Favorite Audiences | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Favorite Audiences

Meoima

Match Penalty
It seems most people are voting for Japan, I really don't have a preference, but I always get distracted a little by all the face masks in the audiences in Japan and other Asian countries. As a health care worker I don't enjoy wearing a mask when it is necessary in a hospital. I couldn't imagine wearing one for hours while watching a sporting event and enjoying myself. I would rather stay home if I was that fearful of catching something and watch the event on television. But I guess that shows the level of dedication of the fans and I guess its also what you get used to.
Before I moved to Australia for work, I mean when I was still living in Southeast Asia, I wore face masks every time I went out. People do that a lot. And I am allergic to lost of things. My mum even reminded me whenever I forgot the face mask. There are people who aren't like that, but most of them are men. I guess it's different in western country.:laugh: frankly I hate wearing face mask a lot.

vexlak

Rinkside
Hands down Japan!

They respectfully support and help all competitors.

In Saitama, hundreds attended and cheered at the practice sessions which (with the exception of Sochi at the main rink) is not that common.

As far as US Nationals goes, the main events are not bad but IMHO Spokane topped Boston.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Could someone explain the face mask situation to me? I know China has really really really terrible air (I cannot stress this enough) but what's up with the face masks in Japan and other Asian countries?

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
Could someone explain the face mask situation to me? I know China has really really really terrible air (I cannot stress this enough) but what's up with the face masks in Japan and other Asian countries?

Friends of mine who lived in Japan said masks were often used when one was sick in order to not spread their disease so readily. That's likely not the entire reason, but it is a major part of it. The Japanese society dislikes being selfish and invasive - and I suppose keeping the sick air out of such a crowded population is very crowd-minded.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Friends of mine who lived in Japan said masks were often used when one was sick in order to not spread their disease so readily. That's likely not the entire reason, but it is a major part of it. The Japanese society dislikes being selfish and invasive - and I suppose keeping the sick air out of such a crowded population is very crowd-minded.
Ah, that actually sounds... very considerate! I was under the impression that healthy people wore masks to not get sick, and to that, I have the same reaction as Meoima: Argh, annoying.

Sara

On the Ice
Japan, Japan and Japan. :) The crowd there is hands down the best in the world.

foruiz

Final Flight
Japan hands down, the crowd support is just amazing. And this is not just limited to figure skating because
the same can also be said of their baseball games...

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
Ah, that actually sounds... very considerate! I was under the impression that healthy people wore masks to not get sick, and to that, I have the same reaction as Meoima: Argh, annoying.

Maybe it was the area where they lived? Their daughter also wore one regularly because she had an allergy of some kind that her parents worried about a lot.

lady_bee

Medalist
^Pollen allergy is quite common in Japan too

Lots of Japanese people have hay fever caused by cedar pollen, which starts spreading in March.
My son is the one who can't go out without facial mask, from March to May.

I feel it is strange, because I had rarely known people with allergy when I was a little girl,
but now, there are so many of them:confused:

BlackPack

Medalist
I'd say Nice, France was wonderful and enthusiastic in 2012, especially with how they celebrated Dai and Yuz.

DC Worlds 2003 was electric towards Shen and Zhao; the crowd's reaction was what made me and probably others so touched and excited.

lbc2138

On the Ice

I know for sure in Japan people wear face masks to prevent others around them from getting sick, as opposed to preventing themselves from getting sick. It is considerate but also a public health issue since most of the streets are crowded and you get very intimate with people in the subway. So I don't find it too off-putting or annoying since there is good intentions behind it in terms of watching the Japanese crowd.

Way better than here in the states where people will literally sneeze in your face and not bat an eye -_- I wish it was more acceptable to wear a mask out when you're sick in NYC and not be mistaken as suspicious haha.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Yeah, the population density of Japan probably makes the masks inevitable. I hadn't thought of that.

@BlackPack
Didn't the Nice audience boo Patrick Chan for his win? I know many people agreed with them, but I'm not sure if I'd consider that an ideal audience... (and though I'm not a Chan fan, it's a weird instance where I actually agree with his win).