Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Russian Nationals podium

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by volk View Post
    Plushenko, Kovtun, Gachinski would be the strongest Russian Europeans team in over a decade.
    I hope Plushy will spare our heart next season, though. And spare his back also.

Custom Title
    Plushenko, Kovtun, Voronov would be the strongest Russian Europeans team in over a decade.
    Fixed.

Interesting to see Gachinski going to Tarasova. Perhaps along with Champion maker she can be the one who sorts out Mishin's ex-students.

Banned
    please there will be no new rivalry
    Kovtun and especially Gachinski are not even half the level of Zhenya and even Yagudins at their age

its better to bank on young promising skaters like Pitkeev and Patrov
    than someone like Gachinski, he peaked already and his one hit wonder moment already passed

Custom Title
    After grinning with glee at the anticipated drama yesterday, I'm worried now that it's actually happened. I don't think this coaching change will be good for anybody.

Kovtun-Tarasova-Gachinski will probably lead to another Yagudin-Mishin-Plushenko situation. Two elite skaters (from the same country!) in one group is bound to cause trouble. As Mishin put it, "It's like having two wives. How do you love them both the same amount?"

And yes, the old rivalry was the best thing that happened for the sport. But right now, Kovtun and Gachinski aren't top of the world. They'll wear each other down, but it's unlikely they're touching Hanyu. It'll just lead to one of them finding a new coach (again) soon, but probably without the whole "incredible rivalry that pushes the sport to a whole new level."

Dunno who the shared coach is gonna affect more. Gachinski is the older, "fading" skater. But he's also the new one to Tarasova's group; if I were Kovtun, I'd definitely feel a bit discarded. And Gachinski has nothing to lose at this point, while Kovtun's shouldering all the pressure.

And I think we might as well as get used to Plush's return, because now it's inevitable. *sigh* If the whole "making up for Sochi" thing wasn't enough, he's got new motivation: Gachinski pulled a Yagudin, Mishin's left without elite senior students, and Plushenko now must fight for Mishin's honour! I'm worried about his health (nothing new), but I suspect the drama won't do any good for Mishin or TAT either. Neither of them are young anymore, and considering TAT's health problems, I wonder how handling both Kovtun and Gachinski would fare. (Love them or hate them, they were two coaches who contributed a lot to figure skating).

The closest person to a winner here is Voronov. He could sneak onto the podium while the rest wear themselves out with the rivalry and drama.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    please there will be no new rivalry
    Kovtun and especially Gachinski are not even half the level of Zhenya and even Yagudins at their age

its better to bank on young promising skaters like Pitkeev and Petrov
    than someone like Gachinski, he peaked already and his one hit wonder moment already passed
    They won't be ready next year. Gachinski can make Europeans team skating at 80% of his potential.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post

And I think we might as well as get used to Plush's return, because now it's inevitable. *sigh* If the whole "making up for Sochi" thing wasn't enough, he's got new motivation: Gachinski pulled a Yagudin, Mishin's left without elite senior students, and Plushenko now must fight for Mishin's honour! I'm worried about his health (nothing new), but I suspect the drama won't do any good for Mishin or TAT either. Neither of them are young anymore, and considering TAT's health problems, I wonder how handling both Kovtun and Gachinski would fare. (Love them or hate them, they were two coaches who contributed a lot to figure skating).
    Mishin is already propping up Petrov

Custom Title
    I know, that's good, but Petrov is unlikely to challenge for the podium next season. And we don't know if he'll continue on an upward trajectory. I hope he does well, because that means Plush will only (only...) have to fight for a little bit longer.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Mishin is already propping up Petrov
    With Plushenko back, Mishin won't be spending enough time coaching him.

Well, how much coaching does Plushy really need? I mean, hands-on coaching? After all, he's been doing quads since he was - 15? He probably doesn't need attention 24/7... I'm sure Mishin will find at least a few minutes to spare for his other students... (shrugs)

Custom Title
    Plush isn't going to take any time away from Petrov. He can practically be a coach in his own right at this point. I do hope Mishin keeps an eye on Plush though, just to make sure he doesn't over-exert himself.

Plush isn't going to take any time away from Petrov. He can practically be a coach in his own right at this point. I do hope Mishin keeps an eye on Plush though, just to make sure he doesn't over-exert himself.
    Oh, yes. Also, Plushy is smart enough to know that he still needs a technical coach. I'm sure another eye is good to have however experienced you may be... It's difficult to be completely objective about yourself.

Rinkside
    I don't expect a big quarrels in mens group. And I don't belive TAT would be badmouthing somebody mentioned above. She did Voronov SP this season (and helped him to get in Tutberidze group), during the Olimpic she said in NTV plus live that something like "there is a young junior, he is just 15, but he can do things that Yagudin did at 15 and I expect a lot of him". She didn't call his name but said "you should watch JWС" - the only 15 years old russian at JWC was Pitkeev. Averbuch mentioned in interview that he would be working with Adian next season, so I hope he would have a decent programs finally.

I'm more afraid about Tutberidze insanely strong senior (junior) girls group. Having Lipnitskaia, Medvedeva, Sakhanovich (she moved to Moscow some weeks ago) and Tsurskaia on the same ice is really a "bloodbath".

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    I know Pogorilaya isn't in Eteri's group but don't they share the same ice?

Rinkside
    Yes, they do. But I think Pogo's enviroment is slightly diffrent. She haven't anybody as strong as she in her group. And if we would count skaters on the same ice rink, CSKA is even more busy. But even in Goncharenko group there is only Radionova and Proklova.

Custom Title
    Kovtun-Tarasova-Gachinski will probably lead to another Yagudin-Mishin-Plushenko situation. Two elite skaters (from the same country!) in one group is bound to cause trouble. As Mishin put it, "It's like having two wives. How do you love them both the same amount?"
    I find it definitely intriguing that in spite of Kovtun being the new "Golden Boy", Tarasova felt inclined to pick up another elite man - and one capable of beating Kovtun, at that. What does this mean? Does she know that Kovtun's jumps are unsustainable in the long term? Does she see greater potential in Artur than she does in Kovtun?

They won't be ready next year. Gachinski can make Europeans team skating at 80% of his potential.
    And people forget or conveniently gloss over that the other skater passed over for Euros last season in favour of Kovtun was Gachinski. And c'mon, I love Artur, but yeesh Kovtun, losing to Artur that season took some serious effort.

Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Well, how much coaching does Plushy really need? I mean, hands-on coaching? After all, he's been doing quads since he was - 15? He probably doesn't need attention 24/7... I'm sure Mishin will find at least a few minutes to spare for his other students... (shrugs)
    Any skater still needs a technical coach, but Plushy also needs specific handling to make sure he doesn't overwork himself. Either way, Mishin's been doing this how many years...? I'm sure he's got the hang of dividing his time equally.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast