Olympics
    Worlds
    GPF
    GP
    Euros
    4CC
    Senior B
    Nationals

I would put Senior B in front of Nationals since it's still an international competition.
    nonsense, Russian, Canadian, USA and Japan number 1 is far more important in judges' eyes than winner of Senior B

Quote Originally Posted by Antilopa View Post
    nonsense, Russian, Canadian, USA and Japan number 1 is far more important in judges' eyes than winner of Senior B
    you do realize, that's only 4 out of 30 nations that participated at the Olympics, and 4 most competitive "nationals." What about other 26? Are they as competitive as the 4's? I don't think so, hence why I think Senior B should be somewhat above nationals. Even if it's a small competition, it at least has a pool of athletes around the world.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Melon View Post
    you do realize, that's only 4 out of 30 nations that participated at the Olympics, and 4 most competitive "nationals." What about other 26? Are they as competitive as the 4's? I don't think so, hence why I think Senior B should be somewhat above nationals. Even if it's a small competition, it at least has a pool of athletes around the world.
    You can't discount the fact that the Worlds podium will likely be influenced by what happens at the National events though. Can you say that about Senior B events?

If you took the top competitors from all Senior B events this year would you be able to field a stronger competition than Russian Nats for example?

Then again I ranked Olympics 4th on my personal list I'm certain most posters would disagree with that. []

Worlds
    GPF
    Euros/4CC
    Olympics
    GP event
    Nationals
    Senior B

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    You can't discount the fact that the Worlds podium will likely be influenced by what happens at the National events though. Can you say that about Senior B events?

If you took the top competitors from all Senior B events this year would you be able to field a stronger competition than Russian Nats for example?
    I can ask you the same question, would you say Belgium's nationals is more competitive than Golden Spin? Not all nationals are as competitive, if not more than senior B.

Medalist
    Then how about
    USA/Canada/Japan/Russia nationals
    senior B
    other nationals.....?

On the Ice
    Then again I ranked Olympics 4th on my personal list I'm certain most posters would disagree with that. []

Worlds
    GPF
    Euros/4CC
    Olympics
    GP event
    Nationals
    Senior B
    I'm curious to know your reasoning behind ranking the Olympics so low.

Custard Title

Worlds
    GPF
    Euros/4CC
    Olympics
    GP event
    Nationals
    Senior B
    Lol. Olympics are much more prestigious than 4CC and most likely more prestigious than Euros. Besides, your favorite skater happens to be an Olympic gold medalist. I think she values that medal much more highly than her GPF/Worlds silvers or her Euros gold.

Here's my go of it:

Olympics (personally, I find Worlds more prestigious but Olympics bring you into global attention in a way Worlds don't)
    Worlds
    Euros
    GPF
    4CC
    Big federation (Japan, USA, Canada, Russia) Nationals (although this is to some degree dependent on discipline)
    GP event
    Senior B
    Smaller federations nationals

I actually debated putting Big federation nationals over 4CC, I could probably be argued into doing so.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Hype..hype...hype... That is the main reason I don't invest as much value into the Olympics which seem more interested in selling storied victories and as all Olympic events: Breaking Records. Meh

Honestly I kind of got off topic and turned this into my favorite events. While I agree that an Olympic gold may seem more prestigious I have heard NHL players say the Stanley Cup is more important to them then Olympic gold. I can only hope some figure skaters feel the same about Worlds. I prefer NHL playoffs to Olympics too.

This was my original post
    Originally Posted by UnsaneLily87
    Olympics
    Worlds
    GPF
    Euro
    4CC
    National competitions
    Assorted GP events
    Senior B's

This is spot on but I wish it were:

Worlds
    GPF
    Euros/4CC
    Olympics
    GP event
    Nationals
    Senior B

I should have waited for this post
    Here's my go of it:

Olympics (personally, I find Worlds more prestigious but Olympics bring you into global attention in a way Worlds don't)
    Worlds
    Euros
    GPF
    4CC
    Big federation (Japan, USA, Canada, Russia) Nationals (although this is to some degree dependent on discipline)
    GP event
    Senior B
    Smaller federations nationals

I actually debated putting Big federation nationals over 4CC, I could probably be argued into doing so.

Custom Title
    What thinks ISU.
    Prize money for winner in single skating of ISU competitions:
    Worlds - $45,000
    GPF - $25,000
    Euro - $20,000
    GP Event - $18,000
    4CC - $15,000
    JrWorlds - $10,000
    JGPF - $6,000
    JGP Event - $2,000

It is order of prestige for ISU.

Of course, non-ISU OWG (ISU only organises by mandate of IOC) is first and much more prestige than Worlds.

Custom Title
    In terms of how I rank them personally:

Olympics (I mean, it's when you are most prolific for your country... the rest of the time the majority of the world isn't even following figure skating)
    Worlds
    GPF (it's the time when the top skaters of the season compete against each other, certainly you get top seeds competing against each other)
    Japanese Nationals for singles/Russian Nationals for ladies
    Euros (tends to be more competitive than 4CC, but prone to blah years -- I am aware this is more prestigious than Japanese or Russian Nationals, but it's usually much less competitive)
    4CC (it's become a little less competitive over the years, especially this year with its proximity to the Olympics)
    GP events (sometimes a competitor can luck out with a weak field and win... I mean, you look at Phaneuf winning Skate Canada with 159 points, or Pogorilya winning CoC this year, or I/M winning pairs at 2010 Skate Canada).
    National competitions for other disciplines in the big 6 countries (with some disciplines, e.g. Pairs in China, Russia, and Canada, being a bit more competitive)
    Team Event in Sochi (many top skaters in each discipline don't compete, e.g. Fernandez/Kim/Ten, so the competition isn't as competitive even when medals were on the line; it was also heavily favoured for US/Canada/Russia, and quite predictable)
    World Team Trophy (it's more of a "fun" event, but it's still a time when the top skaters in the world face off, and the scores still count; several skaters have PBs from this event)
    Junior Worlds (in singles, the field is often technically harder than a GP event, even if the PCS scores aren't as high; but obviously it's a junior level event)
    Senior B/Finlandia/NRW
    JGPF
    JGP
    National competitions in secondary countries or countries where the winner is by far the best skater in their discipline

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Team Event in Sochi (many top skaters in each discipline don't compete, e.g. Fernandez/Kim/Ten, so the competition isn't as competitive even when medals were on the line; it was also heavily favoured for US/Canada/Russia, and quite predictable)
    Yes, favoured because all other teams had at least one weak discipline. But not absolutely. For example, Italy had weak only men, and if Italian pair and dance (Euro and Worlds champions in the same season!) couples would skate better - Italy could pretend on medal.
    Nobody could predict that USA will pretend only on bronze before skating of Abbott and Wagner in SP, they both could skate better, especially Abbott.

Osmond skated relatively good in SP (there was not warranty on it).
    Plushenko was ahead Chan in SP - unpredictable.
    In Ladies only two really atrong skaters were not at Team Event - Yuna and Adelina. But who could predict that Adelina will be ahead Julia in Individuals? They were same level in Nats, Julia was ahead at Euro and much better at GP. Adelina could skate as at GPF or Worlds-2013, be at place about 10th and nobody would call her strong.

Team results look predictable after the competition, but they were not predictable before.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aschiutza View Post
    That is the main problem with 4CC, even the federation don't take it as seriosuly as the european countries takes Euro. They send seldom their best, but those to whom they want to give experience, while in Europe normally the best ones are going.
    There is also the issue of the timing and location of 4CC. US Nationals is usually within a week of Euros, and 4CC is several weeks after both, which may be too close to Worlds. The other problem is location; Euros competitors can usually take a train ride or short flight to the competition, whereas many 4CC competitors have to fly to the other side of the world to compete.

Custom Title
    I don't know, to me Olympics are less important results, because since it takes place every four years, it only shows the "best' on that one night and the judging always seems to be messed up. Generally anyone who has the talent to win at the Olympics also has the ability to win World titles, World medal, or the other championships a few times. If they could't then they just lucked out on the night in question.

My order but only because results taken from events that happen yearly show who is truly great, versus who lucked out, or just skated well that night.
    Worlds
    Grand Prix Final
    Europeans
    Olympics
    etc

An Olympic medal can cap off a career that was otherwise great, Yuna Kim, Tessa & Scott, V/T, D/W, also if Mao or Michelle had been able to win. But anyone who has proven results (medals) at multiple events multiple times is light years ahead of someone who just won a the Olympics.

Custom Title
    Wow..GPF has only been around since 1996

Olympics >>>> Worlds >>> GPF=Europeans>4continents>Grandprix>Nationals

The first 2 are definite but the rest can vary depending on what country you're coming from.

In my humble opinion, I think an Olympic title is worth at least or about 2 World titles. A world title is worth 2 GPF titles.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast