Least Favourite Programs By Your Favourite Skaters | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Least Favourite Programs By Your Favourite Skaters

Barb

Record Breaker
Mao "I got the rythm" :disapp:. ( i love her "bells" too)
I dont like Sasha "swan lake"
Dai "beatles"
Shibs "Andes dance"
Akiko "PHantom"
Elena R. "Frida"
V/m. LP this year, i dont remember the name.

donezo

On the Ice
Voir's Funny Face.

It should tell you something is amiss right off the bat when the best three parts of a Fred Astaire movie (Audrey Hepburn's fashion shoot in Paris, her beatnik solo in a Parisian cafe, and--best of all--Kay Thompson's fabulous "Think Pink") do not feature Fred Astaire. Maybe Tessa has some secret Audrey Hepburn fantasy, but the number is less a xerox than a carbon copy, down to the cheap knockoff costumes. I cringe whenever I have watched this, and get infuriated that this won Worlds over Marlie's iconic Die Fledermaus FD. And before Matt K and other Voir ubers come rushing in, I thought Voir should have won Worlds for Carmen (flawed as that FD is) over Marlie's Notre Dame. Those teams always did seem to win for the wrong programs. Tis a mystery.

By the way, Kay Thompson also wrote one of the best children's books ever: Eloise. The sequels are good, but Eloise is classic.

Oh, and here's a hilariously b*tchy take on Funny Face, the movie, by Tom and Lorenzo:
http://tomandlorenzo.com/2007/05/musical-monday-funny-face/

Yes. 100% yes. I didn't mention it as I am not a big Virtue/Moir fan, but that program was far an away their worst. I would also rank that as one of the least deserved World titles ever in this sport.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Yes, I was fascinated to find, as an adult, that the Kay Thompson who wrote the Eloise books was a movie performer as well.

Wait, you're referring to one of Judy Garland's best friends who helped Liza out with the funeral??? She played a minor role that was cut to pieces in Funny Girl because Barbra demanded she be cut??? That Kay Thompson????? No Skater Boy, not the Nudes on Ice one who laughed at Liz Manley's hair loss. This is real talent. Seriously? She's wonderful. And she wrote Eloise??? Learn something new everyday.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Another one I really didn't like was Mirai's Spartacus: totally lifeless :disapp:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, Kay Thompson was one of the KEY figures in the golden age of American movie musicals at MGM and, as I said, the author of the children's classic Eloise (and its four sequels, all of which are wonderful, but Eloise is just one of the great characters of American children's literature).

You can read more about her here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kay_Thompson

I still :love: the Eloise books, particularly Eloise in Paris

I still :love: the Eloise books, particularly Eloise in Paris

That was the first one I read as a child, so I still have a soft spot for it. Ankles is right: she's a wonderful, enduring literary character, like Pippi Longstocking and Madeline.

Here's one of Thompson's best scenes from Funny Face. It's a great lampoon of the fashion industry while being delightfully chic at the same time. Look at all those killer business suits the ladies are wearing. As you watch this, try to keep in your mind a vision of Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX6TaA6IRkk

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
That was the first one I read as a child, so I still have a soft spot for it. Ankles is right: she's a wonderful, enduring literary character, like Pippi Longstocking and Madeline.

Here's one of Thompson's best scenes from Funny Face. It's a great lampoon of the fashion industry while being delightfully chic at the same time. Look at all those killer business suits the ladies are wearing. As you watch this, try to keep in your mind a vision of Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX6TaA6IRkk

Think Pink! Best number in the movie.

I rawther want to BE Eloise. I want to live at the Plaza Hotel and call down to room service for a roast beef bone, one raisin and seven spoons and charge it please. Thank you very much.

Actually the character Kay Thompson plays is based on Diana Vreeland, who was THE most influential American fashion editor in the 50s and 60s. One thing I loved about Vreeland was she thought bad taste could be fun, but the worst fashion crime was to have no taste at all!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Vreeland

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
As much as it pains me to type this, I have to add another vote to Plush's Sabre Dance. I mean, credit to him for being one of the few people who can skate to such frantic music and not lag behind, but the music itself... should it even be called "music"? Made my ears bleed, and the costume kinda made my eyes bleed too. Enero's comment is spot-on, especially the "I’m surprised it didn’t drive the audience and judges batty" part. I guess I should be thankful it was a short program. Plush, too, since the technical mark is the tie-breaker in the short program.

I feel weird that I have no problem with Michelle's Scheherazade or Yuna's Kiss of the Vampire. Scheherazade would've been more than enough to win her the Olympics had she not fallen (and even with the fall, I enjoyed it more than Irina's lackluster performance). Yuna's Kiss of the Vampire wasn't as distinct as, say, her Vancouver SP, but it was still gorgeous. Or maybe I'm just blinded by how pretty her dress was, haha.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I remembered another one of B&K's that I don't particularly like, the 2003 OD. The music sounded like shrieking even though they danced it well. The 1998 OD was also cute but not that difficult.. I wish they had stayed with the Beatles one they originally did, in the lime green costumes. It's funny that they changed it because they thought they were being marked low on the other one but ended up losing to A&P with the new (Grease) one. I also never noticed before recently that the choreography for both was almost exactly the same, like they just laid all the moves from the original one onto new music.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
As much as it pains me to type this, I have to add another vote to Plush's Sabre Dance. I mean, credit to him for being one of the few people who can skate to such frantic music and not lag behind, but the music itself... should it even be called "music"? Made my ears bleed, and the costume kinda made my eyes bleed too. Enero's comment is spot-on, especially the "I’m surprised it didn’t drive the audience and judges batty" part. I guess I should be thankful it was a short program. Plush, too, since the technical mark is the tie-breaker in the short program.

I feel weird that I have no problem with Michelle's Scheherazade or Yuna's Kiss of the Vampire. Scheherazade would've been more than enough to win her the Olympics had she not fallen (and even with the fall, I enjoyed it more than Irina's lackluster performance). Yuna's Kiss of the Vampire wasn't as distinct as, say, her Vancouver SP, but it was still gorgeous. Or maybe I'm just blinded by how pretty her dress was, haha.

The Kiss of the Vampire dress is one of my all time fave. FS costumes.