Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Audiences

Custom Title
    I seem to remember that Sweden has got lots of postitive comments about its skating audiences for ALL skaters.

^ That's nice to hear. I did enjoy the most recent Worlds from Sweden & that they sang each National anthem of the gold medalists in each discipline.

Custom Title
    JAPAN.

No contest. Wherever the Japanese fans travel to in the world, they enthusiastically support the sport of skating and make the skaters feel so welcome and appreciated.

Japan, Canada and France!!!

Tripping on the Podium
    It seems most people are voting for Japan, I really don't have a preference, but I always get distracted a little by all the face masks in the audiences in Japan and other Asian countries. As a health care worker I don't enjoy wearing a mask when it is necessary in a hospital. I couldn't imagine wearing one for hours while watching a sporting event and enjoying myself. I would rather stay home if I was that fearful of catching something and watch the event on television. But I guess that shows the level of dedication of the fans and I guess its also what you get used to.

Hate fake smiles and horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Risa View Post
    It seems most people are voting for Japan, I really don't have a preference, but I always get distracted a little by all the face masks in the audiences in Japan and other Asian countries. As a health care worker I don't enjoy wearing a mask when it is necessary in a hospital. I couldn't imagine wearing one for hours while watching a sporting event and enjoying myself. I would rather stay home if I was that fearful of catching something and watch the event on television. But I guess that shows the level of dedication of the fans and I guess its also what you get used to.
    Before I moved to Australia for work, I mean when I was still living in Southeast Asia, I wore face masks every time I went out. People do that a lot. And I am allergic to lost of things. My mum even reminded me whenever I forgot the face mask. There are people who aren't like that, but most of them are men. I guess it's different in western country. frankly I hate wearing face mask a lot.

On the Ice
    Hands down Japan!

They respectfully support and help all competitors.

In Saitama, hundreds attended and cheered at the practice sessions which (with the exception of Sochi at the main rink) is not that common.

As far as US Nationals goes, the main events are not bad but IMHO Spokane topped Boston.

Custom Title
    Could someone explain the face mask situation to me? I know China has really really really terrible air (I cannot stress this enough) but what's up with the face masks in Japan and other Asian countries?

P/B Appreciation Squad fleeting's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    Could someone explain the face mask situation to me? I know China has really really really terrible air (I cannot stress this enough) but what's up with the face masks in Japan and other Asian countries?
    Friends of mine who lived in Japan said masks were often used when one was sick in order to not spread their disease so readily. That's likely not the entire reason, but it is a major part of it. The Japanese society dislikes being selfish and invasive - and I suppose keeping the sick air out of such a crowded population is very crowd-minded.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fleeting View Post
    Friends of mine who lived in Japan said masks were often used when one was sick in order to not spread their disease so readily. That's likely not the entire reason, but it is a major part of it. The Japanese society dislikes being selfish and invasive - and I suppose keeping the sick air out of such a crowded population is very crowd-minded.
    Ah, that actually sounds... very considerate! I was under the impression that healthy people wore masks to not get sick, and to that, I have the same reaction as Meoima: Argh, annoying.

Custom Title
    Japan, Japan and Japan. The crowd there is hands down the best in the world.

Custom Title
    Japan hands down, the crowd support is just amazing. And this is not just limited to figure skating because
    the same can also be said of their baseball games...

P/B Appreciation Squad fleeting's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    Ah, that actually sounds... very considerate! I was under the impression that healthy people wore masks to not get sick, and to that, I have the same reaction as Meoima: Argh, annoying.
    Maybe it was the area where they lived? Their daughter also wore one regularly because she had an allergy of some kind that her parents worried about a lot.

Custom Title
    ^Pollen allergy is quite common in Japan too

Quote Originally Posted by foruiz View Post
    ^Pollen allergy is quite common in Japan too
    Lots of Japanese people have hay fever caused by cedar pollen, which starts spreading in March.
    My son is the one who can't go out without facial mask, from March to May.

I feel it is strange, because I had rarely known people with allergy when I was a little girl,
    but now, there are so many of them

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast