Sochi bids for 2017 World Figure Skating champs - official | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Sochi bids for 2017 World Figure Skating champs - official

Meoima

Match Penalty
Thanks Ayanka! :) I don't understand Russian Fed at all!!! :unsure:

Russian Sports Minister criticises "premature" Sochi bid for 2017 World Skating Championships

The Championships would be held in the Iceberg Skating Palace in which figure skating at Sochi 2014 was held ©Getty ImagesApril 24 - Sochi's bid for the 2017 World Figure Skating Championships has been cast in doubt after it was criticised by Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko for being submitted without Government approval.

Alexander Gorshkov, President of The Figure Skating Federation of Russia, had claimed a bid had been submitted to International Skating Union (ISU) to host the 2017 World Championships.
Under the proposal, the Championships would take place in 12,000-seater Iceberg Skating Palace, the venue built for Sochi 2014, before adding that "everything was in accordance with the procedure", and "now we await the response from the ISU".
Mutko, however, has condemned the announcement as premature and accused the Federation of breaking Russian law by submitting a bid for a major sports competition without Ministry approval.
"Not knowing the law doesn't free you from responsibility," he said, according to RiaNovosti.
"We'll look at the issue, there's just no need to hurry.
"There's a procedure, you have to contact the Government and the Sports Ministry, and we have to examine the possibilities and the financial resources."
The World Championships, the biggest event in the figure skating calendar apart from the Olympics, are held annually and last took place in Russia in 2011 when they were moved to Moscow following the earthquake and tsunami that rendered it unable to be held in the initial location of Nagano in Japan.
The most recent Championships did take place in Japan, in Saitama last month, with the 2015 and 2016 events due to be held in Shanghai and Boston respectively.
The last time the Championships were held in Russia was in Moscow in 2011 ©Getty Images
The last time the Championships were held in Russia was in Moscow in 2011
If the 2017 event does take place in Sochi, it will be a boost for the sporting legacy of the city following the Games as well as a further event in Russia's "Decade of Sport".
This has already included the the World Athletics Championships in Moscow and Summer Universiade in Kazan in 2013, the Winter Olympics and Paralympics, while the 2016 World Ice Hockey Championships, the 2018 FIFA World Cup and the 2019 Winter Universiade in Krasnoyarsk are among other top-class events due to be held in Russia.
The multitude of events taking place in the world's largest country also continued last week after Kazan was awarded the 2016 World Junior Athletics Championships.
But there have also been concerns to avoid too many events being held, and in February Mutko ruled out a Russian bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics to avoid congestion, after St Petersburg or Kazan were initially muted as potential contenders.
This was something he repeated with regard to the figure-skating bid, when he stressed that "we're absolutely busy until 2021".
But he added that he would not "object" if the Federation funded the hosting of the Championships out of its own pocket.
When contacted by insidethegames, the ISU could not confirm or deny the bids made for the 2017 Championships, or whether any other bids had been launched in addition to the one by Sochi.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does the Russian FS federation have the money to fund Worlds out of its own pocket?

Does the Russian FS federation have the money to fund Worlds out of its own pocket?

I think that is the big question. They may be able to make use of facilities constructed for the Olympics, as well as a ready volunteer network and sponsorship contacts, and hold expenses down in that way. I have the feeling that there is not much competition for hosting these events because of the financial burden on the local organizing committee.

I remember when U.S. Nationals was held in Spokane that the State of Washington was unable to fulfill a pledge of financial support, and the organizers had to run around at the last minute trying to drum up the money. Even though it was the best attended Nationals ever, they still needed to go back to the USFSA for more help as well as to make a big push to local merchants for support.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I think that is the big question. They may be able to make use of facilities constructed for the Olympics, as well as a ready volunteer network and sponsorship contacts, and hold expenses down in that way. I have the feeling that there is not much competition for hosting these events because of the financial burden on the local organizing committee.

I think you hit on why Olympic host cities have gotten / tried getting the worlds in years past, like Nagano (1998/02), Torino (2006/10), Vancouver (2010/bid for 2011 to fill in for Japan), and now Sochi (2014/possibly 2017). If the same network of volunteers is able to do it again there would be very little orientation / training, and from what I've seen from Olympic volunteers in the past is that they love to help out and train new people, the volunteer network attracts an incredible bunch of eager and passionate people. Plus, if the facilities already have some sort of master plan in place then it would just be a question of the funding.

But in terms of money ... whole different story. I think Russian FS / ministry would have considerable funds to host the games there.

Alba

Record Breaker
I'm a Man City girl & otherwise I support my adopted country Scotland - Finland sucks at soccer! :biggrin: You?

Ha. City Girl? You go girl.:thumbsup: :) I was rooting for you, I must say thanks to Balo and Mancini.:biggrin:
I'm Roma fan. Although I live in Milan now since 2010 and my boyfriend is an Inter Milan fan. We can't go to the stadium here together. :laugh: