Does Plushenko's longevity make him a better skater than Yagudin? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Does Plushenko's longevity make him a better skater than Yagudin?

aschiutza

On the Ice
I don't know enough to make any character evaluations of either man, but when alcohol enters the picture, it can eat a person alive, and it's always heartbreaking to contemplate. There's a reason the old temperance activists of the Victorian era used to call it "demon rum." If Plushenko has not taken that road, that is indeed one aspect in which he has outdone his old rival Yagudin, and I'm grateful to know it.

I really hope is just a rumour or not a serious problem. Outside the DUI for Yagudin when he was in USA, I have never heard about him having such problems.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
That was something Plush had and Yagudin didn't : (self)irony. This is one ingredient which i absolutly love in Plushenko's programs and make me look his progrmas over and over.

Yagudin was a very serious skater, hard working type, who can move the mountains if he wants to, like a titan. You can really feel the power when watching his programs. His try to show comedy / irony on ice were not really good (One banana anyone?).
While Plushenko showed joy and easiness, as if he will move the mountains with a snipet of his fingers if he will bother . Theater, drama, fireworks.

Actually more their character was different than anything else.

Perfect summary...Thank you.."Theater, drama, fireworks" so true..this program in 2010 Tango Amore..this was also hated here..Listen to the chinese audience..Plushy took them crazy with the "bad" program https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5lAZtvnkak
he is unique on ice..no one comes close to him..

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I really hope is just a rumour or not a serious problem. Outside the DUI for Yagudin when he was in USA, I have never heard about him having such problems.

He had this problem, you believe me. But he is over this problem, his beautiful daughter helped him, I think... I would not mention it but I'm so angry when the members are always bashing Plushy for everything. Read some previous posts in this thread...and don't know anything about Yagudin's dark side and he is the nicest guy..excuse me...

aschiutza

On the Ice
Well, IMO both Yagudin and Plush are unique. How great that they skated the same period! THAT was a great time to watch male skating, regardless which of them two was winning :clap:

aschiutza

On the Ice
He had this problem, you believe me. But he is over this problem, his beautiful daughter helped him, I think... I would not mention it but I'm so angry when the members are always bashing Plushy for everything. Read some previous posts in this thread...and don't know anything about Yagudin's dark side and he is the nicest guy..excuse me...

This is then great to hear! Alcohol is a bad thing not only for an athlete but also for a family man.

(I have some things that i don't like at Yagudin, but as they are not directly related with him on the ice, i prefer to don't talk about. At the end of the day i don't know him personaly. I prefer to keep him in my memory for what beauty he brought on the ice and to don't search further or read his interviews.)

Thanks for the extra information! It's great to hear. I've always loved Yagudin as a skater and want to imagine him having the best life possible. He is one of the skaters on my Forever List, along with Browning, Lambiel, Takahashi, Curry, Cranston, Wylie, and Cousins. As you can see, I don't add people to this list every day.

But in terms of his rivalry with Plushenko, it's clear that each of them spurred the other on to do even better, and as with the rivalries between Mao and YuNa, Virtue/Moir and Davis/White, and others through the years, Yagudin's and Plushenko's epic battles benefited both of their careers and enriched men's skating as a whole.

Panpie

On the Ice
Thanks for the extra information! It's great to hear. I've always loved Yagudin as a skater and want to imagine him having the best life possible. He is one of the skaters on my Forever List, along with Browning, Lambiel, Takahashi, Curry, Cranston, Wylie, and Cousins. As you can see, I don't add people to this list every day.

Love your favorites list, Olympia. :love: Mine would pretty much coincide with yours. I may be adding Hanyu to it.

As for Yagudin vs. Plushenko: I admire Plushenko's longevity and technical prowess, and he certainly had/has a charisma and presence as a performer. His skating has always seemed a bit raw and wild to me, even as he has aged. He connects to the audience, but not so much to the music, in my opinion. Plushenko did have an incredible competitive career, but I honestly don't find many of his programs to be memorable. I have to say, I do think Plushenko would be a fascinating person to have dinner with. Yagudin, when he was at his peak, had it all: looks, charisma, technical prowess, and a real connection to both the audience and the music. No comparison between the two, really, in my book.

Enero

On the Ice

As I understand, after he retired when with SOI he was asked to leave the tour due to his drinking.

This is great to hear. I'm glad this is no longer an issue for him.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But I bet Yagudin couldn't do a Nijinsky program at this level either, http://youtu.be/SEJXkfMYTX4
They are all unique on their own ways. :love: Greatest skaters of all time!

While his footwork was very good and his showmanship outstanding as usual, I just can't get over the shaky landings on his jumps and his (in my opinion) weak spins. I do prefer Yagudin, who I think is the last great men's Olympic champion. Yagudin's footwork was outstanding, too, and overall, I think his jumps were better. His career was cut short by injury of course. Plushenko's longevity is truly remarkable.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
While his footwork was very good and his showmanship outstanding as usual, I just can't get over the shaky landings on his jumps and his (in my opinion) weak spins. I do prefer Yagudin, who I think is the last great men's Olympic champion. Yagudin's footwork was outstanding, too, and overall, I think his jumps were better. His career was cut short by injury of course. Plushenko's longevity is truly remarkable.

I don't think Yagudin spins are better not to mention his footwork....I believe Plushenko's footworks were more harder then Yagudin's famous footwork in Winter..

this is a cellection of his footwork https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKEEuxPEP0U

and Yagudin's jump were better? it seems the people are seeing what they want to see...Plushenko's jumps more beautiful and perfect. And enjoyable to watch probably because he is taller his body is more elegant as Yagudin's and he rotates faster in the air. I'm always seeing something mess with Yagudin's legs in the air. I can't find any montage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub9winBIRSo&t=0m43s

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
One thing I am very certain is that Plushenko has more titanium than Yagudin.:biggrin:

:laugh: yes. This was a good joke to 3of March. But in the last surgery have removed the screws because the plastic intervertebral discs have been around the muscles that are no longer needed with titanium screws. Thank God.

I think that is more important what the skaters think about Plushenko..you can read here http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?38503-Evgeni-Plushenko/page46

This is a Canadian article : Plushenko was the best skater of his era http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/4367949-plushenko-was-the-best-skater-of-his-era/ the most honest article about him what I read in North-American media

Vaytsekhovskaya's interview with Arutunian "Plushenko is on a new level"http://www.sport-express.ru/olympic14/figureskating/reviews/40863/ http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...tunian-quot-Pluschenko-is-on-a-new-level-quot

I accept when anybody prefers Yagudin but that is so rude and ridiculous when they say "no comparison between the two" and Plushenko isn't a great Olympic champion. :mad:

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
Many years after Yagudin retired, people in Sweden were still asking/ sending messages to the commentators ,where is Yagudin ? during the TV broadcasts of Worlds and Euros.
When asking skating friends, what made you like figure skating ? 9 out of 10 says Alexei Yagudin.
So I do think Yagudin truely has mad a big mark in history and he is my all time favorite too but I am glad that Plush has been able to stay in longer since they both have that special carisma.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Many years after Yagudin retired, people in Sweden were still asking/ sending messages to the commentators ,where is Yagudin ? during the TV broadcasts of Worlds and Euros.
When asking skating friends, what made you like figure skating ? 9 out of 10 says Alexei Yagudin.
So I do think Yagudin truely has mad a big mark in history and he is my all time favorite too but I am glad that Plush has been able to stay in longer since they both have that special carisma.
yes and they will say about Plushenko..right?

:laugh: yes. This was a good joke to 3of March. But in the last surgery have removed the screws because the plastic intervertebral discs have been around the muscles that are no longer needed with titanium screws. Thank God.

I think that is more important what the skaters think about Plushenko..you can read here http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?38503-Evgeni-Plushenko/page46

This is a Canadian article : Plushenko was the best skater of his era http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/4367949-plushenko-was-the-best-skater-of-his-era/ the most honest article about him what I read in North-American media

Vaytsekhovskaya's interview with Arutunian "Plushenko is on a new level"http://www.sport-express.ru/olympic14/figureskating/reviews/40863/ http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...tunian-quot-Pluschenko-is-on-a-new-level-quot

I accept when anybody prefers Yagudin but that is so rude and ridiculous when they say "no comparison between the two" and Plushenko isn't a great Olympic champion. :mad:

Plushyfan, there was a lovely little feature in a skating magazine available here in the U.S. (International Figure Skating), which quoted other male skaters talking about Plushenko on the occasion of his withdrawing from the individual competition at the Olympics. Among other remarks, Hanyu says that he started skating because of Plushenko. Jason Brown says, "I admire him so much." Joubert says, "He was always a big fighter and a great skater and sportsman." Amodio calls him "my hero." Even Trankov talks about him, because they competed as singles skaters together long ago. He says, "Everyone on the Russian team wants to be like him and will follow him." It was so nice to see Evgeni's achievements spotlighted like this.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Oh, I would say Plushenko is a great Olympic champion, particularly being able to exhibit the technical content that he did in 2006 and 2010. I was not a fan of either program in terms of content (or his lack of sportsmanship when Lysacek won), but there's no denying that he was at the top of his game. His technical performances in Sochi were also impressive given his surgeries and whatnot. And even though his 2006 LP lacked originality or choreography, he still saved a pretty messy men's competition by being the only skater to put out clean skates (2F aside), with the silver medalist falling in the FS and doing only 2As in both segments, and the bronze medalist falling in both segments), and in 2010 he was the only skater to put out two clean skates with a quad, and that's to be commended.

It's pretty apparent though that his greatest competitor in Olympic competition was Yagudin (even though Lysacek beat him through maximizing points and having a much better program overall). So when comparing the two, Yagudin won his gold in a very strong men's competition, beating out Plushenko and Goebel's 3 quads in 2002, whereas Plushenko was a big fish in a small pond of sloppy skaters in 2006 and the gold was inevitable as long as he delivered the jumps, which of course he did. Both were definitely OGM-worthy performances, but Yagudin had to work harder for his (I mean, Plushenko didn't even need a 2nd quad in 2006).

shine

Record Breaker
Yagudin is the standard of a complete skater!!! No one can be more complete than him!! :love: He is an artist and an athlete at the highest level of figure skating! Hence my avatar! :cool:
Putting away results and consistency and all, I want to ask why?
Yags and Plush always had the same level of programs, The difference was Yags program choices were more "american" and relatable,
His body was bigger and his arms longer so he seemed more expressive and he was more traditionally handsome, So people attribute better choreography to him, But neither was a master of choreography or spins but it was enough
back then.
I agree with this. I think both Yagudin and Plushenko were two of the greatest athelets figure skating has ever seen. They were both powerful, charismatic and gutsy, with Yagudin having the more audience-friendly and coherent programs. But neither would be on my list for the best or most complete skaters.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Well, as somebody mentioned, quality over quantity. And I think many here agree that Yagudin was a much better quality skater than Plushenko, even if he lacks Plushenko's longevity/track record. And as others mentioned, there are plenty of skaters other than Yagudin who I would consider better all-around skaters than Plushenko (Takahashi/Lambiel/Buttle/Chan/Hanyu/Fernandez/Kozuka/Abbott), even if they lack his unmatched accolades and/or technical consistency.

shine

Record Breaker
Well, as somebody mentioned, quality over quantity. And I think many here agree that Yagudin was a much better quality skater than Plushenko, even if he lacks Plushenko's longevity/track record. And as others mentioned, there are plenty of skaters who I would consider a better all-around skater than Plushenko (Takahashi/Lambiel/Buttle/Chan/Hanyu/Fernandez/Kozuka), even if they lack his accolades and/or technical consistency.
I disagree. Plushenko is the one that had cleaner jump technique and better posture. He had the more traditional Russian style of elegant skating. Where he came up short was the choice of music, which were simply terrible at times.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I disagree. Plushenko is the one that had cleaner jump technique and better posture. He had the more traditional Russian style of elegant skating. Where he came up short was the choice of music, which were simply terrible at times.

Well, I don't think he did his music justice. Some programs like Carmen were well interpreted, but other programs like his Godfather LP were just a jump fest. I agree Plushenko is more traditionalist, but Yagudin I would consider more of an artist and Plushenko more of a performer. As far as posture goes, I'm not a fan of Plushenko's hunch as he strokes around. His jump technique on his quad wasn't vastly superior to Yagudin's, and I actually prefer Yagudin's axel. Plushenko was however MUCH more ambitious than Yagudin when it came to jumps and jump combos. If you look where their priorities lie, Plushenko's was to rail off the big jumps (which got rather predictable/formulaic) and then get into the program, whereas Yagudin presented a complete skate, technically/artistically/choreographically, from start to finish. You can even tell from their starting movements what type of skater each one was -- Yagudin gets into the music & character of the program, while Plushenko immediately strokes around and powers into his first quad.