by Mike Hopkins, Waltz for Erica by Mike Hopkins, Descending by Mike Hopkins; choreo by Carol Lane, Juris Razgulaevs

Actually, his name is spelled "Razgulajevs" on the Scarboro Ice Dance Elite website as well.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
interesting. The father's name is always spelled with the "ae" I wonder whether there should be a diacritical mark over the a in real life?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Actually, his name is spelled "Razgulajevs" on the Scarboro Ice Dance Elite website as well.

interesting. The father's name is always spelled with the "ae" I wonder whether there should be a diacritical mark over the a in real life?

Maybe the father changed the "Canadianized" spelling of his name at some point??

Ice Dance Elite's page about the father has the same spelling as the son's:

And what appears to be the father's Facebook page uses the same spelling as the son's:

Hieloespanol

Spectator
Sonia Lafuente

Sonia Lafuente
Franz Schubert's Quartet "The Maiden and the Death" (SP)
The Phantom of the Opera (FP)
choreographies by Iván Sáez

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thank you! I'm hoping Spain qualifies for one of the 10 spots for the Olympic team competition! Good luck to Sonia in that effort!

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
I kind of meant that as a generalization although I was aware that Yuzu wanted a new SP. He's a teenager afterall and is probably bored with it. Brian Orser was most likely concerned that they wouldn't be able to come up with something as good so it was more strategic to keep the program because it scores well.

Maybe it seems that Orser favors Javier more because he knows what to do with him and doesn't quite know what direction to take with Yuzu. Javier is easy to package. As for Yuzu, if you refine and package him, he loses his wild child appeal but at the same time he needs to mature. There's also a language barrier and cultural differences that might make Yuzu harder to work with. I would hate to think it was all about agents, politics and money. I don't think it's general knowledge exactly what went down with the Brian and Yuna split but if was due to a conflict of agencies, that just terrible.

I agree. I can't imagine the Japenese Federation would contiune to support Hanyu working with Orser if they felt he was not getting what he needed and was set aside in favor of another student. There is more to this sport than politics but some people love to find conspiracy and conflict in just about everything. Yuzuru did extremely well with his SP last season and has proved he can earn a lot of points with it. Thus the decision to use it again. Duh :rolleye: Of course he is an OGM contender as he was on the World podium in 2012. Duh.

IleK

On the Ice
Sonia Lafuente
Franz Schubert's Quartet "The Maiden and the Death" (SP)
The Phantom of the Opera (FP)
choreographies by Iván Sáez

Not another phantom!:( The Olympics will look like Haloween with some uninvited "Carmens". Good luck for Sonia, I am sure she can qualify.

Hieloespanol

Spectator
Thank you! I'm hoping Spain qualifies for one of the 10 spots for the Olympic team competition! Good luck to Sonia in that effort!

Related with that, As you can see we'll send a pair (Veronika Grigoreva / Aritz Maestu) to the Nebelhorn but with no chance to Sochi because she doesn´t have spanish nacionality.
So probably we fight as a team with only with 3 categories.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I don't know all the ins & outs of the rules, since it is a new event, but I believe that as long as they have competed internationally on either the senior or junior level, that one singles skater, or one team who did not themselves qualify can be used as part of the team event, provided the other 3 disciplines qualify to Sochi, and that the country as a whole qualifies for the team event by virtue of the results included in the qualification formula.

No doubt someone who knows this stuff better than I do will tell us! It is not impossible (although at this point unlikely), also, that the ISU will change the rules between now & Sochi.

Hieloespanol

Spectator
I don't know all the ins & outs of the rules, since it is a new event, but I believe that as long as they have competed internationally on either the senior or junior level, that one singles skater, or one team who did not themselves qualify can be used as part of the team event, provided the other 3 disciplines qualify to Sochi, and that the country as a whole qualifies for the team event by virtue of the results included in the qualification formula.

No doubt someone who knows this stuff better than I do will tell us! It is not impossible (although at this point unlikely), also, that the ISU will change the rules between now & Sochi.

The question is that our only couple can´t compete at the olympics because of the nacionality.
We're waitting for ISU's definitive rule but we hope to qualify as team with only men, woman and dance

airin

Rinkside
Let me point out one thing just in case. Yuzuru talked that he had feeling to show a new program in some interviews, but he talked about his 2013-2014SP in the competitions, neither about the LP nor the programs he performed in AOI and DOI shows. It is more reasonable to perform Parisian walkways SP in these shows than performing another program, if his new programs were not completed, and if there was a possibility to continue skating PW SP this season.

I think the situations are pretty different among Yuzuru and Javi. Javi is thought sure to be selected as a competitor for the Olympic Games, but Yuzuru has to compete among many other Japanese skaters (Takahashi, Kozuka, Oda, Mura, Maichida…). He needs to get high scores and needs to get on the podium at GPS in order to participate in GPF, since JSF announced they consider their season’s best score and the result of GPF in the selection to OG. Japanese skaters cannot fall down both in GPS, GPF and the Japan Nationals to be selected to the OG with sureness. And what is more, he’s going to compete with PChan both in SC and TEB. Also, we need to consider that Yuzuru couldn’t train for two month after the WC because of his knee injury.
I don’t intend to offer a defense of Oser and Wilson, but I think it’s not meaningful to ascribe the difference between the programs of Yuzuru and Javi to political conspiracy.

bara1968

On the Ice
Also, we need to consider that Yuzuru couldn’t train for two month after the WC because of his knee injury.

I didn't know that. Thank you for the information. But considering his appearance in ice shows, he is fully recovered by now isn't he? I agree with you on that this might be one of the main reasons for keeping the same SP. I hope that he can fully show his incredible talent in the upcoming season, without any health problem. It is indeed painful to watch great skaters suffering from injuries..

B

bingbing

Savchenko/Szolkowy's LP is to The Nutcracker. kinda unexpected, I guess.
That was a disaster! S/Z's version is unbeatable for pairs and S/S is not good at classic music at all.
Ingo should not find DW for them in Olympic season because it's too risky and the fact proves this.
S/S are always impressive for their choice of music but Nutcracker is overused for so many years.
So sad for this pair's final choice.

Finnstep

Final Flight
Vigalova/Zakroev is skating to Giselle for their LP this season.

Maria Sotskova's ISU biography is updated as well:
SP:Nuevo Tango by Viejos Aires(choreography by Ilona Protasenia)
LP:pina(soundtrack)(choreography by Ilona Protasenia)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Vigalova & Zakroev's Wiki said they kept their Capone SP from last year.

It's interesting that Wikis are updated more religiously than ISU bios sometimes.