Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Russian Nationals podium

Custom Title
    I'm not saying his Worlds skate was horrible. Just saying it wasn't that great. Artur Gachinski, when he's on, can easily crush that skate. Sadly, he hasn't been on for a while (as I've admitted in my previous posts). Popping that quad into a single (should it even be called a single? It was basically a hop) is very, very costly under COP. As Carol Lane repeated non-stop during the Olympics broadcast--singling is the kiss of death. So yes, I think he's lucky to be in fourth place. It's better to plan and execute two quads properly than it is to plan three and single one of them (and in this case, only execute one quad). In fact, Kovtun seems to have this habit of popping quads into singles. His instincts are all wrong for COP--better to have Hanyu's "rotate and fall" instincts no matter how ungainly it looks.

I commend him for going from 17th to 4th. One okay performance at a post-Olympics Worlds doesn't mean he's suddenly the epitome of consistency. Regardless of the circumstances under which he has entered seniors, he has not been consistent thus far. Maybe he can grow into a consistent skater. Who knows. But the Worlds performance isn't enough to convince me of that.

And yes, I find Artur's skating vastly more enjoyable than Kovtun's. Obviously our tastes are different--I'm not gonna dictate yours and you're not gonna change mine. Not sure what either Curry or Plush has to do with this.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    I'm not saying his Worlds skate was horrible. Just saying it wasn't that great. Artur Gachinski, when he's on, can easily crush that skate. Sadly, he hasn't been on for a while (as I've admitted in my previous posts). Popping that quad into a single (should it even be called a single? It was basically a hop) is very, very costly under COP. As Carol Lane repeated non-stop during the Olympics broadcast--singling is the kiss of death. So yes, I think he's lucky to be in fourth place. It's better to plan and execute two quads properly than it is to plan three and single one of them (and in this case, only execute one quad). In fact, Kovtun seems to have this habit of popping quads into singles. His instincts are all wrong for COP--better to have Hanyu's "rotate and fall" instincts no matter how ungainly it looks.

I commend him for going from 17th to 4th. One okay performance at a post-Olympics Worlds doesn't mean he's suddenly the epitome of consistency. Regardless of the circumstances under which he has entered seniors, he has not been consistent thus far. Maybe he can grow into a consistent skater. Who knows. But the Worlds performance isn't enough to convince me of that.

And yes, I find Artur's skating vastly more enjoyable than Kovtun's. Obviously our tastes are different--I'm not gonna dictate yours and you're not gonna change mine. Not sure what either Curry or Plush has to do with this.
    This criticism is unfair because Kovtun is a few years younger than Arthur. Give him time to develop artistry.

Custom Title
    Kovtun's 18 right now. I prefer the skates Artur churned out at 18 over Kovtun's current skates. Though, obviously, Kovtun is skating better than Artur right now. Hard to even judge artistically because Artur's technical struggles are (inevitably) cutting into his overall performance.

Once again, never said Kovtun can't develop. I'm waiting for it. But can't go counting the chickens before they hatch.

To Sandpiper. This is way, way, way off topic, but I have to ask: Are you an Ilia Kulik fan? (Кулик = Sandpiper.)

Custom Title
    Um, I enjoy what I've seen of Kulik's skating, and I think he's a great Olympic champion. I'm not sure if that's good enough for "fan." I had no idea about the connection between my username and him! The username actually comes from somewhere else entirely. I know zero Russian, so I had no idea what his name meant.

Custom Title
    I saw them both at the show tonight. Gachinskij skates much smoother than Kovtun. He has very good potential. I also liked Stéphane Lambiel.

Quote Originally Posted by samkrut@mail.ru View Post
    I saw them both at the show tonight. Gachinskij skates much smoother than Kovtun. He has very good potential. I also liked Stéphane Lambiel.
    and Gachi's jumps?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    and Gachi's jumps?
    Gachinski's triple axel first time was twofooted, second time was OK. Kovtun tried quad salchov.

Custom Title
    Well, it's a show. We'll have to wait and see how they do in competition. But I'm glad to hear that Gachinski is at least putting on a good performance. Recently, I've wondered if he even enjoys skating anymore, considering all his troubles.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by volk View Post
    This criticism is unfair because Kovtun is a few years younger than Arthur. Give him time to develop artistry.
    Kovtun is under two years younger than Artur. And if people are allowing Plushenko/Yagudin, then they have to allow that.

Kovtun's 18 right now. I prefer the skates Artur churned out at 18 over Kovtun's current skates.
    And Artur's skates at 17 were also much better. Kovtun went to worlds for the first time at 17 and came 17th; Artur went to Worlds for the first time at 17 and came third. Kovtun has not yet medalled at Euros at 18; at 18, Artur won the silver at Euros, and arguably should have been champion. (I wonder if anything would have changed, had that Euros been marked correctly?)

Oh, thankyou

Gachinski's triple axel first time was twofooted, second time was OK. Kovtun tried quad salchov.
    Ohhh, I love Artur's 3A. It's the most beautiful, biggest, and best 3A in all of Russia...even nicer than Plushenko's! Thanks for the report!

Custom Title
    For the ladies I think it's impossible to predict, especially right now. If all things remain equal, I'm sure Adelina, Yulia, and Elena will be on the podium, in what order I couldn't tell you.

For the men I don't really have a clue but I predict Kovtun will win again.

Dance I don't have a clue which teams are competing so I'll say B/S.

In pairs I think S/K will win, and Vigalova/Zakroev and Tarasova and ? will decide who gets silver or bronze.

Custom Title
    Was this from the show you were talking about, samkrut?

It's Artur - skating to Michael Buble, I think?

He looks good. Fit and toned, and his jumps looked fine. Some interesting footwork going on that for a moment had me wondering if this might be a version of a new SP, but I don't think so.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Was this from the show you were talking about, samkrut?

It's Artur - skating to Michael Buble, I think?

He looks good. Fit and toned, and his jumps looked fine. Some interesting footwork going on that for a moment had me wondering if this might be a version of a new SP, but I don't think so.
    Yes, yesterday was a show in Moscow.

Custom Title
    Let's hope then that he is over his problems! It is so sad to see such a talent you see growing getting wasted. He is still very young and have some years of competition ahead of him. May be the change was what he needed the most to let the problems behind him.

Custom Title
    I commend him for going from 17th to 4th. One okay performance at a post-Olympics Worlds doesn't mean he's suddenly the epitome of consistency.
    Conversely, it seems one bad performance at Euros makes people think Kovtun is the epitome of inconsistency. People forget that he just started competing the 4S this season, and he's certainly had more success with it (even with the singles) than other skaters have had in their first season with a new quad (and more consistency than Hanyu and others have had this season with their 4S).

I wouldn't call Kovtun a consistent skater, but neither is most of the men's field -- including the current World Champion (who has fallen or popped in every event he competed in this season, and only executed his 4S twice). This is simply a reflection of how technically ambitious the men are being these days.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast