2013-2014 Programs by Discipline | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2013-2014 Programs by Discipline

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I hope that you are correct, Mrs. P. I was aware that Davis/White were attending the media summit. But I did not assume that the Shibutanis were too. If the Shibs are invited to it, then are Chock/Bates included too? Hubbell/Donohue? etc., etc.

I have seen unofficial photos of D/W with Nagasu and Rippon over the last couple of days ... but I was guessing that they all were taking advantage of their proximity to socialize together on their own time. (Am I correct that Rippon and Nagasu live and train in southern California?)

Of the skaters mentioned in this post, only D/W are virtually certain to qualify for Sochi. Wonder what the criteria are for attending the media summit.
Does NBC choose the participants? Or is it the USOC?
KKonas, if you are reading this thread, can you shed light?

Is it possible that Nagasu and Rippon were invited too? If so, again the mind then quickly wonders which other Sochi hopefuls were deemed worthy.

(I see now from USFS tweets today that Gold also is there ... so I guess whoever is in charge of choosing the athletes is casting a wide net. Not saying that she is an extremely long shot, but like the others, she is hardly a slam dunk on the level of D/W.)

IIRC, the last olympics has promos (in the Ladies) for Caroline, Alissa, Mirai, Rachel, Ashley, et. al. Basically it wouldn't surprise me if they invited the top five or six or whatever....

ETA: Jeremy tweeted that he was on his way to LA also....so he's likely attending as well. So maybe it's top 3?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks, Mrs. P. :)

Partly what I'm thinking is that for those who are invited to the media summit, the experience must be a great morale booster.

But being left out must be a big downer for some skaters -- if they have valid reasons to believe that their chances of qualifying for Sochi are arguably within the same range as some of the invitees. I do feel bad for those who hoped to be invited, but were not. :(

ForeverFish

Medalist
Well, Ashley and Gracie have a high chance of being the core of next year's Olympic team. They're not locks like D/W, but I'd put their chances above 70%. Being a previous Olympian, Mirai is very popular with the American crowds, and Jeremy is a three-time US champion. None of them are TOO far-fetched for the Oly team.

I'd bet that the USFSA nominates skaters to go to these media summits, which are intended to stir up publicity for the sport more than anything else.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
ETA: Jeremy tweeted that he was on his way to LA also....so he's likely attending as well. So maybe it's top 3?

If Jeremy is invited for this shoot and not Max or Ross I'll pitch a fit.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Well, Ashley and Gracie have a high chance of being the core of next year's Olympic team. They're not locks like D/W, but I'd put their chances above 70%. Being a previous Olympian, Mirai is very popular with the American crowds, and Jeremy is a three-time US champion. None of them are TOO far-fetched for the Oly team.

If Jeremy is invited for this shoot and not Max or Ross I'll pitch a fit.

BTW, I do understand that as a practical matter, this media stuff cannot wait until the selection of the Olympic skaters, so USFS and/or USOC and/or NBC have to do their best to read tea leaves.

And I do not have any quibble with those mentioned by ForeverFish.

But I do wonder, for example, which ladies are at the summit along with Gold.
Wagner is on tour with CSOI, but presumably would be there otherwise.
Gao tweeted last night about arriving in LA. :)
If Nagasu is there, I'm happy for her.
Zawadzki? Czisny? Hicks?

ETA:
Update on Wagner: she tweeted today (Wed) that she temporarily has left the CSOI tour, so I guess that means that she is attending the Olympic media summit.
USFS tweeted photos of Gao and Zawadzki there.
No mention of Czisny yet ...​

As for the U.S. men, they have only two slots in Sochi, right?
In any case, I agree with karne that Aaron and Miner should be no-brainers for the media summit.
Like Nagasu, Abbott was a 2010 Olympian - plus he has the national titles to his name.
I assume that Lysacek will be at the summit.
Farris? Weir?? Rippon??

ETA:
Good news, karne: USFS tweeted photos today of Miner as well as Abbott -- and said that Aaron is TK on Friday :).​

(Sorry for the thread drift. Will refrain from saying more except that I hope Zhang/Bartholomay are among the pairs at the summit.)

ETA:
And also per USFS tweeting, the best news of all (IMHO): Mrs. P was correct that the Shibutanis are at the shoot :).​

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
One thing that always makes me chuckle is watching the videos of the NBC's men's LP coverage from US Nationals this year.

During the warmup for the last group, they played this dramatic, moody-shots, black-and-white fluff piece about how Jeremy was joining an elite group of men with four titles - but how Ross saw it differently and wanted to ursup him...

...and then like two minutes later Max Aaron takes the ice. And ka-boom. What fluff piece did you just show? ;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Gilles/Poirier FD: "Hitchcock" soundtrack, per their tweets (Apr 25)

Gilles/Poirier FD: "Hitchcock" soundtrack, per their tweets (Apr 25)

@PaulDPoirier
Traveling down a different road this season: our new Free Dance will be set to the soundtrack from "Hitchcock."
10:14 AM - 25 Apr 13​

@PiperGilles
We are calling it The Directors Cut. It is a mix of songs off the Hitchcock soundtrack... Intrigued yet??
10:19 AM - 25 Apr 13​

KKonas

Medalist
I think the USOC Media Summit is scheduled for Salt Lake City, UT late summer. This LA thing is just the initial photoshoot. Will double check on this.

ForeverFish

Medalist
But I do wonder, for example, which ladies are at the summit along with Gold.
Wagner is on tour with CSOI, but presumably would be there otherwise.
Gao tweeted last night about arriving in LA. :)
If Nagasu is there, I'm happy for her.
Zawadzki? Czisny? Hicks?

Wagner, Gold, Zawadzki, and Gao--as far as I know. There's been no word on Czisny, Nagasu, or Hicks, and none of the photo stills that I've seen have included them. I'm inclined to believe that they were not invited, unless someone can clue me in.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think the USOC Media Summit is scheduled for Salt Lake City, UT late summer. This LA thing is just the initial photoshoot. Will double check on this.

Thanks for double-checking, KKonas. (I too have seen references to the SLC summit.)

Wagner, Gold, Zawadzki, and Gao--as far as I know. There's been no word on Czisny, Nagasu, or Hicks, and none of the photo stills that I've seen have included them. I'm inclined to believe that they were not invited, unless someone can clue me in.

I have seen only Wagner/Gold/Gao/Zawadzki as well.

But Max Aaron's turn is not until tomorrow (even though Miner/Abbott/Lysacek photos already have been seen) ... so I wonder whether any additional ladies will pop up tomorrow too??

KKonas

Medalist
Just confirmed from USOC that the Media Summit is scheduled for Sept 29-Oct 2 2013 in Park City, Utah. (Salt Lake City is close by) Full day of interviews will take place on Monday, Sept 30. I went to the last USOC Media Summit for the 2010 OWG in Chicago. It was great. As regards who choses the skaters to appear at this event, the USOC leaves it to USFS.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks for the confirmed details re the fall summit, KKonas.
I believe that you have mentioned previously that you now are in semi-retirement ... but will you have the pleasure of going to Park City too?

I see that USFS Champs Camp is tentatively scheduled for Aug 19-25 this year.

Nebelhorn, scheduled for Sep 25-28, is the only Senior B that I see on the calendar before Park City.
So when deciding whom to invite to the summit, USFS will have to rely - at least in terms of competitive results - largely on what is already known now, I guess? At best, Nebelhorn will give only a few additional bits of data at the last minute.
Will summer comps help or hurt anyone's chances of inclusion?
Although it's "only" for publicity purposes, I'm thinking again that the next summit will have some effect on confidence and motivation, depending on who does and does not make the cut.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I will be very, very, very angry if Lysacek shows up at this summit and not a skater who has actually skated.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I so hope Taka has a great season! He was awesome at SA. I felt so privileged to have seem him skate live :love:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
deedee1 said:
Seems Takahiko Kozuka will keep 2012-13 season's Free to Rondo Capriccioso.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52fg5HFDf0A

Source, though in Japanese: http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/article/sp...702000236.html
Taka says his short for the new season is already done, which sounds like a fun program, but does not mention music name yet.

Oh damn! I so, so hoped he would have kept his Exodus SP, it was perfect!
But one way or another, I'm crossing my fingers for an amazing season. Hopefully everything will go well, even with his hip(?) problems. And a fun program is good too :)

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Seems Takahiko Kozuka will keep 2012-13 season's Free to Rondo Capriccioso.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52fg5HFDf0A

Source, though in Japanese: http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/article/sports/news/CK2013042702000236.html
Taka says his short for the new season is already done, which sounds like a fun program, but does not mention music name yet. :)
Hmm, I didn't really like his Capriccio FS, I think that it doesn't allow him to show his expressive abilities, when I really liked his SP... I would have preferred him to keep Exodus, yes... :frown: However, something happy can work well for him, too!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I will be very, very, very angry if Lysacek shows up at this summit and not a skater who has actually skated.

Lysacek was at this past week's summit, so it would not surprise me if he also is in Park City -- unless between now and then he reverses his decision to aim for Sochi.

I understand your point, but I do not think that the media can be expected to ignore the defending Olympic champion.

[I'm reminded of the path of Boitano [one of my favorites] to his second Olympics (although he was not defending champion). At Nationals, the American media gave much more attention to Boitano's silver (because it qualified him for the Olympics) than to the winner's gold. I did feel bad at the time that the U.S. champion was overshadowed, and I'm sorry to say that at this point I do not remember his name.]

KKonas

Medalist
Thanks for the confirmed details re the fall summit, KKonas.
I believe that you have mentioned previously that you now are in semi-retirement ... but will you have the pleasure of going to Park City too?

I see that USFS Champs Camp is tentatively scheduled for Aug 19-25 this year.

Nebelhorn, scheduled for Sep 25-28, is the only Senior B that I see on the calendar before Park City.
So when deciding whom to invite to the summit, USFS will have to rely - at least in terms of competitive results - largely on what is already known now, I guess? At best, Nebelhorn will give only a few additional bits of data at the last minute.
Will summer comps help or hurt anyone's chances of inclusion?
Although it's "only" for publicity purposes, I'm thinking again that the next summit will have some effect on confidence and motivation, depending on who does and does not make the cut.

I hope to go to Park City for the Summit, Credentialling will begin in August. However, I do care for my 91 year old mother and my husband could begin dialysis by the summer, so it kind of depends on whether I can take the 3-4 days away from home. (It's tough getting old.) Then both my granddaughters are getting married this year, one right after Skate America so I won't be able to go to that event. So I would love to go to the Summit in Park City. It might well be my last media event.