Canadians are best dads | Golden Skate

Canadians are best dads

For LADskater: According to a study reported in the Toronto Globe and Mail, fathers in Canada spend more time with their children than do fathers in any of the other countries tested. Also, they do more housework, freeing their wives to spend more time with the children.

The U.S. was second, and Italy was last (out of eight Western countries in the study).:)

Mathman

R

Rebecca

I don't suppose that you would have the date that this article was posted? I'd be curious as to what their methodology was, exactly.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Rebecca:

Information was probably gathered during one of our recession periods - we had quite a lot of unemployment for awhile - dad's likely had some spare time to spend with their children. I don't know about now - thing's have improved somewhat.

R

Rebecca

Ladskater said:
Rebecca:

Information was probably gathered during one of our recession periods - we had quite a lot of unemployment for awhile - dad's likely had some spare time to spend with their children. I don't know about now - thing's have improved somewhat.

Thanks.

I don't suppose that either of you know who authored it? I wouldn't mind reading the original research. Anything to avoid reading what I should be ...

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Rebecca said:
Thanks.

I don't suppose that either of you know who authored it? I wouldn't mind reading the original research. Anything to avoid reading what I should be ...
Here is the link. The data was collected in 1998, so this has nothing to do with the recession.

R

Rebecca

Ptichka said:
Here is the link. The data was collected in 1998, so this has nothing to do with the recession.

Thanks a lot. I'll pick it apart after my nap ;) Or agree with it. Either or.

bleuchick

On the Ice
Well, I am not suprised because (family + work) is such a tricky issue in my area of work.

I work in the financial world as a trader and I think women have it bad. I mean to get a maternity leave of 1 year(federal government legislation) seems like the best way to spend time with the baby but at the same time it may be a setback to your career goals. You may come back 1 year later and find your job gone.

Perhaps, this is why the Canadian men are taking on more family responsibilities. To help their wives who don't want to be left behind in their careers.

Last edited: