Russian Nationals podium | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Russian Nationals podium

aschiutza

On the Ice
What about Chan and his mistakes? Though Chan is also naturally inconsistent. Better example is Euros 2012. For all the talk of Artur headcasing, he was the only one who held it together. On reason why I don't think Artur is Jeremy. I suspect injuries and weird stuff happened to him and changed him.

Oh too late. I wanted to say "shhhh, don't say something about Chan" or we will have endless posts how Chan invented FS and will be remembered in 1000 years as THE Chan ....but as you see is already too late... And i like to discuss now and here about russian skaters .... and the typical russian drama put on place from russian mama aka babuscka TAT.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Artur's Euros 2012 was a huge success and on some level I think with 3 quads to Plushenko's 1 quad over the course of the competition, he might have deserved the title more, but obviously his artistic inferiority held him back (Plu delivered two clean programs after all, and Gachinski was above him in the SP as it should have been).

The SP at Euros was frankly, ridiculous, and I say this as an ardent Plushy fan, but it was reputation scoring at its finest. Artur delivered a gorgeous SP that was loads of fun and he really got into, made no mistakes, all level 4s, and totally clean. There was no way in hell Plushenko should have only been a few tenths behind him. And then the score blowout between them in the LP was even more ridiculous - Artur popped one jump but was otherwise clean, so should not have fallen as far behind Plushenko as he did (and as CSG points out, Artur did a two-quad LP, to Plushenko's 1). That European title was Artur's, and I wonder if that was the beginning of the problems in his mind - "Even if I go all-out, I can't beat him".

/vent

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Oops, shouldn't have mentioned Chan. Too late, eek. Well, I'll just say, it's a bit weird to say "He's consistent except for the triple axel" when the triple axel is part of consistency. It's almost like saying "Well, Jeremy Abott's Sochi individual SP/LP were really good except for the quad"--because the quad matters, like it should. Anyway, my comment wasn't meant to disparage Chan. Would you rather I say, "Haha, King Plushy went out there and killed it and Chan just fell apart that night!! :laugh:" That would've been the more disingenuous (and insulting) comment, imo.

RE: Euros. I think Artur should've won the SP by a larger margin and Plush the LP by a smaller margin. (Yes, Artur had a 2-quad LP, but the popped jump was costly, and he was up against Plushenko's greatest technical skate under COP ever. There was no way he was winning the LP.) Ironic, Plush lost the darn Vancouver Olympics due to the exact same type of scoring (I still haven't gotten over it), so maybe the judges were trying to apologize to him. Except they conveniently forgot Artur wasn't Evan... or something. Who knows.

I admit I'm still happy Plush won, but the scores really should've been closer. It's true, I'm not an ardent Artur fan even though he's the most enjoyable of the young Russian skaters, so maybe I'm biased and everything I type means nothing. But honestly, I really, really don't think the Euros result was his downfall. He still won a silver medal, which is better many people (including Kovtun!) managed to do at his age.

I don't think Artur's so prone to despair that he'd collapse simply because he lost to Plushenko of all people. Didn't he have a string of injuries afterward too, plus the unknown problems Mishin alluded to? Honestly, I'd be even more worried about Artur if that one Euros result managed to start this entire downward spiral. He's going to face a lot worse in the future than one sorta-questionable loss against Plushenko. I refuse to believe that about Artur... because if it's really true, I don't know how he's gonna fare against "new golden boy" Kovtun. It's not true, I don't believe it...

Meoima

Match Penalty
Oh too late. I wanted to say "shhhh, don't say something about Chan" or we will have endless posts how Chan invented FS and will be remembered in 1000 years as THE Chan ....but as you see is already too late... And i like to discuss now and here about russian skaters .... and the typical russian drama put on place from russian mama aka babuscka TAT.
:rofl::rofl:
Set PChan aside, now I am very very confusing, who will TAT chose to do her powerful politiking? :biggrin: I can't wait for the next season.

I bet it's still Kovtun since Gachinski hasn't gotten back to momentum yet (and no one knows when will). His nerves is still a big question. :rolleye: If Gachinski outskates Kovtun next season, then I have no doubt that TAT will dump Kovtun (or at least not do the politiking for him) in the following season. :biggrin:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't think Artur's so prone to despair that he'd collapse simply because he lost to Plushenko of all people. Didn't he have a string of injuries afterward too, plus the unknown problems Mishin alluded to? Honestly, I'd be even more worried about Artur if that one Euros result managed to start this entire downward spiral. He's going to face a lot worse in the future than one sorta-questionable loss against Plushenko. I refuse to believe that about Artur... because if it's really true, I don't know how he's gonna fare against "new golden boy" Kovtun. It's not true, I don't believe it...

No, that's not what I'm saying. But we know that things changed for him somewhere between Euros and Worlds and that little knock to his self-confidence at Euros wasn't going to help. Then after Worlds he was subjected to a barrage of abuse from his own Federation...it must have been very hard for him.

But he looks happy and more confident in that video, and that's what I'm so happy about, because I've been dying to see him happy again for years.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
The thing is, he's going to face a lot worse than Euros 2012 in the future. I mean, imagine how Denis Ten must've felt after 2013 Worlds. But Ten picked himself up and won an Olympic medal. I may not find Ten's skating very exciting, but I really respect how he kept it together.

Artur needs to become a tough competitor going forward. Next nationals for example, he could skate well and still lose to Kovtun because Kovtun is the favoured one right now. I don't believe (or rather, don't want to believe) the Euros result had a big impact on Artur, because if it did... well, he's going to deal with even worse results in the future. Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but I think the timing of his downfall was a coincidence.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The thing is, he's going to face a lot worse than Euros 2012 in the future. I mean, imagine how Denis Ten must've felt after 2013 Worlds. But Ten picked himself up and won an Olympic medal. I may not find Ten's skating very exciting, but I really respect how he kept it together.

Artur needs to become a tough competitor going forward. Next nationals for example, he could skate well and still lose to Kovtun because Kovtun is the favoured one right now. I don't believe (or rather, don't want to believe) the Euros result had a big impact on Artur, because if it did... well, he's going to deal with even worse results in the future. Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but I think the timing of his downfall was a coincidence.

Missed my point again. I'm not at all saying that Euros sparked the downfall or was even a major contributor. But on top of everything else...just add another cockroach to the pile.

There were already signs over the last season that his head was coming back together. All he needed then was the body to follow suit.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Well, bottom line: Regardless of what sparked the downfall, let's hope Artur gathers himself and makes a comeback. He is a good skater. I hope he can develop into a fierce competitor as well, because the challenges are only beginning.

mary01

Final Flight
Well, bottom line: Regardless of what sparked the downfall, let's hope Artur gathers himself and makes a comeback. He is a good skater. I hope he can develop into a fierce competitor as well, because the challenges are only beginning.

Did he ever officially say he was quitting?

Alba

Record Breaker
But he looks happy and more confident in that video, and that's what I'm so happy about, because I've been dying to see him happy again for years.

Yep, me too. I love the guy, he's the only male from the russian skaters which I really like. If that is his new SP and ha can hold his nerves we're in for a treat.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Hmm. For once, I think you have not actually insulted Artur. It is no secret he is the Outcast.
Yup, so sock that Sky_fly is nice toward Artur for once. :popcorn: I vote or Artur to get Tat's favour!!!

LRK

Record Breaker
@karne & Meoima - I'm sure that was purely inadvertent on sky_fly's part. ;)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I'm sure it wasn't intentional(ly sympathetic) on sky_fly's part, but I think her casting is actually more accurate than mine. Artur is really more Outcast than Prince nowadays... Hopefully that can change.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^That's a really nice performance. Actually used the props and costume very well. Thanks for sharing!