Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Prestige of each competition?

Custom Title
    I think Olympic is overate ; although it is great attention drawer for the sport. I would rank anyone who win from well skated world above Olympic champion who win in the competition with a lot of splat fests.

Custom Title
    I don't see Olympic as being overrated at all. This is a big chance for askater to win fans and attention from around the world and from casual fans who normally won't look after seeing worlds.

The most athletes we know from other sports, which we normally don't follow, are those winning big at olypmpics.

The exceptions are mostly in the sports who are very loved all the time, like tennis, soccer and basketball. But for a small sport, olympics is essential.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexRus View Post
    What special was in Sochi?

Men - both leaders (Hanyu and Chan) had serious mistakes, judges solved that Hanyu is higher. Hanyu and Chan were at the same level, so why not? All others were weaker than these leaders.

Ladies - three with very good skating. Yuna Kim skated, as for me, worse than Adelina and Caro. But Caro was third. Korean fans made scandal wanting Yuna be first - it is only their problem. I believe, skating of top-three was so close that any order of them is not a big mistake.

Pairs - 1st and 2nd places absolutely normal. Maybe 3rd and 4th may be made 4th and 3rd, but both these pairs had mistakes, so placing is normal.

Dance - V/M fans believe that they are better than D/W. In fact couples are very close, so no serious mistake in placing.

Scandal at SLC-2002 was much more serious, so nothing "especially at Sochi".
    SLC-2002 is no doubt leader in "strange judging and scandals".

There were many non-obvious solutions at Worlds and GP.

Worlds:
    3rd place of Caro at Worlds-2011 and 2014 - did she deserve 3rd, or in fact was 4th?
    1st place of Chan with 2 deductions at Worlds-2013 in Canada. Home judging?

GP:
    1st place of Alissa CZISNY with serious mistakes at Skate America-2011.
    1st place of Kaetlyn OSMOND at Skate Canada-2012.
    1st place of Mao ASADA at NHK Trophy-2012 (popped FS).
    1st place of Lipnitskaia in Moscow 2013.
    Home judging.
    Read the title of this thread

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aschiutza View Post
    I don't see Olympic as being overrated at all. This is a big chance for askater to win fans and attention from around the world and from casual fans who normally won't look after seeing worlds.

The most athletes we know from other sports, which we normally don't follow, are those winning big at olypmpics.

The exceptions are mostly in the sports who are very loved all the time, like tennis, soccer and basketball. But for a small sport, olympics is essential.
    Yes.
    Olympics for athletes is top, on which they rize for 4 years.
    We've seen at Olympics-2014 many excellent programs - Stolbova-Klimov, Kostner, Sotnikova, Asada (in FS) etc. skated unbelievably good.
    It is very nervous - we've seen mistakes of Savchenko-Szolkovy, Asada (in SP), Chan, Hanyu.
    Athletes risk their health - we've seen Yuna Kim who skated worse than at Worlds-2013 because of injury.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRus View Post

At 4CC-2011:
    In Men - no Chan, who became World Champion. May be a bit weaker than Euro-2011.
    In Ladies - Ando won both 4CC and Worlds, level of 4CC comparable to Euro or maybe a bit higher.
    In Pairs - non-European pairs were 3rd, 6th and below at Worlds. Euro was stronger.
    In Dance - D/W were 1st both at 4CC and Worlds, Shibs 2nd at 4CC and 3rd at Worlds, no V/M at 4CC.
    V/M were at 2011 4CC's, but they withdrew after the SD. That was the year that Tessa was still struggling with leg pains and had just gotten back onto the competitive ice after missing most of the season (Crone/Poirier won Canadian Nationals in their absence). They appeared at 4CC's, but after placing 1st in the SD ahead of Davis/White, they withdrew, but would re-appear at Worlds later that year.

http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00007384.htm

Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    For me Olympics, Worlds, Euros, GPF.
    The rest are the same, except Nationals which is a different story.

Custom Title
    Olympics
    Worlds
    GPF
    Euros
    4CC

Possible to switch around GPF and Euros due to the prestige and history of Euros, but with Asia emerging as a figure skating power and Europe kinda stagnating, I think the GPF field is more competitive in recent years.

Various nationals depend on the nation and the discipline (eg. US is traditionally stronger in women, Russia in men, ect.) Also in terms of how competitive the whole field is (e.g. Michelle Kwan's national wins are more amazing for me than, say, Patrick Chan's since Michelle was competing against people who could unseat her if she messed up, while Chan's competition was mainly international).

Custom Title
    For international competitions

Olympics
    Worlds

-big gap-

GPF
    Euros

-gap-

4CCs

-gap-

the rest

Some national competitions are more competitive than the international events depending on the skaters: Japan, recently (men and ladies). US in the Kwan, Cohen, Hughes and Kwan, Lipinski eras. Russian ladies looks to be dogfight next season with all of their up and comers.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4