Prestige of each competition? | Golden Skate

Prestige of each competition?

Tompson

Rinkside
Hi Im a newbie!
I have a question!
There are many comps in FS and major comps are
OLY, WLD, GPF, EURO, 4CC this 5 comps no doubt.
But how important is this each comp?
I always think 'OLY>>>>>>WLD>>>GPF>EURO>4CC'
Yes in regard of ranking point, EURO=4CC>GPF.
But to skaters it would be little different I think?
Give me your opinion pls. Sry 4 ma bad eng:yay:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
When comparing careers of the greats, only Olympics and Worlds matter. More GPF or 4CC would never be a tiebreaker when factoring in who is better. For example, no one argues that Irina is on par with Michelle because she won 4 GPFs while Michelle only won 1. I think it's fair too, because Worlds is where everyone is trying to peak, so you get to see the world's best when they are (presumably) in peak condition.

I think Euros might still be more prestigious than the Grand Prix final. It has tradition and history going for it. In contrast, Four Continents has still not really found its footing, with many top skaters opting out.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Yes, GPF should have more importance than Euros for example, but it actually doesn't, since both GPF and 4CC are relatively "new" competitions

colourmeblue

Rinkside
Strictly speaking, 4CC should have greater prestige than nationals, but for countries with extremely deep fields (eg. Japan), I am inclined to believe that the balance is shifted in the other direction (for the skaters, at least).

Tompson

Rinkside
Um..All European skaters think Euro>>>Gpf?
And I also have a question. Why Mr.Plushenko participate WC only 6times? His longevity is well known for everyone..But why he participated EURO far more?

aschiutza

On the Ice
Um..All European skaters think Euro>>>Gpf?
And I also have a question. Why Mr.Plushenko participate WC only 6times? His longevity is well known for everyone..But why he participated EURO far more?

Mainly because of his injuries and because Euro were before olympics, while world were after the oly.

aschiutza

On the Ice
I think Euros might still be more prestigious than the Grand Prix final. It has tradition and history going for it. In contrast, Four Continents has still not really found its footing, with many top skaters opting out.

The most of the skaters uses GP to win money and to test their programs, which most of the time haven't reached their potential.
GP is too much an invitational, seeded things were the luck plays a great role, so those getting to GPF are not always the best 6 skaters, but amixture between the best and those where the tactic of the federations played a great role. GPF is also not so releveant, because many skaters didn't peaked so early in the season.

Euro is an open competition, all against all. The federations tryes to send the best they have, so the competiton is always there, even if one year or other, for a discipline is very clear who will win.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Olympics
Worlds
GPF
Euro
4CC
National competitions
Assorted GP events
Senior B's

This is spot on but I wish it were:

Worlds
GPF
Euros/4CC
Olympics
GP event
Nationals
Senior B

That's my level of interest. With the exception of Russian Nationals probably worthy of honorable mention and arguably a top three event at least IMO.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
The prestige of Nationals varies in the country. Compare Japan or Russia or the United States where it's often difficult for a single skater to dominate because the field is comparatively deep to countries like Italy or Great Britain, which often only has one or two skaters that dominate the country.

Otherwise:
Olympics (above Worlds as it's an only every four years thing, and you must often show longevity for your country to send you)
Worlds
Euros
GPF
4CC
GP or Nationals depending on country's depth
Senior B

aschiutza

On the Ice

That is the main problem with 4CC, even the federation don't take it as seriosuly as the european countries takes Euro. They send seldom their best, but those to whom they want to give experience, while in Europe normally the best ones are going.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
That is the main problem with 4CC, even the federation don't take it as seriosuly as the european countries takes Euro. They send seldom their best, but those to whom they want to give experience, while in Europe normally the best ones are going.

exactly, also attribute that to location and time difference where skaters have to constantly travel on a longer distance
4CC hasn't reached yet the prestige of Euros, US and Canad mostly send their 2nd tier or skaters they want experience

MiRé

Match Penalty
I would put..

Olympics
Worlds
GPF
GP
Euros
4CC
Senior B
Nationals

I would put Senior B in front of Nationals since it's still an international competition.

Antilopa

On the Ice
I would put..

Olympics
Worlds
GPF
GP
Euros
4CC
Senior B
Nationals

I would put Senior B in front of Nationals since it's still an international competition.
nonsense, Russian, Canadian, USA and Japan number 1 is far more important in judges' eyes than winner of Senior B

MiRé

Match Penalty
nonsense, Russian, Canadian, USA and Japan number 1 is far more important in judges' eyes than winner of Senior B

you do realize, that's only 4 out of 30 nations that participated at the Olympics, and 4 most competitive "nationals." What about other 26? Are they as competitive as the 4's? I don't think so, hence why I think Senior B should be somewhat above nationals. Even if it's a small competition, it at least has a pool of athletes around the world.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
you do realize, that's only 4 out of 30 nations that participated at the Olympics, and 4 most competitive "nationals." What about other 26? Are they as competitive as the 4's? I don't think so, hence why I think Senior B should be somewhat above nationals. Even if it's a small competition, it at least has a pool of athletes around the world.

You can't discount the fact that the Worlds podium will likely be influenced by what happens at the National events though. Can you say that about Senior B events?

If you took the top competitors from all Senior B events this year would you be able to field a stronger competition than Russian Nats for example?

Then again I ranked Olympics 4th on my personal list:yay: I'm certain most posters would disagree with that. [:slink:]

Worlds
GPF
Euros/4CC
Olympics
GP event
Nationals
Senior B

MiRé

Match Penalty
You can't discount the fact that the Worlds podium will likely be influenced by what happens at the National events though. Can you say that about Senior B events?

If you took the top competitors from all Senior B events this year would you be able to field a stronger competition than Russian Nats for example?

I can ask you the same question, would you say Belgium's nationals is more competitive than Golden Spin? Not all nationals are as competitive, if not more than senior B.