Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Least Favourite Programs By Your Favourite Skaters

Custom Title
    Not to mention the costume Mao wore for Bells of Moscow was terrible. She looked liked a tacky demon child. That red ruffle choker around her neck needed to be burned.

People either love or hate Bells of Moscow, it seems.

For me, my least favorite program of Mao's is SP Agony (Alfred Schnittke).

Though we did not know at the time, it was the time when her family was struggling with her mother's illness, and it coincided with her having just started reworking her jumps, and she didn't manage to land her new flip until well into the season.

She looked so unhappy and frail and the music did not help her at all.

Quote Originally Posted by lilahozi View Post
    Not to mention the costume Mao wore for Bells of Moscow was terrible. She looked liked a tacky demon child. That red ruffle choker around her neck needed to be burned.
    How I became a forever fan of Mao in 2010 during the Olympics while she was wearing such hideous outfits (the one from the SP was just as horrid) and dreadful music is a testament to what a positive, beautiful, and strong vibe Mao exudes inspite of having an attire and music that could have distracted me.

Mao needs to hire the person who makes her exhibition costumes for her competitions. Because they're always 10 times better than the ones used in competitions. And no more bra over top outfit. The black tango dress with the red fluffy bra on top was the absolute worst!!

Yulia forver! I'm on team dumped Ice Dance. Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    People either love or hate Bells of Moscow, it seems.
    Yes! I love that program.

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin99 View Post
    and dreadful music
    I understand the taste, but please don't call Rachmaninov music dreadful.

Custom Title
    Michelle Kwan Bolero and Scheherazade

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    I love Rachmaninoff, but that particular arrangement of the Prelude in C sharp minor was the most heavy-handed one I've ever heard. For one thing, it took just the "A" theme, which is droning and dirgelike, and it left out the "B" theme, which has a lot of variation in tempo and emotional shading. So in a way the music was made dreadful, though not by Rachmaninoff himself.

Tripping on the Podium
    Mao's Bells of Moscow was a voidy masterpiece. We just all didn't realize it in 2010. I'm glad she won Worlds with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    Yes! I love that program.

Alba, I should have been clear, but what I meant was, when I first heard the music (during her performance in Vancouver), I thought it and her outfit were dreadful. (still not a fan of those 2 outfits) but after some time, I began appreciating how beautiful Mao interpreted the music through her performances, and in turn, the song itself. I am not a fan of the Bell Of Moscow song outside of Mao's performance, but I do appreciate the meaning and Mao really did a wonderful job with it, especially considering how underscored she was, even when she skated that performance flawlessly at worlds.

Custom Title
    The only program I didn't really care for from Yuna was the Vampire SP.
    I also didn't really like V/M's Funny Face program.
    I absolutely loved D/W's Indian Dance and Samson & Delilah programs and nothing really topped those programs for me and were kinda just okay.

Yulia forver! I'm on team dumped Ice Dance. Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I love Rachmaninoff, but that particular arrangement of the Prelude in C sharp minor was the most heavy-handed one I've ever heard. For one thing, it took just the "A" theme, which is droning and dirgelike, and it left out the "B" theme, which has a lot of variation in tempo and emotional shading. So in a way the music was made dreadful, though not by Rachmaninoff himself.
    Yes, she used the orchestral version but I would've loved the piano version (the original one) alone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXGSfJn3nKQ

I think the idea though was to make that program more powerful and haunting. I personally liked it, but I'm all for the drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin99 View Post
    Alba, I should have been clear, but what I meant was, when I first heard the music (during her performance in Vancouver), I thought it and her outfit were dreadful. (still not a fan of those 2 outfits) but after some time, I began appreciating how beautiful Mao interpreted the music through her performances, and in turn, the song itself. I am not a fan of the Bell Of Moscow song outside of Mao's performance, but I do appreciate the meaning and Mao really did a wonderful job with it, especially considering how underscored she was, even when she skated that performance flawlessly at worlds.

Sorry, my mistake.

Rinkside
    Gracie Gold - All That Jazz.
    Why? It's an old, tired song. She's young, and should appeal to her generation. There are plenty of new songs that are beautiful and more fitting of her.

Custom Title
    Despite its technical brilliance, I never got into Die Fledermaus. I much prefer the programs where Meryl & Charlie are taking on characters and telling a story. I much preferred ND the following year even though it seemed like many people felt opposite.

I hated when Castelli & Shnapir did Concerto No. 2 in the gray costumes. It was so not them and they never looked comfortable skating it. I loved the tango they did the following year. They seemed to really figure out after 2012 who they were stylistically so maybe Concerto No. 2 and their disappointing finish at Nationals that year helped them get there.

I never could get fully behind Ashley's Shine On. I enjoy fiesty Ashley but it didn't say Olympic vehicle to me and felt like it was trying really hard to be edgy and modern...but wasn't

Quote Originally Posted by flutzy13 View Post
    Despite its technical brilliance, I never got into Die Fledermaus. I much prefer the programs where Meryl & Charlie are taking on characters and telling a story. I much preferred ND the following year even though it seemed like many people felt opposite.

I never could get fully behind Ashley's Shine On. I enjoy fiesty Ashley but it didn't say Olympic vehicle to me and felt like it was trying really hard to be edgy and modern...but wasn't
    Another one of those cases when it is 100% a matter of personal taste, since these two are probably my favourite programs from D/W and Ashley

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Yikes, how could you not like "Die Fledermaus?" The music is so much fun and M & C captured the spirit so perfectly! JMO...

Custom Title
    Whereas Fledermaus is one of my favorite programs ever, by anyone, in any discipline! In fact, I often link to it to show non-skate-fan friends what skaters can do with the right music and the right moves. (And many of my friends have reacted with great delight.) This just goes to show how subjective skating appreciation can be. There's something heartening about the diversity of our perceptions as skate fans, I think. It means that ninety-nine fans can swear up and down that Program X is the greatest piece ever skated, and you or I can still choose Program Y instead, with no need even to explain why. (Like Everest, I suppose...because it's there, and we were lucky enough to get to see it.)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast