Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prestige of each competition?

Hybrid View

Medalist

Prestige of each competition?

Hi Im a newbie!
    I have a question!
    There are many comps in FS and major comps are
    OLY, WLD, GPF, EURO, 4CC this 5 comps no doubt.
    But how important is this each comp?
    I always think 'OLY>>>>>>WLD>>>GPF>EURO>4CC'
    Yes in regard of ranking point, EURO=4CC>GPF.
    But to skaters it would be little different I think?
    Give me your opinion pls. Sry 4 ma bad eng

Custom Title
    Olympics
    Worlds
    GPF
    Euro
    4CC
    National competitions
    Assorted GP events
    Senior B's

Custom Title
    When comparing careers of the greats, only Olympics and Worlds matter. More GPF or 4CC would never be a tiebreaker when factoring in who is better. For example, no one argues that Irina is on par with Michelle because she won 4 GPFs while Michelle only won 1. I think it's fair too, because Worlds is where everyone is trying to peak, so you get to see the world's best when they are (presumably) in peak condition.

I think Euros might still be more prestigious than the Grand Prix final. It has tradition and history going for it. In contrast, Four Continents has still not really found its footing, with many top skaters opting out.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I think Euros might still be more prestigious than the Grand Prix final. It has tradition and history going for it. In contrast, Four Continents has still not really found its footing, with many top skaters opting out.
    The most of the skaters uses GP to win money and to test their programs, which most of the time haven't reached their potential.
    GP is too much an invitational, seeded things were the luck plays a great role, so those getting to GPF are not always the best 6 skaters, but amixture between the best and those where the tactic of the federations played a great role. GPF is also not so releveant, because many skaters didn't peaked so early in the season.

Euro is an open competition, all against all. The federations tryes to send the best they have, so the competiton is always there, even if one year or other, for a discipline is very clear who will win.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    That is the main problem with 4CC, even the federation don't take it as seriosuly as the european countries takes Euro. They send seldom their best, but those to whom they want to give experience, while in Europe normally the best ones are going.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aschiutza View Post
    That is the main problem with 4CC, even the federation don't take it as seriosuly as the european countries takes Euro. They send seldom their best, but those to whom they want to give experience, while in Europe normally the best ones are going.
    exactly, also attribute that to location and time difference where skaters have to constantly travel on a longer distance
    4CC hasn't reached yet the prestige of Euros, US and Canad mostly send their 2nd tier or skaters they want experience

Custom Title
    There is also the issue of the timing and location of 4CC. US Nationals is usually within a week of Euros, and 4CC is several weeks after both, which may be too close to Worlds. The other problem is location; Euros competitors can usually take a train ride or short flight to the competition, whereas many 4CC competitors have to fly to the other side of the world to compete.

Custom Title
    I think that's true, although it's more the case in Olympic years - in years like 2014 and 2010, I don't think any of the Canadian or American skaters going to Vancouver or Sochi were allowed to go to 4 Continents. But in the non-Olympic years, the top skaters do go to 4 Continents - for example, Virtue/Moir, Davis/White, etc. have been at 4CC several times.

Yes, GPF should have more importance than Euros for example, but it actually doesn't, since both GPF and 4CC are relatively "new" competitions

Medalist
    Um..All European skaters think Euro>>>Gpf?
    And I also have a question. Why Mr.Plushenko participate WC only 6times? His longevity is well known for everyone..But why he participated EURO far more?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tompson View Post
    Um..All European skaters think Euro>>>Gpf?
    And I also have a question. Why Mr.Plushenko participate WC only 6times? His longevity is well known for everyone..But why he participated EURO far more?
    Mainly because of his injuries and because Euro were before olympics, while world were after the oly.

Strictly speaking, 4CC should have greater prestige than nationals, but for countries with extremely deep fields (eg. Japan), I am inclined to believe that the balance is shifted in the other direction (for the skaters, at least).

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnsaneLily87 View Post
    Olympics
    Worlds
    GPF
    Euro
    4CC
    National competitions
    Assorted GP events
    Senior B's
    This is spot on but I wish it were:

Worlds
    GPF
    Euros/4CC
    Olympics
    GP event
    Nationals
    Senior B

That's my level of interest. With the exception of Russian Nationals probably worthy of honorable mention and arguably a top three event at least IMO.

Banned
    Olympics
    Worlds
    Euros
    GPF
    4CC
    GP
    Nationals
    Senior B

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast