Will More Dance & Pairs Teams Split? Some Sources Say Yes. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Will More Dance & Pairs Teams Split? Some Sources Say Yes.

96skiluvr

On the Ice
it doesn't matter because she is getting taller by the day
their partnership will end sooner or later

For the love of god let it go! Why do you feel a compulsive need to persist like this? Unless you're BFFLs with Stepanova, your claim that she's "getting taller by the day" is just a rumor you invented. Of course, your burning hate for Stepanova makes me think that you're not friends with her...
Stepanova is also 18, and just a few months away from 19; most girls are done growing by 16 or so, therefore your claim that she's continuing to grow is again false.
Can you PLEASE, for the love of god, stop spamming every single thread with false claims like these?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Skater ladies often grow later, because they may severy restrict their food intake when they are young. Consider the case of Dan Zhang, not to mention Lucinda Ruh, both of whom grew in their mid 20's.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I wish R/T left Gorshkov instead of splitting up....they seemed to have been stuck in a rut for awhile, but it seems to me that sticking with Gorshkov was the real problem behind their stagnation.

lmarie086

Medalist
R/T just never gelled for me. I far preferred Riazanova when she skated with Guerrerio (? I never could spell it for some reason) so I will be happy to see them back together if that is true. There was a recent photo of them together on Instagram with a caption along the lines of "together again!" so I assume it is for real. And this is one I'm happy about; P/G had star power IMO. Excited to see them together again.

Devidas has been talking about retiring after this season for a while now. His dream, from what I gather, was always to be able to represent Lithuania, and he was finally able to accomplish that in Sochi (his partner at the time of the Vancouver games, Copely, was denied Lithuanian citizenship so they were not able to compete). I've read that Tobias has been looking for a partner for next season for awhile now.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
I wish R/T left Gorshkov instead of splitting up....they seemed to have been stuck in a rut for awhile, but it seems to me that sticking with Gorshkov was the real problem behind their stagnation.

Anyone know what the deal is with Gorshkov? Denkova and Staviski did not part well with him and I think Domnina and Shabakin weren't happy as well. Barantsev I think blames him for what happened with him and Romaniuta.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Firstly, well done to the Mods for moving the comments that started this discussion out of the "I/K split" thread and into this new thread.

:clap: :points:

However, I was just wondering if you realised that those original comments are also still in the other thread...

R/T just never gelled for me. I far preferred Riazanova when she skated with Guerrerio (? I never could spell it for some reason) so I will be happy to see them back together if that is true.

I never saw Riazanova and Guerreiro the first time around (the first time I watched a Junior competition was only a couple of years ago), so I can't really comment about which partner she gelled better with.

Funnily enough, Jonathon's surname is one of the names I do not struggle with. But, there again, being a fan of motorbike racing, I am used to seeing Spanish names on a regular basis! The ones I struggle the most with are Tatjana V (which way round do the "z" and the "s" go?), Elena I (which way around do the "i" and the "y" go?) and the Lithuanian guy who we are currently discussing (which is ironic, given that my middle name is "David", the English version of his first name!)

Devidas has been talking about retiring after this season for a while now. His dream, from what I gather, was always to be able to represent Lithuania, and he was finally able to accomplish that in Sochi (his partner at the time of the Vancouver games, Copely, was denied Lithuanian citizenship so they were not able to compete). I've read that Tobias has been looking for a partner for next season for awhile now.

Mmmm. That's disappointing. Although he is not one of the top Ice Dancers around, Deividas is clearly one of the better ones. So, I thought he would have had more ambitions than to just go to the Olympics.

For me, Stagniunas / Tobias had the potential to go on and get into the Top 10 in the World, which would be a great achievement for a small country like Lithuania. So, I am surprised that Deividas did not share that belief.

Oh well! His loss.

CaroLiza_fan

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
AFAIR, Jonathon's father's name is Portuguese, not Spanish.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
AFAIR, Jonathon's father's name is Portuguese, not Spanish.

Ah. Thank you for the info Doris!

Sorry, about that. Portuguese and Spanish surnames do tend to be quite similar, so it can be easy for foreigners to confuse them... (That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it! ;) :biggrin: )

Mmmm. Portugal. Now there is a country you don't hear about skaters coming from. I just had a look at the ISU Bio lists, and the only Portuguese skater they have is Giovanna ALMEIDA LETO in the Ladies singles, and that was a while ago!

I know it won't happen as they both have Russian citizenship, but wouldn't it be great to see Portugal enter Ice Dancing with an established couple like Ekaterina and Jonathon...

CaroLiza_fan

tulosai

Record Breaker
Skater ladies often grow later, because they may severy restrict their food intake when they are young. Consider the case of Dan Zhang, not to mention Lucinda Ruh, both of whom grew in their mid 20's.

This is true but the vast majority of girls (skaters included) are done growing by the age of 18. Even among female skaters, I'd say the percentage that are done growing by age 19 is higher than 95%; among the non-elite athlete population at large it truly is close to 100%.

Sky_fly also fails to list any sources that say she is still growing. She has vaguely alluded to some comments the coach made last summer but has not even cited anything for that; she has not (to my knowledge) offered any more recent claims, but instead is piggybacking off one comment made almost a year ago now.

Furthermore, skyfly is not realistic about the height difference that is needed in dance to be successful. While she clearly finds it to be more aesthetically appealing when couples have a larger height difference, many couples can and do succeed, even in the new system, with relatively small height differences (at least as skyfly would define them). One example? Tessa and Scott.

desertskates

Medalist
Wow :eek:
All these dance teams and citizenship issues kind of make me dizzy. Glad I'm already sitting down.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but most of the names / teams appear to be Russian or from former Soviet states. Are they in rebuilding mode again? Are some of these partly affected by the I/K split? To what extent is the Russian Skating Federation behind some of these splits? Are they all trying to catch up with the North American teams now? It seems that the sudden appearance of all three Canadian teams (including two lesser-known ones) in worlds top 10 and the consistency of the Americans may have contributed to some shuffling (and may be a sign that they're not into B/S). Just my thought from what little I've read of it. Although I'm sure that no teams would split unless (1) they were not gaining traction / progress, or (2) there were already deep-seated issues within the teams.

azcalder

Rinkside
For me, Stagniunas / Tobias had the potential to go on and get into the Top 10 in the World, which would be a great achievement for a small country like Lithuania. So, I am surprised that Deividas did not share that belief.

Lithuania was well represented from the mid 1990's to 2002 by ice dancers Margarita Drobiazko/Povilas Vanagas. They were 3 time GPF bronze medalists, 3 time European bronze medalists and 2000 World bronze medalists. They retired after the 2002 Olympics, but returned to compete again in 2006. In 2002, they placed 5th and filed a petition stating the 2 teams ahead of them fell and weren't penalized. Personally, they were the team that first made ice dancing a consistent favorite discipline for me.