Sochi bids for 2017 World Figure Skating champs - official | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Sochi bids for 2017 World Figure Skating champs - official

makaihime

Final Flight
Last season. Worlds, Grand Prix Final, NHK, in Japan Japanese win all 6 men and womens gold medals.

:popcorn: + Rostelecom, SA, SC, TEB, CoC, Sochi; 4 Gold, 3 Silver, 1 Bronze for Japanese (All of which are NOT in Japan)

All this does is remind me of Japan's dominance in singles. Or are you implying someone was robbed because of "home inflation"?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So far, I haven't seen a single intelligent objection in this thread.

I don't see any problem with it, unless the political situation there becomes unstable, which let's be honest, it could also do so just about anywhere.

My primary concern with Sochi at present is that they do a good job on the racetrack. I want everything fine and dandy for when Dan comes to sweep all before him. :)

Alba

Record Breaker
Yes, so what? Their skaters are strong and very deserving, unlike what happened in Sochi. The audience were nice and very warm towards all the skaters, unlike what happened in Sochi.

I don't think you should compare the Olympic audience in Sochi with Worlds. It's totally different one, and so far the russian audience has been very knowledgeable and kind towards all skaters.

Meoima

Match Penalty
My primary concern is that if Sochi hosted WC, what if the crowd were the same, and what if the judging were the same?:unsure:

If the crowd were much nicer, then no problem. I would like to book a flight to Russia, my aunt is living there and she can help me with Russian. But I have little hope.:scowl:

Alba

Record Breaker
My primary concern is that if Sochi hosted WC, what if the crowd were the same,mand what if the judging were the same?

So Canada shouldn't host the Worlds anymore because what if the judges were the same who awarded Chan the gold medal in 2013?
As for the crowd, again, from the experience the crowd is not the same. It's not anywhere not just in Sochi. The worlds were in Moscow and there was no problem with the crowd. Idem for the GPF in Sochi.

swc0931

Rinkside
They want to host World Championship in 2017, because they want to have their 2018 Olympic ticket as many as possible.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shouldn't the ISU be held accountable for the judges of WC? Does a hosting nation really have a say in who judges? If so wouldn't that also fall on the ISU's plate of responsibility or failure of?

yay

On the Ice
I don't think you should compare the Olympic audience in Sochi with Worlds. It's totally different one, and so far the russian audience has been very knowledgeable and kind towards all skaters.
Yes. Thank you. The Sochi olympics was a shame, but the fact is that very few of real figure skating fans could afford the tickets. Most of the Russian audience were indifferent socialites and people who just enjoy burning money.

Alba

Record Breaker
Yes. Thank you. The Sochi olympics was a shame, but the fact is that very few of real figure skating fans could afford the tickets. Most of the Russian audience were indifferent socialites and people who just enjoy burning money.

I also think that most of the figure skating fans in Russia live in north, not south like Sochi for example. So Moscow or St.Petersburg it's a better choice, but I also think that is good to use the new structures build for the Olympics and maybe that's the reason they want to held the WC in Sochi.

YLFan

Match Penalty
I watched every skating event and just don't see any reason to bash the crowd. This is just something said by people who don't like Rus and didn't like such a pro Rus crowd.

Alba

Record Breaker
I watched every skating event and just don't see any reason to bash the crowd. This is just something said by people who don't like Rus and didn't like such a pro Rus crowd.

I'm in no way a Russia hater, on the contrary. But, the crowd in Sochi was not good at all. I have nothing against being a pro Rus. when in Russia, it's the same for any country, as long as there is appreciation and warm applaudes for other skaters as well, like in Japan or in Canada for example.
However, as I already said above, Sochi Olympic crowd does not represent the Russian figure skating crowd at all.

yay

On the Ice
I also think that most of the figure skating fans in Russia live in north, not south like Sochi for example. So Moscow or St.Petersburg it's a better choice, but I also think that is good to use the new structures build for the Olympics and maybe that's the reason they want to held the WC in Sochi.
It's true not only for the figure skating, Sochi is a city that has no winter sport "culture" if you like. It's a summer resort so it makes sense. That was one of the most ridiculous money investment. Taking into account that there are far from enough sport facilities in the places where winter sport athletes are usually raised. As for the Worlds, even though I'm Russian, apart from Petersburg/Moscow, I would prefer it to be held somewhere in Europe(Finland, Germany, Spain..). Any place not too expensive to take a flight to and stay for a couple of days, unlike Sochi. I think the inflation for Russians in Sochi-17 would be nowhere near the olympics, though. It's not a thing to worry about.
I watched every skating event and just don't see any reason to bash the crowd
Was there any? :laugh: At the men's event in particular?

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
As for the Worlds, even though I'm Russian, apart from Petersburg/Moscow, I would prefer it to be held somewhere in Europe(Finland, Germany, Spain..). Any place not too expensive to take a flight to and stay for a couple of days, unlike Sochi.

I would disagree. It would be much more difficult for the Russians to go to Europe than Sochi. With the only, perhaps, exception: Sankt Petersburg inhabitants to Finland. For one thing, not every Russian has a foreign passport and getting visas could be tricky especially based on where it's heading now. March is off-season. I checked: Aeroflot's return ticket St. Petersburg - Sochi costs 10600 rbls. or 200 euros. There are lots of small hotels in Adler who offer 4 night stay at 8000 rbls. (40 euros per night) - just check booking.com. So, the total 4 day trip for two could cost 750 - 800 euros not including tickets. I do not see it as expensive.

Alba

Record Breaker
It's true not only for the figure skating, Sochi is a city that has no winter sport "culture" if you like. It's a summer resort so it makes sense. That was one of the most ridiculous money investment. Taking into account that there are far from enough sport facilities in the places where winter sport athletes are usually raised.

Yeah, why did they organized the Olympics in Sochi? I suppose there are other suitable cities in Russia right?

As for the Worlds, even though I'm Russian, apart from Petersburg/Moscow, I would prefer it to be held somewhere in Europe(Finland, Germany, Spain..). Any place not too expensive to take a flight to and stay for a couple of days, unlike Sochi.

Yeah the distance and the expenses could be a problem, but so is when you organize it in China, Japan, Australia or America. At least for Europeans.

I think the inflation for Russians in Sochi-17 would be nowhere near the olympics, though. It's not a thing to worry about.

What would FS be without conspiracy theories. :popcorn:

lavender

Record Breaker
My primary concern is that if Sochi hosted WC, what if the crowd were the same, and what if the judging were the same?:unsure:

If the crowd were much nicer, then no problem. I would like to book a flight to Russia, my aunt is living there and she can help me with Russian. But I have little hope.:scowl:

I agree. I may not like the judging in other countries like Canada but at least they were a supportive crowd. They even clapped a lot for D/W. I love when other countries respond no matter where they are from. Lets just go back to Japan they clap for everyone...Julia, Carolina...

Now I must pray because the Olympics were awful.

yay

On the Ice
I would disagree. It would be much more difficult for the Russians to go to Europe than Sochi. With the only, perhaps, exception: Sankt Petersburg inhabitants to Finland. For one thing, not every Russian has a foreign passport and getting visas could be tricky especially based on where it's heading now. March is off-season. I checked: Aeroflot's return ticket St. Petersburg - Sochi costs 10600 rbls. or 200 euros. There are lots of small hotels in Adler who offer 4 night stay at 8000 rbls. (40 euros per night) - just check booking.com. So, the total 4 day trip for two could cost 750 - 800 euros not including tickets. I do not see it as expensive.
Привет. :) Well, you seem to be right. I mean, I take your calculations on trust. I was referring to my own preferences and experience, the latter is bad in terms of expanses. However, I traveled only during the high season to both Europe and Sochi and that was the basis for my comparison. Anyway, it's good to know I'm wrong in this case.
Yeah, why did they organized the Olympics in Sochi? I suppose there are other suitable cities in Russia right?
To show-off, IMO.
There are plenty of them.

YLFan

Match Penalty
I notice how the 'controversy' is mostly fostered by people who have an open strong dislike of Russia as well as the Koreans who are obsessed with Yuna.

There is certain elements that desperately did not want a Rus to medal, specifically Yulia. I personally saw USA skating journalists on Twitter that were basically openly hoping for Yulia to falter. Then they got their wish. Then Adelina came a long out of nowhere at it drove them nuts.