Youtube Videos? | Golden Skate

Youtube Videos?

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Does anyone does know what happens to certain skating videos? There was a specific video on Youtube of Yulia's long program from the European Championships that had well over 1 million views. It was approaching 1.7 million the last time I looked a couple of weeks ago. Now that I have a new computer I went looking for it an it's gone. Also a few other videos of other skaters are gone too.

Alba

Record Breaker
Does anyone does know what happens to certain skating videos? There was a specific video on Youtube of Yulia's long program from the European Championships that had well over 1 million views. It was approaching 1.7 million the last time I looked a couple of weeks ago. Now that I have a new computer I went looking for it an it's gone. Also a few other videos of other skaters are gone too.

Which broadcasting was the one from the European?

pamela

Rinkside
Usually youtube takes them down, sometimes the users have 3 strikes so they take the whole account down... Other times you just cant watch the video bc its geoblocked (use hola! for this).
It has happened to me that at first theres no copyright infrigement and a couple of weeks later there is, so it can be geoblocked or not available at all (like the olympics videos). It varies... But never ever the uploader takes them down.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Sometimes the uploader takes down videos if they get a strike and think the particular video is a risk for a second strike.

Panpie

On the Ice
Keep in mind that almost all sporting events on Youtube are probably copyright infringement, since the videos are not usually posted by any official entity that has permission to post the sporting event to its own Youtube channel. Whether almost any sports video stays on Youtube is a matter of whether the copyright holder notices and requests/demands the video be removed.

It seems that if an event is several years old, the videos are more likely to stay on Youtube, probably because the entity that might claim infringement is either unaware or is aware but chooses not to pursue infringement claims. More recent events seem to be more likely to have videos taken down. Also, some entities are sticklers about keeping their videos off Youtube, no matter how long ago the event.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The IOC scrubs Olympic videos back to the year dot.

USFSA is tough on Skate America vids.

Any piece with music by the Beatles or John Lennon is at risk (Yoko Ono)

Prince is aggressive about removing sound from videos.

Skating videos are particularly vulnerable because not only the original broadcaster can censor them, as can skating federations who grant the rights to the videos; claims to the music can be exercised by the lyricist, the composer, or the musicisn who performs the piece. And the skater, too, has a claim. Make of it what you will, but until he retired from skating, Stéphane Lambiel's Red Cat program was unavailable.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Most are. Uploaders create shadow pseud accounts just to upload questionable videos faster than youtube's software can find them. However, if you are a fan celebrating the increasing page views of your favorite skater's best performance, and that performance disappears, it is disappointing.

Panpie

On the Ice
Yes, that is true about the music. Some artists/record companies are far more aggressive about pursuing copyright infringement claims than others.

As far as Stéphane's infamous red cat program, My memory is not the most reliable, but I used to participate on Lambiel's official forum. I think what happened is that he requested fans to not post it after someone had. That person (or those persons) abided by his wishes, and as far as I know, did not post the videos again. I don't think Stéphane had any type of intellectual property claim. He just did not like the program, just as Yagudin probably can't stand the banana program. In the meantime, as sometimes (often?) happens I think some other fans had probably downloaded or copied videos before they were removed from YouTube. They may have passed on the video to others or just kept it themselves. Now, the red cat video is up on Youtube again because either the fans think enough time has passed that Stéphane doesn't care, or because the person who posted it is unaware that Lambiel doesn't want it posted. My guess would be that Stéphane would not want the video posted, but that he really can't do anything other than request it be taken down. I don't think either the poster(s) or Youtube are under any legal obligation to take the video down just because Lambiel may not want it there. Of course, I am not a copyright/intellectual property expert.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
That's why I haven't deleted the Sochi Olympics skating from my DVR yet. It's nowhere to be found online in its entirety, so I'm hanging on to it as long as possible.

A related question: Do skaters have to pay rights fees or anything like that to skate to certain pieces of music? This would mostly come into play for exhibition programs, but with vocals being allowed in singles now, it may become much more of an issue.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
When you upload to youtube, you check that you have gotten the ok of the performer, so a skater who hated a particular performance could request that it be removed. I do not know for sure that it ever has happened, but it could.

Last edited:

Panpie

On the Ice
When you upload to youtube, you check athat you have gotten the ok of the performer, so a skater who hated a particular performance could request that it be removed. I do not know for sure that it ever has happened, but it could.

I think that Stéphane's request was only to his forum and not to Youtube. I am not certain of that, however. He didn't personally go on the forum to make the request, but one of the moderators sent word from him that he did not like the video and did not want it posted on Youtube. My guess is that he may not be aware the cat video is back on Youtube again. I doubt that he's changed his mind about disliking the video. I suppose if he became aware of it, he would make a request to Youtube to have the video removed. I don't know Lambiel personally, however. That's just my supposition.

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
That's why I haven't deleted the Sochi Olympics skating from my DVR yet. It's nowhere to be found online in its entirety, so I'm hanging on to it as long as possible.

A related question: Do skaters have to pay rights fees or anything like that to skate to certain pieces of music? This would mostly come into play for exhibition programs, but with vocals being allowed in singles now, it may become much more of an issue.

Skaters do not pay the licensing fee - the venue pays that.

Interestingly, neither Yoko Ono or any of the Beatles have any say in what their music is used for, because they do not own the rights to their music. They signed away publishing rights when they were younger and trying to avoid hefty taxes and then Michael Jackson bought the rights to more than half the Beatles catalog of music, as well as music of other artists like Eminem, Bob Dylan, Elvis. It was only after he passed that the executors of his estate granted licensing rights to use those songs, such as "The Long and Winding Road" for a car commercial, Cirque du Soleil, etc., since part of their job is to see that the estate is protected and grows.

Panpie

On the Ice
Skaters do not pay the licensing fee - the venue pays that.

Interestingly, neither Yoko Ono or any of the Beatles have any say in what their music is used for, because they do not own the rights to their music. They signed away publishing rights when they were younger and trying to avoid hefty taxes and then Michael Jackson bought the rights to more than half the Beatles catalog of music, as well as music of other artists like Eminem, Bob Dylan, Elvis. It was only after he passed that the executors of his estate granted licensing rights to use those songs, such as "The Long and Winding Road" for a car commercial, Cirque du Soleil, etc., since part of their job is to see that the estate is protected and grows.

I think I read somewhere that Paul McCartney was a bit miffed when Michael Jackson bought the rights to the Beatles catalog. I think he had told MJ that would be a nice way to make some money but did not expect him to buy rights to the Beatles' music. My memory is pretty fuzzy on that sort of thing, however.

You are right that it is not always the original songwriter who has the publishing rights to the music. A primer from a couple of years ago: http://alterandkendrick.com/protecting-your-musical-copyrights/what-are-music-publishing-rights/

When you upload to youtube, you check that you have gotten the ok of the performer, so a skater who hated a particular performance could request that it be removed. I do not know for sure that it ever has happened, but it could.

Line Haddad asked me to remove one of her program I uploaded on YT. I agree the quality wasn't the best but it's nowhere else. She said she would latter add it herself.