Programs you would like to see from other skaters | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Programs you would like to see from other skaters

donezo

On the Ice
I need Ashley Wagner to revive Jill Trenary's Miami Sound Machine program. Immediately.

I agree with Jason doing Henry V. Still one of my favorite men's programs ever.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know most people don't like the thought of lyrics but what if some one did Hallelujah for a SP. Jeff Buckley version of course!

Ashley?? Marai??

noskates

Record Breaker
I LOVE Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah but I wonder if it would be too slow for a singles skater. Could maybe see a pairs team skate to it. I'm guessing Jason's LP next year will be something dramatic. Didn't Rohene say he originally was planning on him skating to Pearl Harbor? But Henry V or even JFK would be something to see. I know I'm an uber Jason fan but I really think he could interpret just about any kind of music.

LyraAngelica

On the Ice
Anita Hartshorn and Frank Sweiding used to do some amazing programs to music by Enigma. I would love see a competitive pairs do one of their programs.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I LOVE Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah but I wonder if it would be too slow for a singles skater. Could maybe see a pairs team skate to it. I'm guessing Jason's LP next year will be something dramatic. Didn't Rohene say he originally was planning on him skating to Pearl Harbor? But Henry V or even JFK would be something to see. I know I'm an uber Jason fan but I really think he could interpret just about any kind of music.

"Hallelujah" is one of my all-time favorites, too! Sasha Cohen used it, I think as an exhibition, but IMO the program lacked something. Can't explain why, though -- it just didn't work for me.

S-S, not sure whether Ashley could do "Hallelujah" but it could have possibilities for Mirai. And fasten your seat belt: in some ways I can see Yulia doing it. Yes, Yulia. There's something about that tune and those ironic lyrics that could fit with her "old soul" personality. Just a thought.

Whatever Jason uses for his LP this year, I can't wait to see it!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"Hallelujah" is one of my all-time favorites, too! Sasha Cohen used it, I think as an exhibition, but IMO the program lacked something. Can't explain why, though -- it just didn't work for me.

S-S, not sure whether Ashley could do "Hallelujah" but it could have possibilities for Mirai. And fasten your seat belt: in some ways I can see Yulia doing it. Yes, Yulia. There's something about that tune and those ironic lyrics that could fit with her "old soul" personality. Just a thought.

Whatever Jason uses for his LP this year, I can't wait to see it!

To me doing this song would take guts. It would require someone with an over abundance of power skating skills and an incredible strength of character that can match and even surpass the power of the lyrics. IMO Ashley could really probably sell it better than anyone with exception to Mao who I'm not willing to get my hopes up for returning yet. TBH I think Ashley could really use a program that is less confrontational in presentation and maybe one that sells her sweet side while showing her charisma in a new light. It would be out of left field for an aging veteran to use lyrics which most probably expect to be a youngster first. Pearl Harbor attack? Maybe a risk worth taking. Maybe not.

This song resonates with me in a similar way to Marai's "On Golden Pond"a Little. A lot of people went ga ga over her exhibition at US Nationals and why not capitalize on it. That's what brought her to mind. Similar to Ashley and even more so in most ways, she could use a radical program that's a bit of a gamble to draw attention to her last attempt to stay relevant. Not to mention my personal desire to see her connect to such a beuautiful piece of music the way she did with OGP.

That brings me to the music. While yes, it has lyrics. The way they are presented in this piece seems much more like a musical instrument than say A Madonna song where the lyrics are presented so that the music is often secondary. "Take a Bow" for example(This should be someone's gala IMO). The lyrics to Hallelujha are woven in like a subtle piano theme that plays to the soul of the music(oh dear):slink: instead of over shadowing it, This is the biggest fear for me if skaters start using lyrics. Most songs don't present the lyrics this well as a compliment to the theme. I fear cheesiness is in our future :bang: not so much with this song.

I can't see Yulia doing it because of her inability to connect to the music for every single note of a song. Plus she couldn't even sing her national anthem at Euros :confused2:I suspect similar themes at least this year for her to many people's dismay. Oh well.

I also agree with the previous poster that said maybe it would be safer for a pairs team to skate to. I just like taking risks. Especially late in a career.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If I had to switch two past programs, I'd like to see Jason take a crack at Josh's Libertango, and Josh take a crack at Jason's beautiful Liebestraume.

Neverdull45

Rinkside
Sorry, these are not programs from other skaters. They are new programs. I'm tired of seeing old programs.

Ashley Wagner do "River Deep, Mountain High" by Celine Dion (originally done by Tina Turner)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swOLTE_iG0s
why did I choose this for Ashley? Because she is a fast, strong skater and woman. That's what's needed to carry off this song.

Gracie Gold do" Abraham's Daughter" by Arcade mixed in with Safe & Sound or Birdy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TYpy-24NdY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzhAS_GnJIc&list=RDX4XB4fSj_UI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQVlZ-q7xHs&list=RDX4XB4fSj_UI
why did I choose this for Gracie? Because it's different than her "All that Jazz" routine which is a tired, old song. Gracie has the innocent princess look and carriage on the ice. She will bring soft
ness to the more militaristic Abraham's Daughter. Safe & Sound is slower and will play off her innocence. Both are from the Hunger Games and "not her grandma's" music. These songs all have some passion to it, and I think Gracie could develop passion more.

Jason Brown do 'Game of Thrones' by violinist Lindsay Stirling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oNpmSAvpGQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf6LD2B_kDQ
why did I choose this for Mr. Brown? Because I loved his celtic routine at Nationals. This is a little like it, but more modern dub-step version.

Someone mentioned Todd E.
How about something completely different for him! No classical, military, sad, elegant or other competitions songs needed at this point.
My Front Porch Looking In by Lonestar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgwgs5lHd5c
why in the world would I choose a country song for Todd E? I don't think I've ever seen him do a country song. He's older and has earned the credentials to do whatever in the world he wants to do. He's a father and a coach, and he's just on a different level than the self-absorbed athlete (not that he ever was). This is a happy song about being a father. It's a 'let the ice fly off the toe picks' song. I saw him with his wife & kids on a morning show in NYC last year, and he just looked very relaxed and happy. So, a happy song for Todd.

noskates

Record Breaker
Wow - Lindsay Sterling is phenomenol. Clicked on her Game of Thrones and was really impressed with the music but it seems a bit repetitive. Then I got lost in YouTube land listening to her other selections.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
:yes: Much food for thought there, S-S.

You may well be right about Ashley and the way you described the lyrics for "Hallelujah" is spot-on. If someone does use it this year, I hope they do it justice -- it's such an extraordinary piece on so many levels.

desertskates

Medalist
I think Jason could pull of a short to an Indian Bhangra. Similar (but less exhausting) than Shawn and Derek's 2012 DWTS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waCZRj0RUCQ
And while we're in India, I'd love to see one of the younger girls like Anna, Polina, or even Gracie really bring it artistically with something like Michelle Kwan's Taj Mahal.

Neverdull45

Rinkside
Wow - Lindsay Sterling is phenomenol. Clicked on her Game of Thrones and was really impressed with the music but it seems a bit repetitive. Then I got lost in YouTube land listening to her other selections.

(yes, my Adult Bronze program is to 'Crystalize')

treeloving

Medalist
I would like to see Yuzuru tries Fernandez lp this year because it is a program that totally rely on Javier's hotness.