Prestige of each competition? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Prestige of each competition?

CarneAsada

Medalist
Then again I ranked Olympics 4th on my personal list:yay: I'm certain most posters would disagree with that. [:slink:]

Worlds
GPF
Euros/4CC
Olympics
GP event
Nationals
Senior B
Lol. Olympics are much more prestigious than 4CC and most likely more prestigious than Euros. Besides, your favorite skater happens to be an Olympic gold medalist. I think she values that medal much more highly than her GPF/Worlds silvers or her Euros gold.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
Here's my go of it:

Olympics (personally, I find Worlds more prestigious but Olympics bring you into global attention in a way Worlds don't)
Worlds
Euros
GPF
4CC
Big federation (Japan, USA, Canada, Russia) Nationals (although this is to some degree dependent on discipline)
GP event
Senior B
Smaller federations nationals

I actually debated putting Big federation nationals over 4CC, I could probably be argued into doing so.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hype..hype...hype... That is the main reason I don't invest as much value into the Olympics which seem more interested in selling storied victories and as all Olympic events: Breaking Records. Meh

Honestly I kind of got off topic and turned this into my favorite events. While I agree that an Olympic gold may seem more prestigious I have heard NHL players say the Stanley Cup is more important to them then Olympic gold. I can only hope some figure skaters feel the same about Worlds. I prefer NHL playoffs to Olympics too.

This was my original post
Originally Posted by UnsaneLily87
Olympics
Worlds
GPF
Euro
4CC
National competitions
Assorted GP events
Senior B's

This is spot on but I wish it were:

Worlds
GPF
Euros/4CC
Olympics
GP event
Nationals
Senior B

I should have waited for this post:agree:
Here's my go of it:

Olympics (personally, I find Worlds more prestigious but Olympics bring you into global attention in a way Worlds don't)
Worlds
Euros
GPF
4CC
Big federation (Japan, USA, Canada, Russia) Nationals (although this is to some degree dependent on discipline)
GP event
Senior B
Smaller federations nationals

I actually debated putting Big federation nationals over 4CC, I could probably be argued into doing so.

Country
Russia
What thinks ISU.
Prize money for winner in single skating of ISU competitions:
Worlds - $45,000
GPF - $25,000
Euro - $20,000
GP Event - $18,000
4CC - $15,000
JrWorlds - $10,000
JGPF - $6,000
JGP Event - $2,000

It is order of prestige for ISU.

Of course, non-ISU OWG (ISU only organises by mandate of IOC) is first and much more prestige than Worlds.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
In terms of how I rank them personally:

Olympics (I mean, it's when you are most prolific for your country... the rest of the time the majority of the world isn't even following figure skating)
Worlds
GPF (it's the time when the top skaters of the season compete against each other, certainly you get top seeds competing against each other)
Japanese Nationals for singles/Russian Nationals for ladies
Euros (tends to be more competitive than 4CC, but prone to blah years -- I am aware this is more prestigious than Japanese or Russian Nationals, but it's usually much less competitive)
4CC (it's become a little less competitive over the years, especially this year with its proximity to the Olympics)
GP events (sometimes a competitor can luck out with a weak field and win... I mean, you look at Phaneuf winning Skate Canada with 159 points, or Pogorilya winning CoC this year, or I/M winning pairs at 2010 Skate Canada).
National competitions for other disciplines in the big 6 countries (with some disciplines, e.g. Pairs in China, Russia, and Canada, being a bit more competitive)
Team Event in Sochi (many top skaters in each discipline don't compete, e.g. Fernandez/Kim/Ten, so the competition isn't as competitive even when medals were on the line; it was also heavily favoured for US/Canada/Russia, and quite predictable)
World Team Trophy (it's more of a "fun" event, but it's still a time when the top skaters in the world face off, and the scores still count; several skaters have PBs from this event)
Junior Worlds (in singles, the field is often technically harder than a GP event, even if the PCS scores aren't as high; but obviously it's a junior level event)
Senior B/Finlandia/NRW
JGPF
JGP
National competitions in secondary countries or countries where the winner is by far the best skater in their discipline

Country
Russia
Team Event in Sochi (many top skaters in each discipline don't compete, e.g. Fernandez/Kim/Ten, so the competition isn't as competitive even when medals were on the line; it was also heavily favoured for US/Canada/Russia, and quite predictable)
Yes, favoured because all other teams had at least one weak discipline. But not absolutely. For example, Italy had weak only men, and if Italian pair and dance (Euro and Worlds champions in the same season!) couples would skate better - Italy could pretend on medal.
Nobody could predict that USA will pretend only on bronze before skating of Abbott and Wagner in SP, they both could skate better, especially Abbott.

Osmond skated relatively good in SP (there was not warranty on it).
Plushenko was ahead Chan in SP - unpredictable.
In Ladies only two really atrong skaters were not at Team Event - Yuna and Adelina. But who could predict that Adelina will be ahead Julia in Individuals? They were same level in Nats, Julia was ahead at Euro and much better at GP. Adelina could skate as at GPF or Worlds-2013, be at place about 10th and nobody would call her strong.

Team results look predictable after the competition, but they were not predictable before.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
That is the main problem with 4CC, even the federation don't take it as seriosuly as the european countries takes Euro. They send seldom their best, but those to whom they want to give experience, while in Europe normally the best ones are going.

There is also the issue of the timing and location of 4CC. US Nationals is usually within a week of Euros, and 4CC is several weeks after both, which may be too close to Worlds. The other problem is location; Euros competitors can usually take a train ride or short flight to the competition, whereas many 4CC competitors have to fly to the other side of the world to compete.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
I don't know, to me Olympics are less important results, because since it takes place every four years, it only shows the "best' on that one night and the judging always seems to be messed up. Generally anyone who has the talent to win at the Olympics also has the ability to win World titles, World medal, or the other championships a few times. If they could't then they just lucked out on the night in question.

My order but only because results taken from events that happen yearly show who is truly great, versus who lucked out, or just skated well that night.
Worlds
Grand Prix Final
Europeans
Olympics
etc

An Olympic medal can cap off a career that was otherwise great, Yuna Kim, Tessa & Scott, V/T, D/W, also if Mao or Michelle had been able to win. But anyone who has proven results (medals) at multiple events multiple times is light years ahead of someone who just won a the Olympics.

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
Wow..GPF has only been around since 1996

Olympics >>>> Worlds >>> GPF=Europeans>4continents>Grandprix>Nationals

The first 2 are definite but the rest can vary depending on what country you're coming from.

In my humble opinion, I think an Olympic title is worth at least or about 2 World titles. A world title is worth 2 GPF titles.

Country
Russia
An Olympic medal can cap off a career that was otherwise great, Yuna Kim, Tessa & Scott, V/T, D/W, also if Mao or Michelle had been able to win. But anyone who has proven results (medals) at multiple events multiple times is light years ahead of someone who just won a the Olympics.

"Who just won a the Olympics" - who?
Tara Lipinski was a Worlds Champion.
Adelina Sotnikova was JrWorlds Champion, twice Euro medalist, multiple medals of GP Events.
All the others Olympics medalists whom I remember, have many medals of GP and ISU Championships.

gotoschool

Medalist
I don't know, to me Olympics are less important results, because since it takes place every four years, it only shows the "best' on that one night and the judging always seems to be messed up. Generally anyone who has the talent to win at the Olympics also has the ability to win World titles, World medal, or the other championships a few times. If they could't then they just lucked out on the night in question.

My order but only because results taken from events that happen yearly show who is truly great, versus who lucked out, or just skated well that night.
Worlds
Grand Prix Final
Europeans
Olympics
etc

I agree with you about the Olympics in the present day because it has become more liable to corruption and score inflation / manipulation than Worlds or the Grand Prix Final, especially at Sochi. I have my own views on the scoring at Vancouver, but the placements there were accurate.

Worlds is also a better gauge of the perennial dominance of a skater because it is held every year. The Grand Prix Final also has a world series quality to it so that a skater must perform well at more than just one event, thereby emphasizing consistency. But, the Olympics is only one event held every 4 years. With the major exception of Yuna Kim, the last three winners, especially Sarah Hughes and Adelina Sotnikova (with 0 GPF Or World's Gold) , and to a lesser extent Shizuka Arakawa (1 Worlds Gold), do not have near the prestige or overall level of success as Michelle Kwan, Mao Asada or Irina Slutskaya, who have never won Olympic Gold but between them have 10 World's Gold and 9 GPF Gold. No offence to Sotnikova because it's not her fault, but in my opinion the Sochi scoring travesty has done a lot to tarnish the prestige of the Olympic Gold. I have nothing against Russian skaters because I loved Maria Butreskaya's 1999 World Championship FS to Gold, a great skater who didn't even medal in the Olympics, and Irina Slutskaya's inspiring Gold Medal FS performance in Worlds 2005.

1. Worlds
2. Grand Prix Final
3. Olympics
4. Europeans / 4CC
5. Nationals

StylishDreaming

Rinkside
My ranking:

1. Olympics
2. Worlds
3. GPF
4. Euros
5. 4CC
6. Nationals (depends on the particular country, of course, but this is my "on-average" placement...for instance, I'd say Japanese or American Nationals are above 4CC)
7. GP Events
8. Senior B comps

Country
Russia
I agree with you about the Olympics in the present day because it has become more liable to corruption and score inflation / manipulation than Worlds or the Grand Prix Final, especially at Sochi.
What special was in Sochi?

Men - both leaders (Hanyu and Chan) had serious mistakes, judges solved that Hanyu is higher. Hanyu and Chan were at the same level, so why not? All others were weaker than these leaders.

Ladies - three with very good skating. Yuna Kim skated, as for me, worse than Adelina and Caro. But Caro was third. Korean fans made scandal wanting Yuna be first - it is only their problem. I believe, skating of top-three was so close that any order of them is not a big mistake.

Pairs - 1st and 2nd places absolutely normal. Maybe 3rd and 4th may be made 4th and 3rd, but both these pairs had mistakes, so placing is normal.

Dance - V/M fans believe that they are better than D/W. In fact couples are very close, so no serious mistake in placing.

Scandal at SLC-2002 was much more serious, so nothing "especially at Sochi".
SLC-2002 is no doubt leader in "strange judging and scandals".

There were many non-obvious solutions at Worlds and GP.

Worlds:
3rd place of Caro at Worlds-2011 and 2014 - did she deserve 3rd, or in fact was 4th?
1st place of Chan with 2 deductions at Worlds-2013 in Canada. Home judging?

GP:
1st place of Alissa CZISNY with serious mistakes at Skate America-2011.
1st place of Kaetlyn OSMOND at Skate Canada-2012.
1st place of Mao ASADA at NHK Trophy-2012 (popped FS).
1st place of Lipnitskaia in Moscow 2013.
Home judging.

Duality

On the Ice
Dance - V/M fans believe that they are better than D/W. In fact couples are very close, so no serious mistake in placing.

I guess 90% of people (if we don't count USA) think that V\M were better.

Ladies - three with very good skating. Yuna Kim skated, as for me, worse than Adelina and Caro.

Agree with that. She should be the third.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
That is the main problem with 4CC, even the federation don't take it as seriosuly as the european countries takes Euro. They send seldom their best, but those to whom they want to give experience, while in Europe normally the best ones are going.

I think that's true, although it's more the case in Olympic years - in years like 2014 and 2010, I don't think any of the Canadian or American skaters going to Vancouver or Sochi were allowed to go to 4 Continents. But in the non-Olympic years, the top skaters do go to 4 Continents - for example, Virtue/Moir, Davis/White, etc. have been at 4CC several times.

Duality

On the Ice
I think that's true, although it's more the case in Olympic years - in years like 2014 and 2010, I don't think any of the Canadian or American skaters going to Vancouver or Sochi were allowed to go to 4 Continents. But in the non-Olympic years, the top skaters do go to 4 Continents - for example, Virtue/Moir, Davis/White, etc. have been at 4CC several times.

I guess that's true. Thouch Chan skipped both 2013 and 2014 FCC.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In some events like the Ladies at 4CC there is probably more competion at top then at Euro's. Without the Russians Ladies the rest of Europe with the exception of Kostner is weak while at 4CC you have the US and Japan and in a good year Canada.