Prestige of each competition? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Prestige of each competition?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In some events like the Ladies at 4CC there is probably more competion at top then at Euro's. Without the Russians Ladies the rest of Europe with the exception of Kostner is weak while at 4CC you have the US and Japan and in a good year Canada.

Yes the Russians are a force but having three of them at Euro's makes the potential for turning Russian Nationals into just an elimination round for a Euros podium. That's kind of exciting for some fans. There will be more diversity at 4cc but I'm not sure that will translate into more talent. I guess we'll see come Worlds where the best competition is. How many Podium finishers from Euros vs 4cc make it into the top 5 at WC? :popcorn:

My biggest interest in 4cc this year may be in Park So-Youn!! :popcorn: :soda:

Country
Russia
In some events like the Ladies at 4CC there is probably more competion at top then at Euro's. Without the Russians Ladies the rest of Europe with the exception of Kostner is weak while at 4CC you have the US and Japan and in a good year Canada.
Yes. Kostner, Russian Ladies and at Euro-2013 Marchei. All others at Euro-2013 and 2014 were weak. Unfortunately no Korpi (because of unjury), degraded V.Helgesson and Gedevanishvili.
Meite (who did not become really stronger) is now European leader after Kostner and Russians.

But .. at 4CC-2014 winner was Murakami, who newer in season was ahead Kostner (even at GP China, where Kostner had worst skating of the season) and newer in season was ahead Russians (except at Rostelecom Cup Gosviani with not so good skating, and Gosviani this season was not in Russian top). Second was Miyahara with about the same situation.

Euro had Kostner and Russians, 4CC - only skaters who were below Kostner and Russians.

Country
Russia
I think that's true, although it's more the case in Olympic years - in years like 2014 and 2010, I don't think any of the Canadian or American skaters going to Vancouver or Sochi were allowed to go to 4 Continents. But in the non-Olympic years, the top skaters do go to 4 Continents - for example, Virtue/Moir, Davis/White, etc. have been at 4CC several times.

Yes, 4CC is weakest at olympic years because it is too close in time to Olympics.

At 4CC-2013:
In Men won Reynolds (it means not too high level of competition).
In Ladies top 3 were Japanese including Mao and Akiko, but no Ashley. Level close to Euro with Caro, Adelina and Liza.
In Pairs - D/R and M-T/M, of course weaker than Euro (V/T and S/S).
In Dance - both D/W and V/M, highest level.

At 4CC-2012:
In Men - chan and Takahashi. Strong level.
In Ladies - won Wagner, 4th at Worlds, all others from 4CC were lower than Wagner at Worlds. Europeans got gold and silver at Worlds.
In Pairs - pairs from 4CC (China, Japan, others) were below V/T and S/S at Worlds.
In Dance - both D/W and V/M, highest level.

At 4CC-2011:
In Men - no Chan, who became World Champion. May be a bit weaker than Euro-2011.
In Ladies - Ando won both 4CC and Worlds, level of 4CC comparable to Euro or maybe a bit higher.
In Pairs - non-European pairs were 3rd, 6th and below at Worlds. Euro was stronger.
In Dance - D/W were 1st both at 4CC and Worlds, Shibs 2nd at 4CC and 3rd at Worlds, no V/M at 4CC.

We see - at 2011-2013 Euro was stronger in Pairs, 4CC in Dance. In Men and Ladies situation may differ from year to year.

treeloving

Medalist
I think Olympic is overate ; although it is great attention drawer for the sport. I would rank anyone who win from well skated world above Olympic champion who win in the competition with a lot of splat fests.

aschiutza

On the Ice
I don't see Olympic as being overrated at all. This is a big chance for askater to win fans and attention from around the world and from casual fans who normally won't look after seeing worlds.

The most athletes we know from other sports, which we normally don't follow, are those winning big at olypmpics.

The exceptions are mostly in the sports who are very loved all the time, like tennis, soccer and basketball. But for a small sport, olympics is essential.

MiRé

Match Penalty
What special was in Sochi?

Men - both leaders (Hanyu and Chan) had serious mistakes, judges solved that Hanyu is higher. Hanyu and Chan were at the same level, so why not? All others were weaker than these leaders.

Ladies - three with very good skating. Yuna Kim skated, as for me, worse than Adelina and Caro. But Caro was third. Korean fans made scandal wanting Yuna be first - it is only their problem. I believe, skating of top-three was so close that any order of them is not a big mistake.

Pairs - 1st and 2nd places absolutely normal. Maybe 3rd and 4th may be made 4th and 3rd, but both these pairs had mistakes, so placing is normal.

Dance - V/M fans believe that they are better than D/W. In fact couples are very close, so no serious mistake in placing.

Scandal at SLC-2002 was much more serious, so nothing "especially at Sochi".
SLC-2002 is no doubt leader in "strange judging and scandals".

There were many non-obvious solutions at Worlds and GP.

Worlds:
3rd place of Caro at Worlds-2011 and 2014 - did she deserve 3rd, or in fact was 4th?
1st place of Chan with 2 deductions at Worlds-2013 in Canada. Home judging?

GP:
1st place of Alissa CZISNY with serious mistakes at Skate America-2011.
1st place of Kaetlyn OSMOND at Skate Canada-2012.
1st place of Mao ASADA at NHK Trophy-2012 (popped FS).
1st place of Lipnitskaia in Moscow 2013.
Home judging.

Read the title of this thread

Country
Russia
I don't see Olympic as being overrated at all. This is a big chance for askater to win fans and attention from around the world and from casual fans who normally won't look after seeing worlds.

The most athletes we know from other sports, which we normally don't follow, are those winning big at olypmpics.

The exceptions are mostly in the sports who are very loved all the time, like tennis, soccer and basketball. But for a small sport, olympics is essential.
Yes.
Olympics for athletes is top, on which they rize for 4 years.
We've seen at Olympics-2014 many excellent programs - Stolbova-Klimov, Kostner, Sotnikova, Asada (in FS) etc. skated unbelievably good.
It is very nervous - we've seen mistakes of Savchenko-Szolkovy, Asada (in SP), Chan, Hanyu.
Athletes risk their health - we've seen Yuna Kim who skated worse than at Worlds-2013 because of injury.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
At 4CC-2011:
In Men - no Chan, who became World Champion. May be a bit weaker than Euro-2011.
In Ladies - Ando won both 4CC and Worlds, level of 4CC comparable to Euro or maybe a bit higher.
In Pairs - non-European pairs were 3rd, 6th and below at Worlds. Euro was stronger.
In Dance - D/W were 1st both at 4CC and Worlds, Shibs 2nd at 4CC and 3rd at Worlds, no V/M at 4CC.

V/M were at 2011 4CC's, but they withdrew after the SD. That was the year that Tessa was still struggling with leg pains and had just gotten back onto the competitive ice after missing most of the season (Crone/Poirier won Canadian Nationals in their absence). They appeared at 4CC's, but after placing 1st in the SD ahead of Davis/White, they withdrew, but would re-appear at Worlds later that year.

http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00007384.htm

Alba

Record Breaker
For me Olympics, Worlds, Euros, GPF.
The rest are the same, except Nationals which is a different story.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Olympics
Worlds
GPF
Euros
4CC

Possible to switch around GPF and Euros due to the prestige and history of Euros, but with Asia emerging as a figure skating power and Europe kinda stagnating, I think the GPF field is more competitive in recent years.

Various nationals depend on the nation and the discipline (eg. US is traditionally stronger in women, Russia in men, ect.) Also in terms of how competitive the whole field is (e.g. Michelle Kwan's national wins are more amazing for me than, say, Patrick Chan's since Michelle was competing against people who could unseat her if she messed up, while Chan's competition was mainly international).

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For international competitions

Olympics
Worlds

-big gap-

GPF
Euros

-gap-

4CCs

-gap-

the rest

Some national competitions are more competitive than the international events depending on the skaters: Japan, recently (men and ladies). US in the Kwan, Cohen, Hughes and Kwan, Lipinski eras. Russian ladies looks to be dogfight next season with all of their up and comers.